PDA

View Full Version : Wwyd? moving

Starshine
07-16-2012, 09:18 PM
I am currently operating out of an apartment. I would really like to move into a house and have a backyard/more indoor space/basement for the kids. However, the area that I am in currently is rather expensive. I got a really great deal on the apartment though, and we are in a great neighbourhood. I have been looking for a while now at houses in the area, and they are just not in my price range. So, if I choose to move to a house, I will need to leave this area. In addition to it being a wonderful neighborhood (best in the city, in my opinion--I have lived in quite a few different areas here), there are not a lot of daycare providers here, which makes it easier for me to get clients.

So, what would you do? Stay in the apartment, that's a great price, in a great area--but, well, it's an apartment. Or move to a less desirable neighbourhood, with more competition, but have a house.

cfred
07-17-2012, 06:52 AM
That's a tough question. Is the daycare your only source of income? If so, I guess some consideration should be given to that fact. I suppose you need to weigh out the pros and the cons. I'd be inclined to stay put if I was full, was also turning people away, lived in a nice neighbourhood and so on. However, it is nice to have a bit more space, outside play area, etc. If you're making a good income from it and your expenses are reasonable, maybe you could lay out a very stringent budget and save, save, save for an area you like better? When you move, you can also raise your rates, which will help a bit. So far as beating out the competition if you move to busier neighbourhood, what can you do to make yourself more desirable? I'm currently in the same situation. I'm leaving my rental house and moving into a townhouse in an area with loads more competition. 3 of my clients are following me (great reference in itself), I open an hour earlier than everyone else, am an ECE and am flexible regarding pick up times. Of course, that flexibility is not advertised, lest people take advantage :) Check out the local competition and see what you can do better. Really pump yourself up and make sure that comes across in your website.

Good luck with a very big decision. It's scary making it, especially given our line of work, but once your decision is made, it's made and you have a path to follow :)

Inspired by Reggio
07-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Hmmm ~ tough one ... I tend to be a why fix what is not broken personality ~ if your business is viable in your current location and your family is thriving in the space and it is a neighborhood you all love and enjoy why make more expense and risk for yourself by relocating?

Being in an 'apartment' is not necessarily a bad thing ~ I currently live in a house with a yard HOWEVER my apartment that I had before meeting my spouse had way more square footage and space to work with in regards to both storage and how I could have set things up than this house does ... so the only 'perk' is the backyard and well to be honest we spend more time at the local PARK anyway so it is not something that is a 'huge' part of my program anyway and I could work with out ;)

My desire to be in a home was OWNERSHIP verses space and so forth ~ we wanted the investment of owning our home verses renting.

Cocoon
07-17-2012, 08:33 AM
You must be me:) I'm in same situation as you are. I also live in an apartment in a good desirable area. And I want to move to a house so that I will have more space, fenced garden and all the perks a big house can bring. And withing 2 months my husband's nephew will come and live with us. So I really need a bigger space.

I also have been looking but the houses and even town houses in my area are over our budget. Plus the extra utility bills on top. What i would suggest is stay where you are but keep looking. Hopefully, something will come. And also as long as your clients are fine with you operating from your apartment you should be fine. Don't mix "what I need with what I want" hope it helps.