PDA

View Full Version : Salary

Sunflower
03-24-2011, 02:22 PM
I am very curious to find out how much it varies from province to province and also how the daycare systems work in the rest of the country.
For example, I am in Quebec and I run a government subsidized daycare in my home. In order to remain a subsidized daycare I have to complete 45hrs of specialized courses (within the first 2 years of becoming subsidize )and an additional 6 hr course each year.
The parents pay me 7$ a day per child and the government pays me 19$/day per child. (before taxes )

When I first started out I was a " private " daycare and did not require a special permit to operate. My fee was 25 $ a day

agesandstagesdaycare
03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm in Ottawa and charge $40 a day per child for full-time. It varies in every province but also within the province.

Tot-Time
03-24-2011, 05:33 PM
In this area it varies by each area too! My rates are $44.00 per day, and I am slowly working my way up to $45/day if I stay in full time daycare.

I think when setting fees you have to consider your experience, your education, your program, and then charge what you think is fair based on the average rate of the area.

For example the average for my little neck of the woods is $35 - 45. I have my ECE, take workshops through the CCPRN, have a program, 17+ years experience in childcare, a good set up, so I feel justified in charging the high end of average.

Emilys4Guppies
03-24-2011, 05:42 PM
In our area the going rate has been $35/day but lately our municipality's home daycare network has been talking about raising rates to $40/day for private inhome care. There is a lady in our area who serves only organic food and she charges $45/day.

I think I've decided to raise my rates to $40/day in January of 2012. I currently charge $35 for fulltime, $25 for parttime and $20 for before/after care.

Play and Learn
03-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Rates in Kemptville, ON are $25-$35 (we're just south of Ottawa). As tot-time mentioned, I too have my ECE, and am registered within the College of ECEs in Ontario, so I feel I should charge on the top end. With food prices going up, this also justifies my decision on charging $35/day for full-timers, $25 for part-timers, and $20 for before & after schoolers. The centers in Kemptville are charging $36-42/day for full-timers.

*Hubby couldn't believe how much we're now spending on groceries! Just to buy 'good, healthy food (and not organic)' is freakin nuts!!!!

Sunflower
03-24-2011, 09:48 PM
I am clearly in the wrong province ! LOL Around here education does not determine your salary.( I think it should) If you are private the rate is $15 :ohmy: to$26 a day . If you are subsidized the rate is 26 a day. I charge the parents the $7/day for stats and my vacation time but the government does not pay us for that time. So by the time we pay for educational material , food, taxes etc we aren't left with too much! Good think I love my job :laugh:

giraffe
03-25-2011, 01:20 PM
$40 per day here too.

agesandstagesdaycare
03-25-2011, 01:30 PM
My plan is to go from $40 to $45 within a year or two. I too have 2yr ECE and 4 yr ECE degree as well. I wish I decided on $45 starting out. Oh well, live and let learn right? :)

momto3plus1angel
03-29-2011, 06:42 PM
This is a few days old but here if you take subsidized clients (which you can only do I believe if you work through a licensed agency) you only get between 22-24/day depending on which agency you go through. I'm in a small town north of Toronto.