PDA

View Full Version : Before and after school care policy handbook

paz
07-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

Wondering if any of the providers in Ontario offering Before&After school care are willing to share their contract sample and any other information pertaining fees: vacation/PD days/sick days/day off, etc. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much.

Play and Learn
07-19-2012, 08:18 AM
I just use the one, and the contract that they sign has any differences on it!

Stated on the contract would be:
hours that they're in care, price for full days (like PD Days), and then price for just b/a school, any holidays I take (ie Paid stats), etc.

paz
07-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Hello Play and Learn,

if charge by hour, how do I keep track and what if the parent decide to stay home and bring the child to school at any given time, they wont pay me since this is the service offered.
I am not sure how to go about doing this, it sounds confusing... I am a complete mess this week:unsure:

Play and Learn
07-19-2012, 08:49 AM
hmmm...I don't charge really by the hour (haven't since being a nanny!). I just give a flat rate and that way I know I'm being paid for my services.

For b/a school it's $20/day or $15/day for either one or the other. They're in my home max 2 hours.
For full-time (ie: PD.Days, summer) it's $45/day.

My rules are: If I'm open you pay. I don't care where the kid is, as long as I'm paid! They have to understand that they're paying for their childs' spot.

Hopefully that makes sense! If not, PM me!

MayaDS
07-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Hi - I'm new here! My kids will all be in school come Sept and am thinking of offering b/a school care...

I was wondering if breakfast and snacks are included in the $20/day, Play and Learn ? Thanks!!!

Play and Learn
07-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I don't do breakfast, and snack is only in the afternoon (a.m. snack is around 9-9:30) IF they want it. Kids out here would only be in my care from 7:30-8:40 a.m., and then from 4-5 p.m.

Hopefully that helps.

MeMe
08-20-2012, 10:34 AM
I am starting mine up in September. I have a PDF file of my policies and contract if your interested. The parents pay for stat holidays and days their kids are sick. If I am sick and can't care they don't get charged.

I charge $18 a day for before AND after and that includes breakfast and after school snack.
$12 for just either before OR after.

$35 for full day for PA Days and March Break

playfelt
08-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Just realize that school age kids can eat quite a lot and if you are only charging them $9 they will eat the equivealent of half of that amount.

Inspired by Reggio
08-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Just realize that school age kids can eat quite a lot and if you are only charging them $9 they will eat the equivealent of half of that amount.

Yup I agree ... school age children take up a space and often have a hallow leg as they are going through growth spurts and can be very active when outside .... my 6 year old today so far for am snack she ate 2 large bowls of yogurt so about 1/2 the $4 tub of Activia and 1/2 the container of $4 organic strawberries and 2 oatmeal cookies ~ so her morning snack alone was $4.50 worth of food she cost me ~ I would only me earning $2.25 an hour if I only charged her parent $9 per two hour session ;)

MeMe
08-20-2012, 01:30 PM
This is the going rate in my neighbourhood and town (some are doing $15/day) so to stay competitive this is the rate I have to charge.

Inspired by Reggio
08-20-2012, 01:42 PM
This is the going rate in my neighbourhood and town (some are doing $15/day) so to stay competitive this is the rate I have to charge.

Competitive is such a hard thing to determine in this industry not only for providers setting their fees but for clients seeking care and 'comparing' fees because we are often not comparing apples to apples but rather apples to a hammer ;)

So are they all FEEDING them for that price though ~ and if so WHAT are they feeding them because I personally just cannot see how much budget would be left over from $9 after you've fed them and covered the cost of the heat/hydro/etc not to mention any materials they might use to entertain themselves with during that two hours ~ I have had school age kids in the past who would use several $$ worth of craft supplies daily cause that is all they wanted to do was sit and create at the table away from the 'babies' ... charging that little would make me wonder 'whats the point cause financially I am better off to have a full time child in care cause I am hear 'working' all day anyway what difference does it make' .... it also would depend on the 'demand' for the service ~ if there are lots of school age spaces so that providers are undercutting each other to get clients than they drive the cost of care down too sadly.

In my community some people charge only $20 a day for a full 10 hour day of childcare but the clients provide all the food and the providers do not do 'programming' with the kids so no additional expenses for that and so forth so their 'overhead' is very low and they are keeping most of that $$ at the end of the day and than there are others who charge $35 for that exact same service still making clients send the food and no programming and so forth ... and than there are those of use who are in the middle at around $30 or up to the $35 and spending a fortune on food / program supplies and so forth so at the end of the day we are making less than the $20 a day provider :roll:

This industry is challenging to say the least to 'budget' for because there are so many different priorities and some parents have no clue what they are 'paying' for when choosing childcare!

TinyTots
02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi MeMe,
I too am just starting out with B/A care and would really appreciate your help - can I get your PDF file with your policies and contract?
Thank you! :)