PDA

View Full Version : Early drop off, but still within operating hours?

Starshine
07-24-2012, 09:39 AM
I have a family, who when they contracted care, said their drop-off time would be 8:00. My operating hours start at 7:00. Lately, they have been dropping their child off closer to 7:30. Now, obviously it's still within my operating hours, and they never use more than the 9 hours alloted regardless of drop-off time--it's just more of an inconvenience for me not knowing what time they are going to be here. For example, today, I had a little one with a heat rash that I had in the bathtub this morning to cool down, when they showed up at 7:30 instead of 8. If I had known they would be here at 7:30, I wouldn't have had a kid in the bathtub at that time! Should I say something or not?

dodge__driver11
07-24-2012, 10:08 AM
This is Why I use contracted hours now, then if this happens I can point them too the contract and remind them of the times noted.

Play and Learn
07-24-2012, 10:22 AM
I would, as they're USING you! Just state to them politely, that when you signed them on, we agreed that you were dropping off at this time. Ask them if they would like to change it to 7:30, and then to please keep it constant. If they know they're going to be early/late, to please let you know within ____ Time frame.

They should be respecting YOU and YOUR business!

Inspired by Reggio
07-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Yes I would say something about the importance of 'routine' and ability to plan the routine on your part being important when caring for multiple children and use this morning as the EXACT reason as to why you need to know roughly within 5 minutes either way of projected arrival and departure times for the kids ~ it is just BEST for everyone!

apples and bananas
07-24-2012, 11:11 AM
I don't post regular open or close hours anymore either. And when I have to... like on daycare bear... i make them them reasonable and post that extended hours are available.

My door is open and unlocked 10 min before arrival for drop off and pick up and parents know they are welcome to walk in. I think this makes my house seem welcome.... it also makes my house seem unwelcome if they have to ring the doorbell. Makes them think that I'm not expecting them.

kidlove
07-24-2012, 11:14 AM
yes!!! because your time means something and they need to respect that! I have that happen to me often with one family in particular and it makes me feel like they have less respect for me than others because of what they do. I have approched parents in the past and asked if they would like to change their drop off time to the new time they are chosing. Afew times they have agreed and sometimes they will say oh I'm sorry I had to work early this week or we were just trying a dif sched. My response is "that's fine but I really need to know what time each child will arrive, so I can be better prepared for them". I really think some people think that Day Cares are like stores, they have open and close times, and as long as they fall within them they are ok. I think that is disrespectful.

Momof4
07-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Well, first, I would never put a child in the tub, so you are going way above the call of duty. If the child is that uncomfortable and needs medication for their rash then I would send them home.

Then, if a family was showing up a 1/2 hour before they were scheduled I would have a sit down meeting with them and ask them if these are the new hours and let them know that they can't just show up whenever it is convenient for them. What if you went 1/2 hour early to your dentist or doctor? Would they just say, oh sure, if it's more convenient for you we'll get you right in. NO!

It's all about RESPECT FOR YOUR DAYCARE PROVIDER!!!

Lou
07-24-2012, 07:38 PM
I had the oppostie problem..the child's drop off time was at 7:30, then they suddenly started dropping him off at 8-8:15. It annoyed me because he was my earliest drop off and I honestly could have used that extra half hour in bed instead of waiting by the front door. I asked Mom one morning, "I've noticed ___ has been coming in 1/2hr-45 later than the drop off time we discussed. Should we make 8am his new drop off time?" At first she seemed a little flustered, but then apologized profusely saying that dh's schedule changed and he doesn't have to be until later...etc." But to point, we planned for a new agreed upon drop off time.

kidlove
07-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Feel your pain there Lou I start at 6am. had a couple times my 6:30 drop off not show up at all, my next was about 7:30 drop off. although its only a matter of less than an hour...sleep is sleep! And anyone who cares for crazy kids all day (like 12 hours a day) knows how important a little extra rest can be. Needless to say, after I addressed it, it never happened again. I would prefer a text in the middle of the night letting me know you wont be there, I check it in the am and if there is a cancel first thing..I hit snooze another couple times. :sleep:
Like I explained to that parent..Just shows respect to the provider to let me know rather than leave me waiting at my door!