PDA

View Full Version : I am new with a few questions!

pinks
07-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum.It is really great to see so much support for the day care providers.
I had a few questions,i hope someone can help me out.
I am planning to start a before and after school program from september at my home in Mississauga,Ontario.
1-Do I need a license to do this?How many kids can I take if I dont have a license(I have 2 kids of my own)?
2-For months of december and march,which have holidays,do you charge the same rate as the other months,or charge less during these months?
3-Are there any forms or regulations/rules I need to print out and give parents?Where can I find these forms?
I hope someone can guide me,since I am not finding enough information about this,whatever I read on the government sites are so confusing.
Thanks,
Pinks

Inspired by Reggio
07-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Pinks ~ congratulations on your new venture!

Assuming you are considering offering this service from your RESIDENTIAL HOME in which case in Ontario can care for 5 or less children under the age of 10 including your own without requiring a license from the Ministry of Education OR you can volunteer to go the license agency route from your home in which you can still only care for 5 or less children under the age of 10 and now you have to count your own children unless they are over 6 years of age and you have to meet their safety rules for your house and so forth to be 'contracted' via the agency!

If you want to care for MORE than 5 children you would be required to get a 'license' from the Ministry of Education to operate as a 'day nursery' .... this would likely mean you would need to be operating in a an area zoned for something more than residential and so forth ... there are additional fire codes, zoning bi-laws for parking, wheel chair accessibility and bathrooms and window space, playground space and a whole bunch of red tape to care for more than 5 children ~ you would also have to hire a Registered Early Childhood Educator to 'run' your program for you if you do not hold this level of education yourself and so forth. If this is something you are thinking I can provide links for you for more info to research.

Your local Ontario Early Years Centre should have resources and supports in place for home childcare providers ~ you might try there to see if there is a local network they can point you in the direction of?

As for setting your fees ~ everyone does that differently depending on how they like to budget ~ some people have a set fee based on the space so it is the same regardless, some have a Before and After school rate and than a PD care day rate if care is needed and you pay for what you use ... it will depend on what works for YOU and the norm in Mississauga.

Same with contracts for care and polices and so forth everyone offers different things based on exerpeince ~ here in my home town our Ontario Early Years Centre offers a 'home childcare training course' which gives providers 'sample' contracts and forms to choose from and make their 'own' depending on needs, covers the financial end of business ownership and all the 'laws' regarding being a home childcare provider .... can you see if the Mississauga ones do the same?

KingstonMom
07-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Hi there, and welcome!

1. If you are doing private in-home daycare, then no, you do not need any sort of license. You can care for 5 children NOT including your own 2, (I believe Reggio meant to word it that way)

2. My families pay in advance, every 2 weeks. I charge for STAT holidays but I DO NOT charge when I take a vacation or sick day. (Some daycare providers charge for both their sick days and holidays) If they choose to keep their kid home for Christmas break, and I am open, they still pay. Same goes for summer or March breaks. Again, you are the boss, and can decide if you want to do it this way or not.)

3. If you are going to run privately, then you do not need any regulation rules or forms. HOWEVER, you should look into developing a contract. This will be soemthing both you and the [parents sign stating the rate they will pay, how often, late pmt fees, chage for stat holidays, sick policy (you dont want them sending you their sick kid to care for all day!). PM me for a copy of my contract I created.

Lastly, you are obligated to issue receipts to parents at year end for tax purposes, because you do this, you are eligible to claim portions of your utility bills, food, craft supplies, toys, equipment etc.
The going rate depends on your area. I am in Kingston and I charge $32 per kid per day. Mississagua area could be higher, or lower, depending on the demand.

Good Luck! hope this helps!

pinks
07-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Thank you so much Reggio and Kinstonmom for the detailed replies.I really needed that information.I plan on getting only 4 kids anyways,so i guess I will be within the regulation.
Kingstonmom,I will just send you a pm for the contract.
Thanks,
Pinks

treeholm
07-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Welcome Pinks!
I'm a newbie too, so no advice to give except to read this forum regularly!! The support I've found here has been unbelievable!!!!

KingstonMom
07-24-2012, 01:33 PM
oh! and dont forget to read every single post in Judy's blog justthebabysitter.co m
Hilarious and VERY informative!!

Inspired by Reggio
07-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Yes my apologizes 5 daycare NOT including or 5 in addition to your own for private unregulated however you want to word it - only included if you go the licensed angency route :)