PDA

View Full Version : Do you see any problems with this... under age picking up.

apples and bananas
07-24-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a client who has left their older child home with a cousin to babysit for the summer... maybe 14 or 15 I would guess. I know who she is and have met her before. She showed up today to pick up the younger one that I care for during the day. I didn't get a call or text or anything letting me know she would be picking him up.

I feel like there's a concern there... but I'm not sure what.

Does anyone see a problem with an underage picking up a 2 year old?

Thanks,

Starshine
07-24-2012, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with a 14/15-year-old picking up the child. I WOULD have a problem with not being told about it beforehand--I would have called the parents and made sure it was okay with them before letting the child go.

Play and Learn
07-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with a 14/15-year-old picking up the child. I WOULD have a problem with not being told about it beforehand--I would have called the parents and made sure it was okay with them before letting the child go.

Yup, same here. TO COVER YOUR ASS....and make sure the parents are aware of this: The parents NEED to let you know who is picking up at the end of the day. That you cannot release their child if the parent didn't let you know ahead of time.

Inspired by Reggio
07-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Ya ~ my problem would not be with her age but the lack of communication ~ I would not have released the child to her to be honest unless the parents had added her to my release to list in WRITING or they had as a minimum called me to add her temporarily under the family emergency protocol ~ which means the person on the phone give 'verbal directions' has to know the family emergency protocol password ~ otherwise the kid stays here until someone ON the list shows up!

My policy is I cannot release to anyone under 12 even if they give 'permission' ~ cause that was the policy in all the centres I worked in had.

apples and bananas
07-24-2012, 04:50 PM
thank you ladies. My thoughts too. I did call mom and I did address it with her after the child was gone.

Momof4
07-24-2012, 05:41 PM
I won't even release a child to a grandparent, let alone a teenager, without first being informed and meeting them ahead of time. It's in my contract that I do not release children to anyone except the parent.

You should ask the parents tomorrow if they would really like you to just let their child go with anybody who comes to your door to claim them without permission!

kidlove
07-25-2012, 07:07 AM
In U.S. we are required to have all names of possible pik ups on file before hand. Also have to be verbally informed of the person other than parent picking up. I guess though after that, if the parent is ok with this child picking up her child, thats the parents choice. As uncomfy as it makes you feel. I wouldnt entrust my children with a 14/15 yr old. BUT i also started babysitting when I was 11. hmmm. not sure.

Judy Trickett
07-25-2012, 07:09 AM
I would need a signed form that says the parents agree to release the child to her. That way if something happens YOU are not on the hook for it.

Sandbox Sally
07-25-2012, 08:56 AM

Ditto all this. I would have a conversation with the parents about safety.

Littledragon
07-25-2012, 09:33 AM
In my policies, it states that I need 24 hours notice if someone other than mom or dad (or other person I know about) is picking up the child. If it is an emergency (my husband suggested) they text me a picture of the person who is picking them up, or give me their name and date of birth and I check for ID at the door. There is NO WAY I would release the child to someone I wasn't told would be picking them up - even if I'd met them before. You never what goes on in these families....

Inspired by Reggio
07-25-2012, 09:43 AM
.... If it is an emergency (my husband suggested) they text me a picture of the person who is picking them up, or give me their name and date of birth and I check for ID at the door.....

Yup this is a part of my release procedure as well ~ I am slightly embarrassed to admit I have had to ID dads before because they come at the interview and than a year passes and you never see them cause mom does all the drop off and pick up and well you are just not that 100% sure if it is 'really' them cause they've grown a beard or removed a beard and what not!

Toregone
07-25-2012, 05:32 PM
If I have notice I would be ok with the age. If the parents feel the teenager can handle the responsibility it is not my place to interfere. However she would need to be added to thier pick up list. I have all parents keep a list of people autorized for pick up on file here. They need to tell me ahead of time (even just a text or call that day is fine) and the first time I meet someone I check ID at the door. I think texting a picture of the person is a bit extreme, but you have to feel comfortable with your system.