PDA

View Full Version : Having the wost day ever. Don't know if this is something I can continue.

Littledragon
07-25-2012, 01:42 PM
i am having such a BAD day!! I have been crying almost all day! I don't know if I can continue, problem is, I don't really have a choice!

I've only been open officially for 2 months (hense my 10 questions a day) and already I have someone leaving. They're leaving bc she never ended up finding a job as she'd hoped and they can't afford to stay. Which is fine. But my policies state that she give THREE weeks notice. She sent me a letter one Monday and said, I can't give you three weeks notice bc I can't afford to pay for the last week. Except, um, you HAVE TO. I don't know what to do ! I sent her an email but she hasn't responded. I will be pretty screwed if she doesn't pay me the last week. But really, what can I do? If she doesn't pay me, there isn't much I can do.

And then the other kid I've had that has been driving me up the wall, well his parents, have finally done it. I am FINALLY done. I've made excuses in the past but I AM DONE. Two days in a row, he let his kid sleep till 12 and then brought him over when HE KNOWS they go to bed at 1:30. He SCREAMS when he wants something and he's kept EVERYONE up - including my son, which is unacceptable to me. I want to fire them tonight, but I can't! I won't even be able to survive without the little girl and so I JUST CAN'T do it. My husband is ALL ABOUT MONEY so being happy and broke as opposed to being unhappy and with money is what he'd rather.

I am SO STUCK and I HATE IT. I hate how hard it is to find clients! I hate how this kid's ****ing parents can't follow SIMPLE rules and I hate that I am at their mercy!! I've done everything IN MY POWER to make them listen and they refuse so talking to them isn't going to fix anything.

I hate this part of the business. I am ready to BURST

Lou
07-25-2012, 02:03 PM
(((hugs)))
1) Yes, they do have to pay you. It's written and signed in your contract right? Copy and paste that section of your contract to remind her.
2) Give the family a final warning. Tell them that you will no longer be providing care for ______ if the disrespect towards your business continues. It is imperative that they follow routine. And give them until the end of the month to see the change.

I understand about your husband and money....mine is SO like this but is getting better (he was raised that money is #1 in life above all else). How are you advertising?

jec
07-25-2012, 02:26 PM
If she doesn't have it ~ there is no real way of making her pay. One of the down sides to this business.
We've all gone through tough patches and your in one now..doesn't help you feel better but- it will get better. You have to get through the storm and then the clearing is beautiful !!

I'd just get out there and advertise like crazy- all the sites, flyers etc. Create a web page, fb page and get the word out there. Post on grocery stores..everywhere!
Hope your feeling better by end of day..this too shall pass

Cocoon
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
I really hope that you will get out of this situation ASAP. And I hope and pray that you will never be at someone else's mercy. I been there and I know how it feels. I can understand your husband's point of view too. Yes you are unhappy but at least food is on the table. Especially, if you have kids you have to be able to provide for them so for that matter I think I will choose to be unhappy but with money. And don't forget this is temporary and you will find lovely clients soon. Hope you will feel better soon. :glomp:

Littledragon
07-25-2012, 02:32 PM
(((hugs)))
1) Yes, they do have to pay you. It's written and signed in your contract right? Copy and paste that section of your contract to remind her.
2) Give the family a final warning. Tell them that you will no longer be providing care for ______ if the disrespect towards your business continues. It is imperative that they follow routine. And give them until the end of the month to see the change.

I understand about your husband and money....mine is SO like this but is getting better (he was raised that money is #1 in life above all else). How are you advertising?

Thank you. I'm advertising on Kijiji, here, flyers, a bunch of random childcare websites. I have also spent all afternoon looking at the help wanted ads on kijiji and calling them. They never turn out to be anything good but we'll see. Mys husband told me to go get a full time job and we'll put our son in care, but I can't. And I think this is the hardest part. This job isn't a choice for me. It's the ONLY alternative to staying home with my son, apart from being a VERY poor stay at home mom lol

Momof4
07-25-2012, 03:11 PM
It really sounds like you need to start over fresh. Take it as a learning experience as a newly self employed businesswoman so that you know what to watch out for in the future. My first year was sheer hell and my very first clients took off without notice or paying me for the last week of care. I knew where the Mom worked and asked her for the money about 3 times then just gave up and never looked at her again. I'm still mad and that was 4 years ago, but I certainly learned about getting a deposit up front and having a no-nonsense contract and payment plan.

For the child who is not adhering to your schedules and routines and the disrespectful parents, get rid of them. Interview your little butt off and find some great people and replace them ASAP!

Littledragon
07-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Well, I am happy to tell you all that I have an interview. It's a little boy of 22 months which is exactly what I've been looking for! The hours are a little less so I am charging her a TAD less, but I'd rather that than nothing right? Then, I am going to look for a little boy of 12-16 months and replace the little boy who's parents don't listen. Things are looking up little bit. I guess I just had to do some work. I actually called this mom bc she had an ad in the wrong place on kijiji so I knew she wasn't getting replied. Hopefully it works out.

Thank you ladies so much for being SO supportive these past few months. Honest to God, I have NO IDEA what I would do without this forum. I probably would be stark raving mad!!

All my gratitude!

Sandbox Sally
07-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Go, Littledragon, go!! You can do this...so glad to hear about your interview. Once you get this one, I'd work on replacing the disrespectful people.

Toregone
07-25-2012, 05:26 PM
YAY for getting an interview!! My fingers are crossed for you, I hope it pans out. Just keep positive and things will start to flow for you. I advertised for over 2 months before I got a client. It happens, but you can work through it.

kidlove
07-25-2012, 05:46 PM
I have done this for almost 10 years and have had MANY days like yours today. Have faith, God never gives us anything we cant handle. In the end you are going to realize you are stronger than you ever thought. In the mean time, hold strong and remember everything happens for a reason. Just like any other job we have bad days and want to quit, have a paycheck that holds us where we are. BUT..unlike any other job, we have the ability to stay home, raise our own children and love the children of the buttheads (some parents) :) that make our job difficult. But in the end its all worth it. If you do this job,hopefully, you have a love for children like I do, and that overpowers everything else. Just weed through the bad, keep the good...and love the kids!!!!!! Tomorrow will be better, I promise.:yes:
took me a good couple years to feel like I had control. Still lose it every now and again and again and again. :)

mimi
07-25-2012, 06:08 PM
See, things are turning for you already. I was in panic mode 2 months ago knowing I was losing 4 to school (all p/t) and 1 I thought I would have another year is now being cared for by Grandma. I thought, there goes my business. It is so easy to get down and feel like you won't ever be full, but then for me came a referral call and a cold call and another referral in those weeks and I now have 3 lovely little ladies starting in Sept. I have learned to expect the unexpected -lost job, pregnancies, moving, grandparents babysitting etc. and realize instead of panicking I need to jump into action mode and advertise like hell. I am so happy you have found another little one. Good luck.

Judy Trickett
07-26-2012, 09:27 AM
You need to be taking a deposit from people and applying it to the last two weeks of care. That way if they leave you in the lurch you have already been paid.

There are providers who use the deposit at the beginning of care but I hazard against this unless you are in the financial position of being able to suddenly go without income should someone up and leave without notice.

Inspired by Reggio
07-26-2012, 10:20 AM
You need to be taking a deposit from people and applying it to the last two weeks of care. That way if they leave you in the lurch you have already been paid...

Agreed ~ security deposit = to the amount of notice you desire so if your notice period is two weeks than two weeks deposit, if three than three weeks deposit .... just like renting an apartment you pay first and last up front and than you continue to always get payment in advance of care!

That way if they do 'damage' while a client or 'renege' on a contract agreement ~ you 'terminate' on the spot without any further service and keep the deposit in lieu of your loss just like a landlord would do for his space with a crappy tenant ;)

Littledragon
07-26-2012, 01:51 PM
I should do that. I always feel bad asking for two weeks worth of care up front, but I think it is something I should seriously think about doing. I do ask for a week, but in all honestly, a week gets you almost nowhere.

On a lighter note: I GOT A NEW KID!!!!!! Had the interview this morning and they start Monday. The little boy seems great and his parents seem great too! I had a fight with the mom who's taking her child out, but she's pregnant and emotional and sounds like dr. jekell and mr hyde. her last email, she begged me not to take out my anger on her child. what?! lol NEVER. Anyways, so things are getting better on that front. Since I was able to hire the new little one, I was able to call the "old" one and offer her a "deal" she pays me for one week and her last day is tomorrow or she pays me in full and she stays for two weeks. I'm waiting on her current decision. :)

Things are looking A LOT better than they did yesterday. Thanks GOD lol

apples and bananas
07-26-2012, 02:17 PM
i'm glad things are looking better for you. It's hard in the summer to take on new clients. I'm about to terminate one of mine tomorrow but I will go 5 weeks without that space filled. Good thing I'm a planner! :)

I'm glad things are looking up for you. It's such a good feeling when you take on a new kid. I hope this one works out long term!

momof2cuties
08-14-2012, 11:06 AM
I would just start over :) Take one last try at the Mother that you need payment from ie; send her a notice of the highlighted statement in your contract where it says she needs to pay, and a copy of where she signed it! Give her 'x amount of days' to pay it. If she don't, just lump it up to a bad experience and move on. As for the late parents, I would send a letter stating your drop off times. Maybe if the child isn't dropped of by a certain time, you are unable to provide car for that day. Be clear and persistent with your policies. Maybe stating if it happens again they will be terminated. Sometimes parents need that reminder to straighten up! I had to do that with one parent that had 2 no-show's with in a week and a half! I would start advertising to get some more kids, and when you do get more kids..if you are still having trouble with the late parents you can terminate them and use their spot for parents that will respect you!