PDA

View Full Version : Schedule

Carina
07-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Hi there,

I am beginning a home daycare this fall. I was wondering what schedule/routine has worked best for anyone?

Do you do circle time (calendar, songs, stories,) with all ages of kids? Thank you and look forward to hearing your comments and suggestions! :D

Dreamalittledream
07-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Hello! Here's my schedule (hope it helps).
It's a rough outline as you will need to flex throughout the day; but you will find that the children adjust much faster and are happier with a consistent routine. For example, as I start to assemble lunch or snack on the plates each of my little ones automatically tidy, I don't even have to say a word anymore. After lunch they are all chanting "Naptime" & and I get no fuss whatsoever as they toddle off to their respective nap rooms.
7 am to 8:30 Arrival/free play
8:30 to 9 Circle Time (usually the really little ones, under 2, will get up and wander...I don't force them to stay).
9 Morning Snack time
9 to 11 Am Naptime (for those needing 2 naps) & Outdoor play or indoor activities (weather permitting) for the rest (I carry a monitor to keep an ear/eye on the nappers).
11:30 Lunch
Noon to 2 Naptime (1 to 3 for the morning nappers..this gives me smaller ratio time for activities with the young 2 & unders)
3:00 Snack time
As weather allows we are back outside until pickup time (which for me is anywhere from 3:45 to 4:30)...this makes it much easier for parents as the kids are dressed and ready to go.

Dreamalittledream
07-26-2012, 10:24 PM
I also wanted to add that often I will throw in more than one circle time in a day. You will know when the troops are restless...arguments start during free play....etc. Don't be afraid to have a circle time in that case (felt story, puppet show, storybook, I Spy...etc.); it regroups everyone, causes them to sit and calm down. Really helps.

raincanada
07-26-2012, 11:25 PM
My day is very similar to "Dream a Little Dream"

kidlove
07-27-2012, 06:49 AM
My regular schedule stays the same all the time i.e. snacks, meals, naps, playtimes. The lagistics however change with the group of kids. More babies=their level activities. More toddlers=their level activities. You have to gear it to what the group needs. I do preschool for 3-5yrs. I have found before 3 just isnt ready. (full program) you can always do days of the week songs, and alpha and counting. But i dont waste my time with a full paid for program when they are too little. :)

Momof4
07-27-2012, 04:47 PM
I open at 7:30 but usually have all my children arriving at 8am so breakfast is served shortly after 8
9 - 11 outside field trip to library, parks, or inside rainy day play in my toyroom - 1-2 days per week are learning/crafting days
11 preparing lunch - the children freeplay
11:30 lunch
12:00 circle time
12:30 nap/quiet time until 2:30-3ish
3 afternoon snack
3:30-4:45 pickup times vary so the children freeplay

I do the same songs for all age groups but the older children like to play extra games like What Time is it Mr. Wolf? or Red light Green light or Musical Mats (instead of chairs), etc.

I find that as the age group changes my times change slightly. Experiment and do what works best for your group.