PDA

View Full Version : Ignoring a termination letter... what would you do?

apples and bananas
07-28-2012, 09:51 PM
I emailed out a term letter this morning. I realize not the most professional way to do it, but there are good reasons involved on why it was done this way.

I emailed to both her personal and business accounts. When I email her I always get an almost immediate response via blackberry/Iphone... whichever she uses.

Today, I recieved no response! Now I'm worried she's going to show up on Monday and claim she didn't get an email... and here I am with all of her stuff in a bag at the front door.

I wouldn't put it past this one to "pretend" she didn't get it and just hope I take her child. I don't really want that conflict while I have other kids (and possibly other parents dropping off) in the house.

So, what would you do if you issued a termination and the parent ignored it... or didn't get it. How would you handle that situation?

I don't have anything of any value to her of her's (clothes that are too small, diapers that he dosn't need as he's starting into pull ups, some wipes) so it's very possible she just doesn't want to respond to me. She has alternate care so she doesn't need me.

Momof4
07-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Oh my dear, don't you remember I advised you to type the letter? Hopefully you know their full address and have a car. Drive everything over to them tomorrow with a written letter and hang it on their doorknob! Be done with it and be sure. Keep a copy of the letter for your records. I know I'm old school and everybody does things electronically these days. But sometimes paper is best. You don't need to stress over it, make it a sure thing.

Inspired by Reggio
07-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Ya ~ that is a stressful place to put yourself :(

As much as I hate conflict myself IMO termination is something that is best done in person ~ I actually have right in my contract that clients can not do it via 'email' it has to be in writing and handed to me in person so there can be no 'misunderstanding' around if it was received so I would expect myself to do no different .... even if it is the old 'there is a letter in the diaper bag please take a moment to read it when you get home and give me a call if you have any questions'. That way you are SURE that they have received it.

If it were me I would either 'call' or as Momof4 has suggested print out the copy and 'drive over' and drop off the things for them ~ even if she had emails confirmation of the email I would take the stuff to her either way as I would not want them showing up on my door for their 'stuff' either just in case she is not professional about having been terminated and comes cussing in front of other clients or the children.

apples and bananas
07-29-2012, 08:23 AM
I know she's received it. There's no way she's away from both of her email accounts for the entire weekend. She has her own business! I'll wait it out and see what happens in the morning. I have a letter typed up with her final reciept. Worst case she shows up like normal and I'll have to address it then. Lucky I only have 1 child tomorrow morning and the drop off time should be half an hour apart. I also half think she's going to show with a gift and an appology begging for me to continue care. She doesn't need me right now, but she will when the summer's over. I'm just going to have to tell her, this isn't a discussion I can have while I'm caring for other kids. My desicion is made, here is your stuff, if she'd like to discuss it further then she'll have to contact me in the evening after hours. And if she wants to leave her son she'll need to leave me 2 weeks pay! I don't want to drive over and leave everything on her doorstep. Something about that seems very... I'm breaking up with you. LOL

jec
07-29-2012, 09:05 AM
I agree with the ladies- you need to ensure she got it by speaking to her so you don't want to start your Monday off this way. Good luck.
I've only had to term one family and yikes it was tough but once I spoke to them it was done- you'll feel better to just end it right away.

apples and bananas
07-29-2012, 09:28 AM
So i chose to send a follow up email this morning looking for confirmation and asking when she would like to pick up the remainder of her childrens things.

Her response... I did get your email... i think it's ludicrous that you're kicking my kids out of daycare over 3 min. Leave my things on the front steps... or whatever.

LOL... what a joke. The term letter was very specific. She has had 3 lates over the past 45 days. 1 was an hour and came with a warning. The second was 15 min and came with another warning. The third was 5 min, but I had to contact her to come and get her kids! It would have been later if I had left it. Oh, and did I mention she was a day late paying me this week too? Oh well... My house... my business... my rules. No one likes to be fired right?

Now... what do I do with her things. I'm going to send her receipts in the mail ... registered of course! But what do I do with the other stuff... a few sweaters (that don't fit her kids anymore) bathing suits... diapers.. wipes... extra stuffy that she leaves here for the youngest.

Inspired by Reggio
07-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Well at least you know she got it and can now enjoy the rest of your weekend and morning tomorrow without worry!

Sadly when you terminate someone ... both in business and in personal life ... they NEVER see their role in it even when it is blatantly obvious and irrefutable on your end most people do not look deep enough at their own actions and role in their adversity and just 'blame others' for their unfortunate lot in life ~ this is why unless you are terminating with 'grounds' and not wanting to return a deposit or something it is often best to just leave it as short and sweet as possible 'after much reflection I have decided that we are no longer a match for service' and just leave it at that and return any 'deposit' they might have left that required notice on either part to apply.

As for her stuff ~ I would do as she requested and drop them off to her house next time your in the neighborhood ~ not like they are something someone is going to 'steal' off her front porch and she obviously does not want to come pick them up from you based on her email and condesending tone towards you. Sending her receipt and other paperwork via register mail is also wise cause than you have a paper trail of the termination for your tax records.

jec
07-29-2012, 09:59 AM
I would just respond that you'll be sending her receipts by registered mail and will have her things as she requested, on your front porch for her to pick up any time today. Wish her and her family all the best and end it on a perfessional note.
At least it's over with.

Mamma_Mia
07-29-2012, 11:47 AM
I would just dropp the stuff off on the steps and drive away. If you leave it at your place she can claim A) B) &C) blah b;ah....so go to her place leave the things there. Then send her a message (I'd call...99% sure she wont pick up when she sees it's you) and say I've left your things like you asked. A recipt will be on its way to you and leave it at that.

Momof4
07-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Good grief, what a woman! I'm glad she's going to be out of your life, but what about the money she owes you? Did she mention that in her last abrasive email back to you?

apples and bananas
07-29-2012, 12:42 PM
She paid me this weekend. She's always paid by email money transfer. When we started she asked if she could delay until Saturday. They are a check to check family and needed her other halfs cheque in the bank first. I agree'd, but later gave her plenty of notice and changed her policy to the last day of pay. I foolishly didn't word it properly. I should have said "on the last day of care PRIOR TO PICK UP" cause she kept sending me the email money transfer Friday night. Well, this weekend... of all weekends, I had to send her a text to remind her saturday morning. How frustrating! I sent the termination after I recieved money. So, I'm good!

Lou
07-29-2012, 12:50 PM
I would leave it on a professional note as well, tell her that her things are out on the front porch for pick up before Tuesday evening (after Tuesday you will assume she does not want them), tell her her receipt is on the way and wish her the best!

Judy Trickett
07-30-2012, 06:19 AM
People get themselves terminated from daycare. I would drop her stuff off at her house (so you are on her turf - if she causes a scene then you have the control and power to just leave) and not give her another thought.

kidlove
07-31-2012, 08:31 AM
Just keep her stuff at your house and notify her it is there for pickup within so many days, if she doesnt come just dump it to Good Will or whatever. Word to the wise: what ever you do, DONT BRING IT TO THEIR HOUSE! I dod this once and the Mother Yelled me off her porch. about a week later, i recieved a letter stating if i "harassed" them any more I would recieve a letter from her attourney. What?:huh: Sometimes when you make "special" people angry, they act CRAZY.:cursing: lol