PDA

View Full Version : Fruit Fliess!!

KingstonMom
07-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Does anybody have a good method to getting rid of these little s**ts?? We have used up our fruit supply for last week, and all the new fruit |I bought i put right in the fridge. So there is nothing sitting out in the way of food, idrty bibs, garbage etc.
Apart from my wine over the weekend that they seem more in love with than me, they just hover around the kitchen area for more stuff to feed off (or whatever their purpose in life is...)
Is it just a matter of time before the fly outta here, or just a regular summertime occurance in a daycare home filled with fresh fruit all the time?

Mamma_Mia
07-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Get a water bottle cut the top portion off and tape it back so that the spout is IN the bottle or get a cup & create a funnel with paper.....

The idea is that the flies get into the jar but they are DUMB and can't get back out. In the bottle/cup but some apple cider vinegar and a touch of dish soap. The vinegar will attract them, the soap will kill them and if anything they can't get out and die anyways.

I had a BAD case 2 years ago and made 5 traps everywhere LOL

Move fast because they breed quickly and have like 30 'babies' each YIKES!

Dreamalittledream
07-30-2012, 06:02 AM
Get a water bottle cut the top portion off and tape it back so that the spout is IN the bottle or get a cup & create a funnel with paper.....

The idea is that the flies get into the jar but they are DUMB and can't get back out. In the bottle/cup but some apple cider vinegar and a touch of dish soap. The vinegar will attract them, the soap will kill them and if anything they can't get out and die anyways.

I had a BAD case 2 years ago and made 5 traps everywhere LOL

Move fast because they breed quickly and have like 30 'babies' each YIKES!. I did something similar; I took a glass, put clear plastic wrap over the opening & poked holes in it (I also used a bit of red wine instead of the Cider Vinegar).

apples and bananas
07-30-2012, 10:38 AM
I've done the plastic wrap over the glass thing too ... with a little wine of fruit juice in the bottom and it works wonders!

Inspired by Reggio
07-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Yup ~ I keep a homemade version of this on the counter all summer ~ there is some fruit I just do not 'like' cold like bananas, avocado, tomatoes that need to be on the counter and attract these things :(

giraffe
07-30-2012, 01:00 PM
I've done the plastic wrap over the glass thing too ... with a little wine of fruit juice in the bottom and it works wonders!

I do this one too, it works great!

Momof4
07-30-2012, 04:08 PM
I get them now and then when I have a lot of fruit out after grocery shopping, but my daycare children are nuts for fruit and it's all gone by Friday and the few fruit flies that have been visiting go away for the weekend. I take my garbage out daily. I made a homemade fruit fly catcher once before too and it did work great. Now and then they just seem to overpopulate right there in your kitchen.

kidlove
07-31-2012, 07:27 AM
I always keep all fruit in fridge, that helps keep fruit fresh longer and keeps those beasts away. I have done the same as the others though, but with plastic wrap over a custard dish with hole in the wrap and sugar water in the dish. They multiply fast!!!! Good luck!