PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos- good or bad?

Biomom
07-30-2012, 11:13 AM
I am about to open a daycare and have had only 2 interviews- both did not choose to go with my daycare.

I'm just wondering if my tattoos would be a drawback- do people still judge others like that? Would you be afraid to leave your kids with me?

I have several tattoos on my arms and one on my chest and am wondering if I should cover them up - easier said than done in the summer!

Any input would be great!

Inspired by Reggio
07-30-2012, 11:18 AM
I am going to be honest here ~ I do not have any tattoos myself to form a personal philosophy on them because I have skin condition that would make tattooing a risk .... however my initial reaction is I would not WANT to work with someone who had an issue over this anyway .... I am who I am and if my 'appearance' is going to be a deal breaker for people well than they do not share my core values or the core values I want to instill in my program .... acceptance of diversity ;)

Keep looking for the clients you WANT and do not settle for less by hiding or compromising who you are!

Starshine
07-30-2012, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion after only two interviews. However, yes, there are always going to be people who judge! You likely don't want to deal with those parents! Best of luck to you.

mimi
07-30-2012, 12:06 PM
its depends what the tatoos depict. Beautiful tatoos with positive scenes - no problem, scary and disturbing - no thank you.

Inspired by Reggio
07-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Yes so true Mimi ~ if the images are not of a PG nature than while working with children I would cover them up ... this was the rule in centre care as well .... tattoos and piercings that were 'visible' to clientele had to be 'safe' and 'PG' .... aka no blood, guts, skulls, weapons, violent depictions, swear words, etc. Girls who had those 'chain' piercings had to remove the chain at work and replace with a small 'stud' to prevent catching on anything.

Biomom
07-30-2012, 12:51 PM
They're PG and my kids love 'em! :D

Judy Trickett
07-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Oh, please, if someone is not choosing your care simply due to your having a tattoo or two or three then they really aren't worth the time you spend thinking about them. Seriously, people need to stop judging by appearances.

Daycare123
07-30-2012, 01:25 PM
I have tattoos. I think they are beautiful and so do the families I work with. Take 'em or leave 'em they're part of me!

fruitloop
07-30-2012, 02:00 PM
I have tattoos too...5 to be exact...and I'm getting 1 of them redone to cover half my back. I've never had any issues with my tattoos being a deal breaker and if people didn't choose my daycare because of them...they can kiss my arse and I wouldn't of wanted them in my daycare anyway.

Momof4
07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
I don't have any tattoos either but I see nothing wrong with them at all. Two of my daughters have several of them and one of my clients, both Mom & Dad are inked up all over. My sister just got her first tattoos in her 50's! It's never too late.

I agree that it is just terrible for people to judge based on appearances rather than seeing everything you have to offer in your daycare. My problem with cosmetics is the outside of my home which is a rental apartment at the back of a big house and no yard. I know now as soon as the 'snobs' arrive because I can see it on their faces when they step out of their car. Don't waste your time if you spot it too hmk. I'm sure you are beautiful! However, I always dress professionally for an interview, no matter what the season. If you do decide to cover up, just dress nicely and don't worry about anything else. Chin up!

monkeymama
07-30-2012, 06:59 PM
I have two visible tattoos. I have never had a DCP even make a comment about them. If someone didnt choose me simply for that reason, they are far too superficial and I dont really want to do business with them anyway. Dont second guess yourself or anything about yourself! Own your tattoos and be proud of them :)

sunnydays
07-30-2012, 07:20 PM
I think as long as you are dressed professionally (ie. no low cut blouses or high cut shorts etc) and the tattoos are not obscene, it should not matter. If you cover them for interviews, then I believe you should have them covered at all times for daycare or else the parents may have a shock when they see them! You only want clients who accept you for who you are. I say this as someone who does not have tatoos and would not really want my kids to have them...but I respect the choices of others to have them and would not condone judgement based on anything like this.

treeholm
07-30-2012, 07:44 PM
My problem with tattoos is not the tattoo itself, but what it stands for. It's a way of having your passions and interests "go ahead of you." If the first thing I see about you is a tattoo expressing your passion for something I find distasteful, I would have a hard time leaving my child with you. I'm not otherwise judgemental, but I prefer to get to know someone a bit before discovering that they support a weird cult that I cannot support. For example, if you had a scientology emblem (if such a thing exists) I would be more hesitant. If you had snakes and devils all over your arms, that would put me off as well. Most of the tattoos I've seen in recent years have been quite lovely, and wouldn't even be an issue.

Spixie33
07-31-2012, 06:26 AM
I think (honestly) that it would give me some pause if a DCP had visible tattoos. I guess a tiny 1.2 inch star on the wrist would be different than something all down the arm though.
However, that said...if I go to the interview and am impressed with the DCP and the setup and her personality then I would probably get past it.

I may be a stick in the mud or think stereo types but just telling you honestly that it would probably factor into my decision -- not necessarily as a NO WAY but it would make me go hmmmmmmm....

However...if you are worried based on only 2 interviews then don't be. I think I had close to 10 interviews before signing my first family. It all depends if you click and if they like what you offer etc. Some people may be worried that you are just starting out and don't want to be your 'first' family. Your interviewing techniques will get more relaxed and comfortable the more you do them and it will eventually land you your families. It is normal not to land the first 2 interviews starting out so don't sweat it :)

sunnydays
07-31-2012, 06:49 AM
I agree with what the others have said about the first interviews not necessarily working out. When I started, I had five interviews before I finally had a kid sign on...after that everything fell into place and I haven't had an interview not work out since then (unless I chose not to sign that family on). It is a learning curve...don't panic!

kidlove
07-31-2012, 07:03 AM
Here is my opinion....:) Didnt even care to read all the others input because I felt so strongly to respond. YOU be who YOU are. NO MATTER WHAT!!!! You should never concider hiding who you are for the benefit of others. Not to mention...if someone IS going to have a problem with your tats and you have them covered on first visit, they chose you, come to drop off and see them...do you really want THEN to be the time they address it? They should choose you for who you are, caring loving, honest and affectionate toward their child. Not for what you look like. But most of all....who you are is a woman with tatoos, be true to that!

kidlove
07-31-2012, 07:16 AM
OK Just read everyones response and AGAIN will just suggest for you to be yourself!!!! Dont try and be something you are not. You will attract the right fit for you and be happy in the long run if you are yourself. Not sure if this is a good example but, I go to a baptist church and every week I cant help but notice ALL the women wear skirts and longer sleeved shirts (shirts that cover their shoulder at least) When I first started going there, I couldnt help notice, I dressed dif. (I wear pants, and to add...alot of times just jeans)(in the heat this summer also wear tank tops) I thought at first, "maybe I should get skirts and longer shirts for church?"......very quickly answered myself however. :no: Why would I try and be someone I am not, to fit in the crowd? I dont love God any less than them just because I dont follow some "dress code". And they have NEVER treated me any dif. because I have always been WHO I AM!!!!!:yes:
I have a small tattoo on my lower back (18 yr old mistake :)) Doesnt bother me a ton, but made the choice young and it means NOTHING! but my Day Care kids think its so COOL. when we are playing on the floor sometimes my shirt will come up a little and they will ask about it, ask if they can touch it. Too Funny! If you are good with kids, WHO CARES what marks your body! If people judge you by how you look, they are not worth having in your life.

Toregone
07-31-2012, 10:11 AM
I personally have a a DCP with visable tattoos and odd peircings (like surface peircings on her upper chest neat the collar bone) it didn't bother me at all. It was how she interacted with children that was important to me. I also have 2 tattos that are visable in the summer (ankle and upper back) but they are pretty PG - a monkey and a nautical star. I've had parents comment that they thought they were nice, nothing negative.

Mamma_Mia
07-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Yup both parents of my 3yr old have tattoos. Mom has her whole uppper back but it's covered 90% of the time, only saw it in pictures of their summer vacation. and Dad has on legs & arms sleeves. They are the nicest ppl I know and are pretty "boring" if it wasn't for the ink LOL

Sandbox Sally
07-31-2012, 12:25 PM
I sometimes worry about my visible tattoos when I interview, but I don't cover them. I figure, like everything else, if parents are put off by them, we likely won't mesh on other things as well. Many of my past and current clients have tattoos too... lol

Biomom
07-31-2012, 02:03 PM
I was just over-analyzing and thinking people might see me as more of a risk-taker because of the tattoos- maybe something you don't want in a childcare provider.
Thanks for the input and support everyone! :wub: