PDA

View Full Version : Want to terminate after DCM pulls DCG out for entire month without prior notice

momof4inpink
07-30-2012, 07:46 PM
When I started my dayhome a year ago, I had a mom ask me to take care of her dcg before and afterschool and on pro-d-days, spring break, summer vacation etc.. She attends school with my children, from the beginning I had problems with the dcg behavior, however she has been better over the past 9 months. We had a verbal agreement as far as pay and when care was needed as I had not had a handbook or contract made up as of yet. 2 weeks ago DCM tells me that her daughter will not require care fo the whole entire month of August, as they will be on holidays but she will be back in September. Dcg later tells me that she has a teenage babysitter for some time through August, and that day was her last day with me until September (still 1 week left of July, dcm never told me this as well) I was stunned, mom had not mentioned this at all in the whole 9 months of care and when I had agreed to care for her child. DCM wanted to know if we had any vacation plans and I assured her no we did not. So here I sit without August fees for her, and in a very tuff financial situation. I just couldnt bring myself to say anything to her about my anger and concern for her just taking it upon herself to pull her child out for the entire month, but yet making sure that she would be cared for in September. I am so so angry:mad:, and want to terminate her, as I already felt that I never wanted to take before/afterschool care from the beginning. Also thier schedule is never the same, so I never know when she will be coming, and I have asked many times for her to give me her schedule in advance so I can pre-plan craft projects, but I always get excuses that thier schedules are always changing. However of course the money is always needed. We literally are going to suffer financially with August not being paid!!!!! Of course in my handbook/contract it is all outlined in there black and white for vacation policies, which are none. I dont take any, and for new clients at the moment I dont offer any discounts if they do. All my "new" clients starting in the fall are aware of this, and none have complained or have any concerns. I just dont know what to do. I realize I dont really have a leg to stand on:o, as I never had a contract for her, however I cannot believe that this DCM would be so ignorant to not think for a moment that pulling her dcd out for an entire month would not effect my financial situation.

Nottellin'
07-30-2012, 08:13 PM
I would tell her that payment is still needed for August to save her spot for September. If she doesn't want to pay it terminate. Start looking for a replacement family now. If she does want to stay make her sign a contract. As you have just learned that is why it is so important to have a contract.

playfelt
07-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Let the mom know that if she in effect quits daycare now that if/when she returns to care she will be required to sign the contract and pay the current rate of fees in effect at that time. Also that unless she pays a non-refundable deposit for September that the space will not be held. Then advertise like crazy. If child was only B/A then even having an empty space for a month or two will pay off in the long run.

This is the time of year that scares me for school age as well as those whose parent has debated over preschool - it usually means they are on the wait list for a program and giving me notice is just a matter of time.

sunnydays
07-31-2012, 05:15 AM
I would also tell her that she has to pay full fees for August to hold her spot for September and have her sign a contract. If she is not willing to do that, tell her you cannot hold the spot, so she will have to take her chances if you have a spot for her child in September or not. Then advertise and try to fill it. If you can't fill it by September, you can decide whether or not to take her back. Personally, I wouldn't take her back...but I do understand it can be tough financially.

kidlove
07-31-2012, 06:04 AM
Just because the contract was not available whe nshe started doesnt mean you have to stick to original plans for the duration of care for that child. Clearly the Mother didnt stick to her plans for original care or she wouldnt be moving drop off and pik up times all around and would have never puules her daughter out for a month. Heres the way I look at a situation like that when it happens to me, "it happened for a reason". the child was difficult to care for, the schedule is NEVER the same and the Mother is obviously trying to take a little advantage of your willingness to bend. If I were you I would start searching for another family, a good one! Someone who will treat you with respect (give you schedules and pay you when its due) As far as this family goes, I would do as the others suggested, just because you dont have a contract with this Mother doesnt mean she can take advantage of you, you do need to inform her although she can change her daughter attendance with you as she pleases (as far as taking time off) she does still need to pay to hold a spot. (I give one week a year free-thats your choice) But tell her she cant take her daughter out for a whole month and not pay a penny. If that is what she chooses, inform her there will not be a spot available when she returns. Cut your losses and move on. Although things will be tight if they go, sounds like they are a pain to have around. I highly doubt you will all starve to death with out that income, just do your best to make ends meet, and consider the outcome!!!!!! PEACE. :D

Judy Trickett
07-31-2012, 06:25 AM
She NEEDS to pay for August. Daycare is about paying for a SPOT. If she doesn't pay for the spot it is GONE.

You need to advertise and fill the spot and do NOT allow her back into care in September. If you let her back into care then it's your own fault when the next time she screws you over comes (and it WILL come).

Inspired by Reggio
07-31-2012, 07:39 AM
I personally would not work without a contract ~ it helps protect both the client and yourself from things like this kind of conflict ... I agree with the others that just because you did not have one when you started with this client does not mean you cannot implement one NOW specially since it sounds like she obviously needs some education and guidelines about the 'rules/expectations of clients' in your business!

Explain to her that THIS is how things work ~ you are committing to the SPACE and if you want it to be secured for you ~ you pay for it. If she pulls for August she PAYS for the space otherwise you are free to FILL IT with someone and therefore a space will likely not be there for September!

I have had teacher clients in the past who wanted to pull in June and expected the space to just be there for them in September again ~ even some were so 'confident' people wanted to serve them that when they were told if they pulled the spaces would be actively filled by others and therefore they were taking a risk that spac likely WOULDN'T be there come September ... and sure enough they would 'take their chances' and than they would than be shocked to come the end of August to make arrangements to 'return' and have no care cause the program filled up over the summer with others willing to put their $$$ where the spot was and invest in the security of the spot being there for them when they needed .... you snooze you LOOSE!

If you do not WANT to serve her anymore than use this as a reason to terminate her ~ draw up a letter saying that 'since she has changed the verbal agreement and is pulling her child from care for the month of August that she is therefore 'terminating' the current verbal agreement and as a result her spot within the program is null and void effective X date' and do not offer the opportunity to pay for August and just find a new client who is a better match for the program.

momof4inpink
07-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Thank you all for your feedback, I appreciate all the wisdom everyone has. I myself have only been doing this dayhome for a year now, and boy this site sure has helped me when I have had issues. I have learned so much from all you wonderful ladies :) I know I need to take a defenite stand with this DCM and send her an email notifying her of my actions to terminate. I just shake my head as to how she could even not realize what she has done, and not realizing that pulling her DCG out for an entire month is ok? I am waiting for the month to officially be over, and wait to see if she will even come by or send an email to pay for at least a holding fee in good faith. I am possitive that she will not.

Inspired by Reggio
07-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Ya ~ it is the sad thing about our field .... A) all they are seeing is the 'savings' on their end they are not seeing that our income is regulated out the wazoo and therefore a child pulling out for a month means a dip in our direct income and most people do not grasp the concept of 'paying for the spot being occupied' combined with B) the age ole stereotype that many still hold that we are all just staying home anyway so that anything we earn is just 'bingo money' so to speak ~ sad how many women forget that we while YES we are choosing to stay home we are not choosing to stay out of the the WORKFORCE we chose to open a home based business instead ... we are still replacing the income we would be earning if we worked 'outside of the house' verses being at home ... this is not 'bingo money' for us anymore than their second income is 'bingo money' to them we do this because we are contributing to a dual income home to afford our families the lifestyle they are accustom to ~ just like their income is to their family ... why are WE any less deserving of putting policies in place to protect our income just as they would with their income ~ if their boss suddenly said to them ~ hey we want you to come into work everyday in August for 10 hours a day but we are only going to pay you 3/5 or 4/5 of your wage cause things are 'slow' this month but we are going to keep you on just in case things pick back up again in September and than we can pay you full wage again ~ do you think that would FLY with any other worker? Hell look at all the unions striking over a wage FREEZE let alone if they were expecting to pay them LESS for the same amount of work ;)

kidlove
07-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Dont let her hold the spot!!!!! Cut your losses, she will continue to use you! I can 99.9% gaurentee!:no:

momof4inpink
07-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Ya ~ it is the sad thing about our field .... A) all they are seeing is the 'savings' on their end they are not seeing that our income is regulated out the wazoo and therefore a child pulling out for a month means a dip in our direct income and most people do not grasp the concept of 'paying for the spot being occupied' combined with B) the age ole stereotype that many still hold that we are all just staying home anyway so that anything we earn is just 'bingo money' so to speak ~ sad how many women forget that we while YES we are choosing to stay home we are not choosing to stay out of the the WORKFORCE we chose to open a home based business instead ... we are still replacing the income we would be earning if we worked 'outside of the house' verses being at home ... this is not 'bingo money' for us anymore than their second income is 'bingo money' to them we do this because we are contributing to a dual income home to afford our families the lifestyle they are accustom to ~ just like their income is to their family ... why are WE any less deserving of putting policies in place to protect our income just as they would with their income ~ if their boss suddenly said to them ~ hey we want you to come into work everyday in August for 10 hours a day but we are only going to pay you 3/5 or 4/5 of your wage cause things are 'slow' this month but we are going to keep you on just in case things pick back up again in September and than we can pay you full wage again ~ do you think that would FLY with any other worker? Hell look at all the unions striking over a wage FREEZE let alone if they were expecting to pay them LESS for the same amount of work ;)

Absoulutley love love that statement!!! I am just in the process of writing a termination letter, and also included the point of her boss telling her hey, we dont need you for August, no pay, but ya come back for September. So true about everything you said!!!!! what blows me away is that, her being a mom and being in the same frigin neighborhood as me, should know the cost of living etc... Oh and I was going to send her the email tomorrow to give her ample notice to find care, but I changed my mind and will give her 2 weeks notice as she did with me. I realize 2 wrongs dont make a right, however she isn't the one that has to phone the bank and make arrangements to pospone a truck payment!:mad: