PDA

View Full Version : First Interview

colleend
07-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Hello!
I am just starting a part-time day home and have my first interview with the parents tomorrow night. I am just hoping for tips so I don't forget something important!
I am planning on going through my "handbook", a daily schedule, giving a tour, asking some things about the child (but not in great detail such as food preferences) and time for them to ask me questions.

Any tips??

Dreamalittledream
07-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Don't forget to
- play with the child;)
-allow for some silence too...a great time to observe (child's behaviours, parenting style).
-have a notebook/pen handy
-ask what goals they have for their child in a daycare program
-get some sleep, relax and simply be your fantastic self;)

sunnydays
07-31-2012, 05:10 AM
Make sure you let them know that you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. I always tell parents that I am looking for the best fit for my daycare, so I have a few interviews lined up for the spot and I will let them know once all the interviews are done. It lets them know you are not desparate and also that you care enough about your group to be careful who you choose to join it. Good luck!

kidlove
07-31-2012, 06:33 AM
perfect advice from the girls, ALWAYS let them know NO MATTER WHAT, you will give them a call or email and let them know within x amount of days. NEVER agree on day of visit. Just gives you time to think things through and replay the visit in your head, not to mention...gives you a way out if the kids are terrble or the parent seems not a good fit for you.
I always like to go over my contracts before hand so I can remember the key points I would like to address, such as payment amount and when payment is due. 24 hour notice for days off and such. I make mistakes just about every time I interview as far as remembering to talk about certain things. I have had pushy parents that begin talking about when the child starts and before you know it you have a kid in care you dont feel you agreed to but got STUCK in a spot because you werent clear enough with the parent in the beginning.
MOST IMPORTANTLY though: make sure the family is a good fit for you, if not... say thankyou and move on. Good Luck

colleend
07-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks everyone! The child is not coming to this one as we will see how it goes first :)

Sandbox Sally
07-31-2012, 09:58 AM
I don't play during the interview. I have a sheet of questions like, what are you looking for from me? What are your discipline philosophies? Have you been in daycare before, and if so why are you leaving? I go through our daily routine, how I deal with potty, how I deal with conflict, show them around the house, and go through the highlights of the "rules" in my contract and touch on why they're in place.

I then field questions, as most parents have an arsenal. ;) As they are leaving, I thank them, tell them that I will send my contract for them to look over via email, and that we'll talk soon.

Good luck!! Have fun, be yourself, and don't agree to anything verbally before contract signing.

Mamma_Mia
07-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks everyone! The child is not coming to this one as we will see how it goes first :)

I insist that the mom, baby and dad (if he's in the picture) to come to the first meeting. I don't want to like the family and then meet the baby on visit 2 and he/she's a terror! and I like to have time to see how the parents act with the child there and towards the child. All signs to look at.

Sandbox Sally
07-31-2012, 12:25 PM
I insist that the mom, baby and dad (if he's in the picture) to come to the first meeting. I don't want to like the family and then meet the baby on visit 2 and he/she's a terror! and I like to have time to see how the parents act with the child there and towards the child. All signs to look at.

I agree. I always insist that the child come to the meeting. I only have the ONE meeting.

michellesmunchkins
07-31-2012, 12:56 PM
I agree. I always insist that the child come to the meeting. I only have the ONE meeting.

This is me too, interviews take up too much time to be doing multiple ones for the same family!

kidlove
07-31-2012, 03:12 PM
i agree with mamma-mia: you HAVE to meet the child, what if you like the parents and the kid is a terror. I'd rather meet at the same time that way it s not so heart breaking for you, :)

Momof4
07-31-2012, 03:29 PM
I ask that the child comes to the interview as well. I'm not playing with the child though, but talking to them once in a while when the opportunity arises. I'm professional and businesslike during an interview with the parents so that they know we are striking a legal contract and that I am in control of the rules in my daycare and serious about my contracts.

However, I tell them all the fun things I do with the children and that I save my nurturing side for daycare hours. Relax and be yourself because stress and anxiety really show up during the interview. But you have to work and deal with these parents, so I watch them nonstop during the interview to see how they react to their child and I want families who match my parenting philosophies. Also remember our saying, we are interviewing the family as well as the family is interviewing us, it's 50/50.

Dreamalittledream
08-01-2012, 06:32 AM
Just following up; how did it go?

colleend
08-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Ok, good to know for next time I guess!

colleend
08-02-2012, 02:53 PM
I think it went pretty well. They want to interview one more day home that is closer to their home, but she did say that the 3 interviews before mine "would not work" but that they found ours to be a positive experience. I wanted to think about it as well anyways so we are going to chat next week. Do you think I should ask to meet the child sooner rather than later or wait until she has met with her other interview?