PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding after a breast reduction

Julie
03-29-2011, 09:34 AM
HI everyone im preparing for my next child who isn't even conceived yet LOL.
But i had a breast reduction in April 2009. and i produced some milk with my son who i had in sept 2010 but didn't make enough and only one worked better than the other. I pumped and breast fed but i just didn't make enough for him so after three weeks of trying i stopped. My question is does anybody know if it will be better for my second because more time has passed i really wanted to breast feed. Hope somebody knows.

Thanks

mamaof4
03-29-2011, 11:27 AM
once the milk making tissue is gone- its gone, but don't lose hope.. a lot of times you make more milk the 2nd time around.

did you try fenugreek? Oatmeal? Check out kellymom.com

Crayola kiddies
03-02-2012, 07:56 AM
There is a supplement you can take to enhance milk production I just don't remember what it's called .... I too had a reduction after my first child and I went on to breast feed my next four children ..... From what I understand it depends on how drastic your reduction was .... The bigger the reduction the more milk ducts they would have removed.... Mine was severe ... So I had to supplement with formula.... I was told you will produce more milk if you actually feed the baby rather then pump but if you are pumping it is better to pump both at the same time rather then one at a time. I have two friends that also had them but not as drastic as mine and they both feed their babies totally for about 6 months .... Give it a shot and do the best you can .... Oh ya my doctor perscribed my something to enhance milk production as the baby was born and drink guiness beer it helps you to lactate.... Good luck

Sandbox Sally
03-02-2012, 11:37 AM
mamaof4 knows her stuff. :)

IMO, your lack of supply could have been caused by other factors other than your reduction. Docs are normally very careful when doing breast augmentation these days to not damage the necessary "equipment" for milk production. I suggest getting a really good LC and maybe attending LaLeche League meetings. Those people also know their stuff.

Remember too that sometimes pumping isn't as indicative of your supply as you might think. No breast pump in the world is as tailored for milk expression as a baby's mouth.