PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio

BlueRose
07-31-2012, 08:31 PM
I am putting together a portfolio to show parents at interviews. I am going to put the following in it:

References
Police Check
CPR/first Aid Certificate
Copy of my schedule

Is there anything else I should add?

BlueRose
07-31-2012, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=LittleFeet;214 82 Also, if you have sample art work that the children have done I find some parents like to see that too :)[/QUOTE]
I was thinking about this. I think that If I have any art work that can't go in the book, I could photograph it. I was also thinking about adding photos of the park and back court yard that I will be taking the kids. this way the parents could see where their kids will be going.

kidlove
08-01-2012, 07:16 AM
another thing that would be cute is pictures of the kids in dif. activities as well, to show how happy the kids are and the dif things you do. (that is if you are allowed to show pics of the kids) not sure how your rules go. may need a waiver? just would be cute to share with potential parents

Mamma_Mia
08-01-2012, 03:39 PM
a "how to get your child ready for daycare" checklist?

Toregone
08-01-2012, 04:28 PM
I am putting together a portfolio to show parents at interviews. I am going to put the following in it:

References
Police Check
CPR/first Aid Certificate
Copy of my schedule

Is there anything else I should add?

Just one thing to note about police checks - they expire amazingly fast. You get your police check and potentionally can be arrested that same day - it won't show on the check you already have in hand. For this reason I provide police checks upon request of parent only. I make sure to tell the parent I will get it for them ASAP if they wish to see it. I would rather show a parent something fully up to date.

BlueRose
08-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Just one thing to note about police checks - they expire amazingly fast. You get your police check and potentionally can be arrested that same day - it won't show on the check you already have in hand. For this reason I provide police checks upon request of parent only. I make sure to tell the parent I will get it for them ASAP if they wish to see it. I would rather show a parent something fully up to date.

The Ottawa Police website stats that you have two ways to get the police check a $15 one will take between 6 and 8 weeks to get, and a $51 one that you get in five min. When I went to get mine I planed to get the $15 one since I am not opening until Oct. They didn't even ask me what I wanted. I gave them my ID, they said just a min, then told me it was $51. I can not afford to update it more then once a year. If a parent wants me to get a new one before the year is up, they can pay for it.

Toregone
08-01-2012, 07:10 PM
The Ottawa Police website stats that you have two ways to get the police check a $15 one will take between 6 and 8 weeks to get, and a $51 one that you get in five min. When I went to get mine I planed to get the $15 one since I am not opening until Oct. They didn't even ask me what I wanted. I gave them my ID, they said just a min, then told me it was $51. I can not afford to update it more then once a year. If a parent wants me to get a new one before the year is up, they can pay for it.

Oh weird! Here in Edmonton it's about a week wait or so and it's roughly about 25 - 30 I believe. I have actually never had a parent ask even though I offer for every interview I do.

playfelt
08-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Parents need to realize that the police check is really a cash grab by the city and nothing more Sure we could get arrested the day after it is done but what is the likelyhood that families would leave their children in our care if that happened. So if you can give parent references going back a couple years at least with no gaps that is a better reassurance for the parents than a police check which really serves no positive purpose since it is considered useless the day after it is issued.

BlueRose
08-02-2012, 08:15 AM
The Police Check is Good for 6 Months. I paid the $51 even though I don't open until the fall because I am currently doing interviews and parents want to see it.

ONLY 6 Months. i guess that would make sense since this can change fast. I still will only get one once a year for myself. But only if lots ask for it. My husband will only get one now, if there is a high demand for him to have it updated then we will update his yearly too. Police Checks only prove that you have never been caught doing anything and nothing more. But they do give some parents "piece of mind".

treeholm
08-02-2012, 08:24 AM
I thought they were about $6!!! Yikes. I'm sure my daughter said hers was $6....

Inspired by Reggio
08-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Ya ~ both mine and my spouses police and vulnerable screening results are 'outdated' now for sure ~ cause the most recent ones were done in 2009 ~ however I still have it in there for them to 'see' .... no one has ever asked for a 'fresh one' ... I think having had one done at the start of your business and to be being 'willing' to have another one done generally is all clients want to know.

Mine were free cause they were done by CSA as part of placing a child under their guardianship in my program ... I think how much it costs depends on the 'nature' of why you want it ... if it is for a paid position somewhere they charge more verses if you are volunteering for a non profit agency then they often 'waive' the payment or offer a discounted rate for it depending on the agency.

elipamu
10-17-2012, 03:49 PM
It would be good to have some work references, resume , copy of your monthly menu, some workshop certificates...thank s you letters or cards...Hope this help!

Momof4
10-17-2012, 06:36 PM
During an interview I always give the parents my resume which includes references from current and past daycare families. I have my contract in a portfolio that I go over with them in point form then email the entire thing to them after the meeting if I feel they would be a good match for me. I have letters of recommendations and thank you cards at the back of the book just in case they want to peek at them. But my CPR-first aid card is prominently displayed at all times on my front entrance bulletin board and I have never gotten a police check. I only had one person ask about a police check in 5 years.

BrightEyes
10-19-2012, 12:56 PM
I received so many thank you cards over the years and I have no idea where they are. :( I never thought to use them in my portfolio so they were set aside and misplaced when we moved. I am so disappointed, they would have been a great addition.