PDA

View Full Version : Seperate playroom for dh kids

mlc1982
07-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Does everyone have a seperate room for dh toys/supplies/playing/etc? Or do you just utilize your whole house and have certain toys that come out at certain times?

Dreamalittledream
08-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Separate room for me (our entire basement). It's nice to close the door on the room for the day & it's nice and tidy for the next. Also, mentally when I close the door I am done for the day. But, do whatever your space allows.

kidlove
08-01-2012, 06:51 AM
DONT have any other space for the kids!!!! It is NOT easy this way. We do have a huge out door area that saves us from insanity. :) but I would give my right arm for a separate area, no a separate house!!!!! It is such a juggle to have the children in your personal space every hour of every day, they even have to nap in our bedrooms. My children feel invaded, my husband as well. I do have the house set up so, ALL the big toys are kept in the basement they rotate for the kids use. and our living room is big, so the couch is on angle in the corner, all the buckets of toys are behind it, its like a little hide out back there, the kids enjoy it. we also have a couple baskets of books in living room. other than that though, we do everything in our personal home, has been VERY wearing especially on my husband, makes me feel guilty. Eyes are peeled for a CHEAP house, I would move in a heartbeat, days in daycare house, nights at my house!!! dream, dream, dream!~! :)

fruitloop
08-01-2012, 07:25 AM
I have a dedicated d/c space and we use my kitchen for eating and crafts. I wouldn't have it any other way. I like being able to ignore that space come 5 pm and weekends.

Sandbox Sally
08-01-2012, 07:57 AM
My entire living/dining area is used for daycare. My kitchen table is in the breakfast area, and we have a family room that is for our family (tv, couches etc). The daycare kids have the run of my whole main floor, though. We, of course, eat at my table. We also nap in our family bedrooms, but I take the pack n plays down every night. It takes 5 min.

The daycare space on the main floor is great, and my kids play in there too.

BlueRose
08-01-2012, 08:01 AM
right now my living/dinning area is my daycare and living area. My husband and I are saving up so we can rent a house. When we do my husband wants our living/tv area in the basement. I told him that would be fine as long as the living/dinning area upstairs was my dc and ONLY my dc. I can't wait to be able to move.

michellesmunchkins
08-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I use my entire main floor as well. Kitchen and dining room for crafts and meals. Living area is the playroom and the younger ones nap in playpens in our bedrooms. Older ones no longer in playpens rest on the loveseats in the playroom.

Our family uses the basement as 'our' space. No daycare kiddos allowed down there. My son has a separate playroom down there too where he keeps any toys he does not want to share with the daycare.

I love the main floor lighting for the daycare, and I like to have a separate space downstairs so that we can get away from the toys/diapers/ etc that have invaded the main floor :)

mimi
08-01-2012, 09:42 AM
My basement is our main dc area with nap room and washroom. We do our crafts and meals upstairs and have a decent sized backyard for their outdoor play. I think is it important to be able to close the door on your job at the end of the day, especially for us that work from home.

Momof4
08-01-2012, 05:28 PM
I use my main floor for the daycare but I'm in a huge old house that has been divided into apartments and my bedroom, bath & storage rooms are upstairs. On the main floor the rooms for daycare are the 1/2 bath, kitchen, dining room and living room which is also the toyroom & sleeproom. I've learned to organize so that in the evening and on weekends I take back my space, it's important.

mlc1982
08-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. It's interesting to see what everyone else has. I'm trying to re-organize as I'm tired of looking at toys and living in a kids zone 24/7. I originally had the main playroom in the basement. I then moved it to the main level as I was tired of doing the up and down of the stairs with all the small ones. I really liked it at first but am now sick of my main living space being invaded! We made the basement our somewhat kid free hideaway but am finding we never really use it as a family. I've had this mentality that parents want to see a daycare type setting when coming into my home. I'm slowing realizing that the toys/look of my place is not as important as the type of care given. I want to turn my main living room back into a living room that I can entertain in, with minimal toys that the kids can play with and that I can rotate from the basement toys. Ah, I'm just never happy with my set up! It's tough being home ALL day and staring at the same 4 walls!

kidlove
08-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Thats why I move my furniture ALOT! ha ha by hubby hates it, but I tell him..."it's either move the furniture every couple months or move to a new house every couple months!!!" I need change! Being at home has it's up and def has it's downs. so funny after 5:45 some days I pass all my neighbors on the road, they are finally HOME FROM WORK, and I am finally Leaving Home From Work. LOL :)

Daycare123
08-03-2012, 12:49 PM
I have a 'raised ranch' style house-so lots of windows on each floor even the bottom one! On our bottom floor I have a self-contained daycare-with its own entrance nap room, full bathroom and kitchenette. I love that I go to work and at 5pm I can LEAVE work :)

mlc1982
08-04-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm so jealous of those of you with seperate spaces all together that you can close the door on at the end of the night!!

jec
08-06-2012, 06:19 AM
I used to have my daycare through out my main level -dining room/front hall and TV room and found it too much for me and my hubby. When we moved we bought this house with the daycare in mind and it's now in a space of it's own. The kids eat, sleep and do crafts all in one space. I can then leave my 'office' at the end of the day if I don't feel like cleaning up and my home is just that, my home. I wouldn't have it any other way but...we all don't have a set up to allow us to. My own kids have their own toys and playroom and daycare has it's own toys and playroom. I know quite a few providers that use their home and manage to keep things in order
It's all about what your OK with..and some parents like the idea of a provider using their own home as it gives a more 'homey' feel and then other's like the idea of the kids being in their own space. What ever works for you..will be right :)