PDA

View Full Version : Beginning in Moncton....soooooo many questions!!

MonctonMom
08-01-2012, 11:19 AM
I am thinking about caring for children in my home and then possibly expanding in a few years to open a center. I do not have ECE training however I am in the middle of a Daycare Management course. I have two kids of my own, (4 and 2) and I hate the fact that someone else gets to watch them grow up while I am slaving away in an office!

So, my questions are (and I will probably come up with more along the way so thank you and please bear with me :) )

- is there a particular training, like ECE, that is REQUIRED to open a daycare, or dayhome? I know people would prefer training but is it required?

- if I want to care for kids in my own home, as a business (to be able to claim my expanses) does the dayhome have to be registered? Or can it be unregistered and still be a business? Does that make sense?

- in NB, I believe I would be allowed 6 children in total including my two, ranging in ages from 2 - 6, is that correct? What if I had someone like my mother who would watch my children (unpaid)....would I then be able to take 2 more children?

I am trying to find clear information on what is required as far as the actual building requirements, fire exits, # of bathrooms, etc. but I have had no luck. Is there anywhere that I could find ALL the information I need to be able to do this?

I would be caring for the children out of the basement (for the most part) where we have a family room, toyroom and bathroom. Our backyard is not fenced in but can be.

I've noticed that other people are putting around 10% of their income away for taxes, what amount would I need to put away in NB?

Sheesh....the questions just keep coming!

If anyone is able to assist or point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. I haven't been able to find much for posts on this site regarding New Brunswick so I am hoping someone somewhere knows something! :)

MonctonMom
08-07-2012, 12:26 PM
:( Is there no one that can assist me?

KingstonMom
08-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi MonctonMom, if you were in Ontario, I know many of us can answer your questions, as most of us are from Ont or AB....

Give me a bit to google your questions, see if I can find anything for you

KingstonMom
08-07-2012, 01:44 PM
https://www.pxw1.snb.ca/snb9000/product.aspx?product ID=A001P760003&l=e

http://www.canlii.org/en/nb/laws/regu/nb-reg-83-85/latest/nb-reg-83-85.html

you can browse those two links, and also the gov of canada one: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/dycr/menu-eng.html

It may be the same in NB as ON, but we can operate a private home daycare and not need to be licensed, therefore, there are no actual 'fire codes, or policies'.

Hope some of this helps!
In my first year of doing daycare, I cleaned up pretty good as all of my start up expenses were eligible to be claimed. toys, cots, playpens, boosters etc. A tax advisor should be able to help you with that question as it varies how much you will be making, RSP contributions etc.

We are allowed 5 children NOT including our own. If NB counts the number of kids within your allotment, the I dont see why they would not be able to stay with your mom while you take the max number of paying children. Just make sure that they are never present when you are full with daycare kids, that would put you over, EVEN If you mother stays with them at your house. Know what I mean?

There are NO educational requirements when you are running a PRIVATE daycare out of your home. CPR, first Aid, and ECE are nice to show parents,along with references but certainly not a requirement.

MonctonMom
08-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks Kingston Mom.....glad someone could post something for me :)