PDA

View Full Version : From phone interview to in person interview

cdngirl
08-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Talked to a potential client who I didn't particularly like the sound of on the phone. I scheduled an interview anyway, both because I didn't have a graceful way to tactfully decline (I wasn't on the ball today) and I thought meh, maybe it'll go better in person.

Wondering from your experiences how often you were pleasantly surprised by a parent in person versus how they sounded on the phone? Do you decline interviews based on first impressions on the phone?

apples and bananas
08-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I rarely get phone calls, but when I do I know that feeling of not being on the ball. I normally get emails. I can always take time to think of a response over email.

I'm a true believer of "go with your gut" If it didn't seem right, it probably isn't right!

Now that you've set up the interview make sure to follow through, but also make sure you are prepared for anything and have a nice list of questions with you so you can find out everything you need to know! Any more "bad feelings" then move on!

Dreamalittledream
08-01-2012, 12:59 PM
I've actually had it go the other way around. Parent was warm/friendly/perky on the phone and in our e-mail exchanges...in person she was the total opposite. Not rude or anything but really reserved and barely smiled at all. In fact, I was sure that the interview was a bust...but she has signed on for September & we've had several warm/friendly/perky emails since. Perhaps it was just an off day for her; one never knows. I honestly wouldn't refuse someone based on a feeling about them over the phone; if something about the care they need (drop off/pick up beyond my hours of operation etc) doesn't seem a right fit on the phone then I would refuse for sure.

mimi
08-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Yes, I was tempted a couple of times to decline interviews based on the impression I had over the phone. Turns out they were the nicest people and signed on. If I see a number I don't recognize on my call display I let it go to voice mail figuring it is a daycare call. I like to hear their message to see in advance if I have space and if the child is the age I need and call back when the kids are napping. I always return daycare request calls even if I am full. I figure this helps our industry look professional and leaves a good impression.

apples and bananas
08-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Yes, I was tempted a couple of times to decline interviews based on the impression I had over the phone. Turns out they were the nicest people and signed on. If I see a number I don't recognize on my call display I let it go to voice mail figuring it is a daycare call. I like to hear their message to see in advance if I have space and if the child is the age I need and call back when the kids are napping. I always return daycare request calls even if I am full. I figure this helps our industry look professional and leaves a good impression.

And thank you for doing that mimi. There are too many unprofesional daycares in my area and I'm constantly getting clients who have been burned or heard a story about a bad provider. So frustrating!

kidlove
08-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Have totally had the opposite though, talked to parent on the phone, because they were related to my neighbor I gave them a massive benefit of the doubt and it bit me in the butt. They were not very clean and the baby smelled bad, my dog literally chased the dad off my property! oops, live and learn, note to self: always meet in person but always tell them you will let them know in a few days after meeting, if you will have room. give yourself a way out. some people are just not a right fit for you. :)

Momof4
08-01-2012, 05:22 PM
I know a lot of caregivers like the personal touch of the phone interview, but I'm actually bad on the phone, so I prefer all pre-interview communication to be done by email if possible. I do ask a lot of questions by email before the interview. You never know who is going to show up at your door so pre-screening is definitely necessary, no matter your preferred method of doing it.

Littledragon
08-03-2012, 09:56 AM
i agree with momof4. id rather communicate by email. in my experience, ive noticed that all the moms who prefer to communicate over the phone are the types of moms that want to control the situation and are actually intervewing me. thus far, its just happened this way i guess, i havent had anyone "join" who did a phone interview. all the families i have, we communicated first over email, i asked my important questions over email and met with them in person. its probably just a fluke that its worked out that way . i prefer to meet everyone in person regardless. i dont feel like i can get any kind of impression from anyone unless ive met them in person. im a huge body language person. im a very good judge in character and i cant give an impression of anyone unless ive met with them personally. im not a phone person either lol feels forced when i do it over the phone. i rather an email and then in person. as long as their hours and childs age work, ill meet with them

sunnydays
08-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Unlike some of the others ahve mentioned that they prefer emails, I actually require clients to call me by phone before coming to an interview in person. We can have initial contact over email, but I want to talk to them first and know that they are a real parent looking for care and have a feeling about them through a bit of chit chat over the phone first. If I get a really bad feeling, I probably wouldn't book an interview in person, but I do understand that some people are shy or not good on the phone.