PDA

View Full Version : Lambs and Ivy nap mats

GymMom
08-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Do any of you use these mats for your dayhome? They are super cute, but are they actually functional and do they wash well?
Thanks!

Dreamalittledream
08-02-2012, 03:50 AM
I've never heard of these; googled...sooo cute! http://www.amazon.com/Lambs-Ivy-Nap-Mat-Monkey/dp/B00450M522. Currently my little ones have taken over each of our bedrooms & den in pack n plays or our spare beds as age appropriate. And, as nice as it would be to reclaim our rooms & not be tripping over a pack n play when I want to go to bed; they do get amazing naps when they are all separated. I'm so torn. I've been gradually picking up nap sets such as you have mentioned at yard sales, used stores etc., so at the very least I won't feel too much of a financial crunch if the group sleep setting turns out not to work.

apples and bananas
08-02-2012, 06:28 AM
These are too cute! I wonder if they are functional in a daycare environment? I'm currently sending my significant other to the states to pick up the regalo cots as they seem the most cost efficient and funtional for what I need right now. And unfortunatly, you can't get them in Canada! So, off to the states he goes.

playfelt
08-02-2012, 06:58 AM
My concern with many of those sets is that they are cute but the "mat" part on the bottom is not much more than the foam camping mats and provides very little cushioning. Makes a great blanket on a mat but still think there should be more under the child for a proper sleep.

ECE53
08-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Used a similar mat in my daycare for the entire 9 years. My home is carpeted with underpad and the quilted bottom mat was enough cushioning. I bought a few extra so that they could be washed if messed, and then washed them all weekly. All my children napped in my living room, I felt more comfortable in case of emergency that they were all together.

Inspired by Reggio
08-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Those are adorable ~ as other mentioned you want to take into account the 'age' of the children using them, that unlike the occasion use at 'grandmas' they will be being used daily by children over the course of years, plus the amount of laundering and cleaning that they might require from any 'bodily fluids' that children tend to exude during nap time ~ aka leaking diapers, drool, snot, puke and so forth.

I personally would be opting for function and comfort over 'fashion' you can always 'cute' things up with covers and pillows that are more economical to replace.

You can often get things like this on sale ... so full price they are $32 ~ but you can get them as low as $25 each when on sale ... lots of providers swear by these however IMO challenge being that the 'plastic' over time degrades and breaks and rips so replacement is required.

http://childcare.scholarsch oice.ca/products/2-Deluxe-Rest-Mat-Set-Of-4-24-x-48-x-2-p24477/pstart1/

I was able to get a set of the Angel rest cots 'used' through Kijiji ~ but they retail online for $35.

They are awesome and my mom made me up some 'cute' covers for them and blankets that are easy to wash and so forth ... the stack nicely in the hall closet or slide under my stepsons bed when not in use.

Plus these will last you the life time of your program because they come with like a 20 year warrantee .... and the centre I initially started working at had this brand in 1989 and they are still using the SAME cots ... clean up easy and nicely, light weight to move and comfortable for a child to sleep on ~ never had a child complain about them ;)

http://www.baplaysets.com/shopping/ag_restcots.asp

BlueRose
08-02-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm currently sending my significant other to the states to pick up the regalo cots as they seem the most cost efficient and funtional for what I need right now. And unfortunatly, you can't get them in Canada! So, off to the states he goes.

Amazon . ca is now carrying them for around $40. They ship in Canada

playfelt
08-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Which brings us back to a discussion we had awhile ago about mats vs cots and where to get the best deals.

colleend
08-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks, great info about the cots - I have been wondering about this and didn't want to buy any until I knew what ages I would have (playpen vs cot/mat).

playfelt
08-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Right now I am leaning towards mats from All About Kids here in Ottawa that fold into thirds. This way as compared to the ones that fold into four the elbows and hips will be on the middle section rather than landing in the grooves.

treeholm
08-02-2012, 08:49 PM
The regalo cots are $39.99 at babiesrus.ca
These stores are located in major centres, or you can get free shipping within Canada if you spend $100.

Mamma_Mia
08-02-2012, 10:32 PM
I saw this today in the flyer for "JYSK"....

http://www.jysk.ca/kids-fold-a-bed.html?utm_source= Hostedflyer&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=Wishabi

playfelt
08-03-2012, 07:03 AM

http://www.jysk.ca/kids-fold-a-bed.html?utm_source= Hostedflyer&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=Wishabi

I have seen those at our jysk store here in Orleans. The problem from a daycare standpoint is that the cover is cloth and not waterproof which amazes me. Would be ideal if at least one side was vinyl. There is also an adult version that makes extra seating when closed but a great place for sitting for reading stories - again only cloth though.

jec
08-03-2012, 08:01 AM
I have the mats the Reggio the link to. They are great! I wipe them down after each nap and then get put away and take up next to no space! I also got the sheets that go over them and have enough to put a clean one on each nap.
I really recommend them for the little ones not in a fold and play

apples and bananas
08-03-2012, 08:35 AM

I have these. They are no good for daycares. The cover comes off and is washable, but it's just foam on the inside and no waterproofing so if there are any bodily fluids on it at all it might as well go in the garbage. My kids use them for movie nights. I wouldn't use them for multiple kids.

Mamma_Mia
08-03-2012, 09:42 AM
I have these. They are no good for daycares. The cover comes off and is washable, but it's just foam on the inside and no waterproofing so if there are any bodily fluids on it at all it might as well go in the garbage. My kids use them for movie nights. I wouldn't use them for multiple kids.

Oh ok thanks....I was going to get them but you just saved me a trip :D

dodge__driver11
08-03-2012, 10:44 AM
I have the fold-out chair type things from toys r us, they work well for me, we use them as part of the playroom when they are not being napped on. And they are easy to clean. The covers zip off, and I use my bisel green steam to clean them

Toregone
08-03-2012, 01:05 PM
I have the fold-out chair type things from toys r us, they work well for me, we use them as part of the playroom when they are not being napped on. And they are easy to clean. The covers zip off, and I use my bisel green steam to clean them

I have the same ones and I am not as happy with them to be honest. My son already had one of his own and napped on it frequently so I bought 2 more when opening my daycare and thoght it was the perfect solution. I find the covers SOOO hard to take off, and they are foam inside so I never feel it is "clean". Luckily I only have 2 children on the mats right now and they each have thier own. I clean the covers weekly and like you steam the foam. But as someone else mentioned I don't feel comfortable using these for multiple children. I've been looking around for something cost effective and easy to clean.

dodge__driver11
08-03-2012, 02:26 PM
yeah.... each child has thier own, I wish that the stackable cots weren't so expensive

\

apples and bananas
08-03-2012, 04:42 PM
I was just in canadian tire and saw these safety first sleep mats for 9.99. I opened one up to take a look. I can't imagion what child would fit on one of these. they were tiny and folded up like 5 times! UGH! I wish there was a quick and easy solution to this problem. I'm set on the regalo cots, the hubby's going to the states this weekend anyways and they're only 24.00 there.

playfelt
08-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Those regalo cots remind of the camping cots that tip when you sit on the side of them. Anyone have issues with that happening.

Crayola kiddies
08-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Walmart has almost exactly the same as the lambs and ivy ones and they are 15$ I use them on the couch for older kids and my toddlers are in pack and plays