PDA

View Full Version : Documents

Sugar2105
08-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Hello!
I want to open a private, not licenced dayhome, starting in September. I would like to know if it's better to go with a contract or not? If yes, what should a contract include? Are there any samples to look at? I don't want to make it too long, because I only take 2-3 children and before and after school care.
Thanks for any advice!

kidlove
08-03-2012, 06:36 AM
No matter how many kids you take or if you are licensed or not...you need a contract. make it as simple as you possibly can but it needs to have info for parents on who you are how you run things and what you expect from them and their child.
mine include:
daily sched.
nap policy
payment plan and requirements signed by parent
sched agreement signed by parent
discipline ploicy
sick policy
my mission
drop off and pick up info (including late fees)
24 hr notice for days off reminder
"trial period" notice
what I ask the parent to provide for child (sippy cups diapers clothes etc.)
attendance policy
rates (daily charges/infant charges & minimum dues)
at the back of my packet I also have a few pages of questions about the child such as likes dis likes,(food, movies/shows/music/songs etc) things that make the child happy, things that make the child sad. ask the parent to give me a all around description of the child personality. :)
emergency contacts
medical treatment release
dr info
in very back i have agreement to be signed that states "no calls" 'no shows" and "no pays" are all grounds for immediate termination.

hope this helps you! :)

Sugar2105
08-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Thank you for all the information...it's very helpful!!! :flower:

Inspired by Reggio
08-03-2012, 08:41 AM
I agree ~ a contract is a must as it protects both you and the client by creating clear expectations around 'payment' and expectations for service.

I personally keep my contract specific to 'financial' commitments to each other and than use a 'parent handbook' to share expectations around 'service' but in away it allows to me make improvements / changes to the handbook as required without having to resign 'contracts' every time ~ saves me paper cause I have to print out the contracts to 'sign' which is only 1 piece of paper per client ... but my handbook I provide in an electronic format so it not printed out and therefore can be 'more lengthy' without concern for paper and ink.

Also I started out with a licensed agency and spent over 20 years in that industry so come from a very 'proactive' stance in regards to avoiding conflict by having policies and procedures and communication around things ~ so I likely have stuff both in my contract and in my handbook that the average provider would not due to those life experiences.

My Contract includes

Full legal name and birthdays of children it applies to
Parents legal names and home mailing Address
Who Income tax is to be issued to
Hours of Care being committed to both days and drop off and pick up times
Weekly Fee total ____________
Security Deposit amount followed by policy for non refundable or applied to proper notice period under certain conditions
Payment schedule weekly / biweekly / month in advance of care ... policy on payments re cheques or cash, late payment of fees , NSF charges and what will happen if clients repeatedly have NFS issues, additional charges that may apply if client uses more hours than committed to ~ aka late picking up their child at end of day, need to drop off earlier than contracted and so forth.
Program closure policies around stats, vacation, sick days, etc as well as policy around absences for 'clients' and which one are paid or not and any 'notice' required etc.
Parent handbook for service disclaimer that it was received, reviewed in detail and questions answered, and provider agrees to provide service as outlined within the handbook and client agrees to abide by all program polices and procedures contained within it to ensure provider has resources and support needed to provide proper service.
Termination notice required for ending contract or 'conditions' under which this contract can be terminated without notice by either party and that this contract is in place until another 'more recently dated one' replaces it.
signatures and dates of all parties

My Parent Handbook contains

Mission Statement
Philosophy on Early Learning and Care
Hours of Operation / Standing Program Closure Dates / Provider Vacation & Personal Day policies
Registration and Orientation procedures / What to expect upon enrollment / First day checklist
Fee Payment polices (in greater detail / explanation than contract)
Tax Receipt policies
Withdrawal / Changes to Service / Termination of Contract (in greater detail / explanation than contract)
Custody Arrangements and Separated Parent protocols
Arrival and Departure protocols and expectations
Release to other parties other than parent/guardian procedures
Supervision protocol
Nutrition philosophy and meal time protocols
Physical Activity philosophy and Inclement Weather protocols
Washroom / Diapering / Toilet training protocols
Health & Safety in program (aka immunization protocols, illness and communicable disease protocols, emergency medical care protocols, medication at home or in care protocols, toothbrush program, cleaning of program space and materials in the environment, fire drills and evacuation plan, etc)
Behavior and Guidance protocols ~ code of conduct, grounds for termination in regards to behavior and so forth
Communication protocols for daily communication as well as 'conflict resolution'.
Confidentiality and storing of personal information protocols

Toregone
08-03-2012, 09:29 AM
As others have said you must have a contract! This protects you and protects the client. Even just from an image stand point you look more professional if you have one. Home daycare unfortunatly can have a bit of a bad reputation sometimes due to unprofessional discount providers setting up shop and providing (excuse my language) shitty service for cheap rates. These providers most often work without contract. A contract is what can help seperate your image from that.

Image aside it's just good protection. I am fairly new to this so my contract is probably not up to snuff compared to the above ladies but I am working on revising it. I also keep my contract fairly short and then have other forms for parents. These are "All about my child", "Medical and Emergency Information" "Transportation Consent form" as well as a lengthly policy booklet for them to keep.

Momof4
08-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Well, I'm sitting here with a freshly signed contract in my hands for Sept. and I can tell you my first two pages are the legalities of the parties and my fees & deposit info. Then I have 6 pages of policies that follow and a 2 page medical form and a picture permission form. That's all I require for paperwork. I really believe the parents will remember all the rules if they are worded simply and to the point. I also don't want any loopholes when fancy language gets involved.

Fearlessbaby
02-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Wow, lots of info here- and very thorough- quick question for a couple of you- what's the "trial period" like? and what do you tell parents about toilet training?

Momof4
02-03-2013, 09:10 PM
For the trial period my contract states: 'There will be a one month probation period for newly accepted families and if the contract is terminated by either party within the first month payment is only required for the days for which childcare was provided.'

For toilet training my contract states: Children will be encouraged and supported to complete self-help activities as independently as possible with regard to dressing, undressing, feeding, and toileting appropriate to their age and level of development.

I will be happy to work with the parent/guardian on toilet training the children once the child is showing signs of being ready to learn, but toilet learning is a gradual process and works best when both the parents and home childcare provider are positive and consistent in their approach. Toilet training must be progressing well at home and the child must be at the point where they know when they need to use the toilet before I will have the time to help them to the bathroom at daycare. Once that point has been reached I will make every effort possible to assist daily to encourage the child to stay dry and use the toilet regularly. Containment in the form of rubber pants over underwear or pullups must be used until one full month without accidents has occurred at daycare to prevent extensive, time consuming cleanups during daycare hours.

Hope that helps you Fealessbaby.

mom.to.one
05-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a good contract online?

Crayola kiddies
05-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Google daycare contracts .... You'll find lots

blackcomb
08-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Do any of you do handwritten contracts and scan and save copies to your email for example, or do you only do typed printed copies?

5 Little Monkeys
08-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Mine are typed on my computer and I have sent them all to my own email in case something happens to the computer.

33 Daiseys
08-13-2014, 10:35 PM
I print out two copies, one for me, and one for the family. That way they can never arguee with any of the "rules" I also have a fridge copies of what illness need home time that are printed and glued on card stock, then laminated. I give one to each family so there never are any excusses for bringing in sick children