PDA

View Full Version : Religion in the Daycare

BlueRose
08-10-2012, 12:49 PM
I have had a few parents ask if I bring religion into my daycare. I am thinking about adding a not about religion on my website and in my contract so parents will know where I stand on the subject. I am just not sure how to word it. this is what I have so far:

Religion in the Daycare

My Daycare DOES NOT teach about Religion. I feel that religion is personal and should be taught by the parents. We will still be enjoying the non-religious aspects of : Christmas, such as Santa Clause, Christmas trees, Santa's Reindeer, Giving, etc.
Easter, such as the Easter Bunny, Easter Eggs, etc
Halloween, such as Dressing Up in costumes, Enjoying a small amount of candy, and reading scary stories.
Thanksgiving, such as being Thankful, Turkeys, etc.

We will also enjoying stories, songs, arts and crafts, and other activities for the following:
Valentines Day
Ground Hogs Day
Canada Day
New Years
Mother/Fathers Day

Any thoughts on this?

apples and bananas
08-10-2012, 01:06 PM
I don't know if it's something that you need to put in your policies. I would probably just address the questions as they come. Sometimes we give too much information on our websites and I'm not sure this is a "policy"

I do have some religion in my daycare. We go to church, my children will watch movies that tell bible stories and there is stuff around my house that would be considered religious. I always ask in the interview if there are any special religious needs. That usually tells me where they stand. Then I let them know that their child will be exposed as this is part of my day to day life. But nothing will be pushed or "taught" to them. That's the parents job, not mine... when it comes to religion.

BlueRose
08-10-2012, 01:14 PM
I don't know if it's something that you need to put in your policies. I would probably just address the questions as they come. Sometimes we give too much information on our websites and I'm not sure this is a "policy"

You might be right. I have a bad habit of over thinking and saying too much.

Inspired by Reggio
08-10-2012, 01:18 PM
I agree that "religion" is a personal family thing to be taught - therefore I do not "teach" it in my curriculum however if families are religious or of faith it is going to come up in any program that has verbal children - it is a part of their lives .... I am not on my computer but phone otherwise I would copy and paste to share my statement about my curriculum and how it supports diversity of culture and diversity around different views on the world ... I encourage the children to discuss and share about their celebrations at home be it Xmas or Kwanzaa ... however we do our best to leave the "biblical" reference to a minimum and stick to more of the cultural aspects of these celebrations - food, songs, clothing wore or whatnot.

Littledragon
08-10-2012, 01:20 PM
I know that when it comes up often in interviews, and it's a touchy subject, it's easy to want to put it in your policies so that you don't have to "deal" with it. But I think AandB is right. I've never had this brought up before, is this common, that parents bring up religion? Have you been asked to celebrate/not celebrate something? Weird. I don't know what I would do. I'm catholic, but I don't really push it. I don't have anything in my home that would show that I am catholic, but I do celebrate all the holidays. Hmmm...food for thought.

Inspired by Reggio
08-10-2012, 01:25 PM
BTW - I do think that IF relgion is a part of the actual curriculum that needs to be shared with perspective clients ...some clients would be upset if their child was being taught about a faith they did not share ....we had an issue in centre care because a part of the ritual for meal time was to say thanks for the food and at the end the little poem said "amen" and well a clients kid tried to do it at home for supper and the parent was livid we were teaching the kid to "pray" .... not being religious myself it had not really seemed like a prayer to ME but more of a little song to let the kids know it was time to eat ... just an example of how sharing practices in program can help alleviate conflict ... we just took the amen part out of the song as well as any reference to the lord and created a song that allowed everyone to participate in the ritual without impeding anyone's religious beliefs.

Cocoon
08-10-2012, 02:12 PM
I dont teach or do religious stuff at home. It is their parents job. Right now the kids i look after are small and even if i do they wouldnt understand anyway. And I don't plan to celebrate any religious occasions when they grow up. The kids I have right now comes from different nationality and I do not know whether their parents practices, follow any religion. I only celebrate Mothers, fathers day, birthdays and any non religious events. I believe it is very sensitive subject and I do not want to offend! Anyone.

Momof4
08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Valerie, I do agree with you that religion should be taught at home. I do know a lady who runs a very Christian daycare and she attracts her clients because of that, but we don't talk about it at my daycare either. It's exactly as you described with the fun kiddie version of holidays.

However, I don't think I'd put it in my contract or on my website. But I check with families when they are signing the contract to ask them if they are alright with us celebrating all the holidays and birthdays so that I'm respectful of the parent's wishes.

BlueRose
08-10-2012, 03:46 PM
I am not on my computer but phone otherwise I would copy and paste to share my statement about my curriculum and how it supports diversity of culture and diversity around different views on the world ... I encourage the children to discuss and share about their celebrations at home be it Xmas or Kwanzaa ... however we do our best to leave the "biblical" reference to a minimum and stick to more of the cultural aspects of these celebrations - food, songs, clothing wore or whatnot.

I would love to read your statement on diversity and culture. I think that's what I am really looking for.

BlueRose
08-10-2012, 03:53 PM
My husband and I are not really religious, which is why I want to stay away from religion in my daycare. But we do enjoy the holidays and want your children to enjoy them as well.

I also want to teach my children about accepting others for who they are and not by the colour of there skin, their beliefs or where they come from.

jec
08-10-2012, 05:25 PM
I have a bad habit of over thinking and saying too much.

Me too so I know where your coming from :o
I agree with the ladies and wouldn`t put it on your site or contract

Inspired by Reggio
08-11-2012, 07:36 AM
I would love to read your statement on diversity and culture. I think that's what I am really looking for.

Ok ~ Internet has decided to work this morning so here is my program philosophy statement ... it shares a very subtle mention of diversity as a value in the program to plant that seed for clients

Philosophy

As an educator I strive to create a program that comes alive daily with the joy and magic of new discoveries and possibilities; a small community where people can make meaningful and positive connections that last a lifetime; where we are surrounded by beautiful materials and resources that push us to new places; where we are given the time we need to explore, discover and create personal masterpieces that enrich our souls; where all our works and opinions are seen as valuable and recognized by others as worthy of admiration. Were diversity is not only supported but cultivated in each other; where we can reach a point where we not only respect one another but celebrate of our differences that make each of us unique. .......

In my nutrition section of my handbook I also have the following

Birthdays and other Special Occasions

Your child’s birthday is a very joyous occasion and deserves celebration! Children are always excited to share the celebration with their daycare friends – upcoming birthdays will be recorded on each family’s monthly ‘Events calendar’. Prior to the special day the birthday child will be able to select the nature of their birthday celebration from their special lunch and afternoon snack to any special activities they would like the day to entail (within given financial parameters of course :)). We will make and prepare the afternoon snack for celebration day. Parents are encouraged to come in and join in the fun if able.

In addition at other times of the year children may be interested in sharing celebrations with their peers that are a part of their community and family life such as Christmas, Easter, Valentines, Kwanza, Ramadan, Hanukkah, Chinese New Year, etc.

Families are encouraged to share their upcoming celebrations with me the month prior so they can be added to the monthly calendar. We will do our best to keep the programs celebrations with a focus on the food, music and costumes that might be a part of any of these celebrations and encourage families to share any favorite recipes, songs, etc to enhance children's learning about others within their community.

We will do our best to keep any faith based components of a celebration to basic information as religion is something best explored at home with family where parents are best able to deal with children's natural curiosity about our similarities and differences in a way that shows respect for others faith while supporting their own family faith and beliefs.

But as others mentioned this is not something you necessarily need in 'writing' and can be shared verbally during interviewing process ~ I just prefer it in writing to cover my ass because well so much is shared during the interview and contract signing that it is easier to 'forget' when it is only shared verbally as well as for them to interpret things differently based on 'memory' .... for me having it in writing allows them to a) absorb the info through more than one medium and b) avoids conflict cause it serves as a 'reminder' should a complaint arise later around this issue that yes indeed I DID share that diversity was a value in the program and cultural celebrations that may or may not bridge a faith based component were a part of the program so your child coming home with a question about Hanukkah or what not should not be a surprise as you were made aware of it prior to signing on ;)

sunnydays
08-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Reggio, I love your descriptions of your program! You definitely have a way with words :) I want to go to your daycare ;)