PDA

View Full Version : Crock pot virgin!!!!

Wonderwiper
08-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Hi!
Soooo, I have never used a crock pot but think maybe I should purchase one after hearing you all talk about using them. What do you make in them, do you just have 'stew' everyday???? I would love it if anyone can share their kid friendly ideas. Thanks!!!

Momof4
08-13-2012, 06:36 PM
I am a 'dumper' when I cook and don't use recipes so I'll tell you what I do and you can google lots of recipes.

I add about an inch of carrots to the bottom of my crockpot, then about an inch of rice or noodles, then about an inch of potatoes, chop an onion and a pepper or leeks, zuchini, whatever veg you like and add those, add salt and pepper and garlic and any other herbs that you like, thyme, basil, etc. Stir it all up and add broth or water to just barely cover it all. Put a roast of beef or pork or some chicken pieces on the top and put it on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours with a tight lid. Sooooooo delicious and easy.

Toregone
08-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Today I made crock pot sweet and sour ribs - for my own familys supper not the DCK's. Make the sauce, pour over the ribs and and let cook for 8 hours or so.

I do stews, spaghetti sauces, chili, chicken and potatoes in italian dressing w/carrots (YUMMY BTW). You can crock pot pretty much anything and everything.

Dreamalittledream
08-13-2012, 07:14 PM
My DCK's kids fav is ham/broccoli/scalloped potato casserole;)

jec
08-13-2012, 08:09 PM
OMG I LIVE in my crock pot!! Last week I made crock pot hot cereal from Weelicous for the daycare kids and us. My husband grabbed a bowl all nice and warm for him when he left for work...then we all ate before the daycare kids came ...and then for first snack the daycare kids had it as they were all getting sick!
AMAZING site for really great recipes for the daycare and your own family. I make a recipe almost every day from there!
Today I made a roast- cut up the potatoes, carrots, onion, celery and put in a roast that wasn't even $8 and it came out so tender it fell apart. (I'm a vegetarian but...the smell reminds me of growing up and love that but won't eat it :laugh:)
Weelicous...check them out for great crock pot recipes ladies

Happy crock pot cooking, you'll get addicted!

Wonderwiper
08-16-2012, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the great ideas everyone....looks like I might have to go shopping!

DORITOSGIRL
08-21-2012, 05:20 AM
When my favorite sister in law gave me a crockpot for Christmas in 2009 I thought she had lost her mind.. With in a month I wondered how I had lived without one!
My family favorite is PULLED PORK.

2 POUNDS OF BONELESS PORK LOIN
1 LARGE RED PEPPER DICED
1 RED ONION DICED
BOTTLE OF YOUR FAVORITE HICKORY SMOKED BBQ SAUCE ( We love presidents choice hickory)

Cook pork on low for approx 6 hours, drain all fat and shred pork using 2 forks ( do this in a plastic bowl or the inside of your crockpot might be ruined and be warned its arm work out)

Return shredded pork to crockpot and peppers and onions and mix well with sauce cook one hour on low

Serve Pulled Pork on your favorite buns ( we love onion buns for this) with coleslaw/ceaser salad and dill pickles.

The leftovers are fabulous on a baked potato ( daycare kids here love that) or in a wrap with spinach and tomatoes.