PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here!! Please be kind!! :)

Tan @ Starlight
08-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Hi I am not new to the daycare field, but VERY new to the home daycare field!! :D
Just thought I would start with a few very basic questions!!

1. Do I "NEED" to register a business name?? If it's not NEEDED but just something most do, what are the benefits??

2. Private or Licensed?? What are the pros and cons to both!!

3. Where else other than this website can I advertise? Free or paid?

4. Looking to hopefully get some teachers kids, anyone with any experience working with teachers? Do you charge full/half/nothing in summer, march break and winter break??

I have a son turning one at the end of the month, and I am hoping to take in two more kids as I have a car and no van (yet!!), and I am hoping I can fit three car seats into my Pontiac Vibe!! (Anyone know??!!)

Ok so they weren't ALL basic, but that's it for now, I know I will have more, but have been reading alot of the posts and getting loads of info from them!!
Thanks in advance!!!

Inspired by Reggio
08-14-2012, 06:11 AM
Welcome to the board and congratulations on the new venture!

1. Do I "NEED" to register a business name?? If it's not NEEDED but just something most do, what are the benefits??

Depends on what province you live in ~ in Ontario based on the Business Names Act if you are advertizing your business by anything other than your full legal name than YES.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90b17 _e.htm
Idem

(2) No individual shall carry on business or identify his or her business to the public under a name other than his or her own name unless the name is registered by that individual. R.S.O. 1990, c. B.17, s. 2 (2).

You can register your business name through Service Ontario it costs $60 and lasts for 5 years before you have to 're-register' if you are still using that name ... please note it is a one time shop for also registering for GST number, WSIB, Employer Heath Tax contributions and so forth CHILDCARE INDUSTRY is except from all those requirements so just click NO!
http://www.ontario.ca/en/services_for_busines s/STEL02_039990

The benefit to registering your business name is that Canada Revenue Agency tax laws requirement 'home childcare providers' to provide a receipt to clients that contains our SIN for tracking purposes ~ you can be fined and so forth for NOT doing this .... however when you register your business name you get a BIN business identification number which you can place on your receipts instead thereby protecting your SIN which if it ends up in the wrong hands can result in identity theft.... so for an investment of $1 a month and about 5 minutes of your time you protect your identity as well as a NEWBIE it is often hard to attract clients to take a chance on someone new so having this looks 'professional' to prospective clients to be able to show them you have a Master Business license during the interview and are invested in your new business cause you made the commitment in the registration process ;)

2. Private or Licensed?? What are the pros and cons to both!!

This is a very personal choice. My pros might be your cons. If you do a search on the site for this info ~ there are lots of threads on this ;)

3. Where else other than this website can I advertise? Free or paid?

Again depends on your province as well as your location within said province ~ in addition to online such as here, Kijiji, Craigslists, GoDaycare there are lots of 'smaller' boards but to be honest I have never had any luck with them, community boards at your local church, library, grocery stores, create magnet ads for your vehicle, poster for your wagon or stroller, ask family and friends if they have 'employee boards' at work for fliers, if you have friends in school boards, hospitals, large companies and see if they have 'intranet' boards for employees to post ads.

Also if you have not done so already create a WEBSITE that you can showcase your program with photos and additional info you cannot put in a short online ad .... daycare is like buying a house for many clients ~ they are more likely to want to see the home in person and be 'almost sold on it' when they have been able to see a 'virtual' tour beforehand and fallen in love with some of the highlights of the home!

4. Looking to hopefully get some teachers kids, anyone with any experience working with teachers? Do you charge full/half/nothing in summer, march break and winter break??

I have peers who specialize in 'teacher only' programs aka they run only September ~ June. They basically took the normal revenue they would make being open 'full year' and divided it by the 40 weeks between September ~ June and their clients pay them this weekly fee regardless of PD closures, stats and so forth. In June they leave a 'deposit' for September to save and return to the space the deposit is 'non refundable' if for some reason they do not return to the space.

Tan @ Starlight
08-14-2012, 10:37 AM
@ Inspired by Reggio
Thank you soo very much!! I have seen many of your posts and they have always been very informative!! :D I am in ontario, didn't realize my profile didn't show that! :) I am looking into getting a website, ordering business cards from vista, maybe a magnetic sign for my car! :D Great idea for flyers will work on those this week too!! Registering my name as we speak!! And thank you for the idea of the teacher fees!! :D
P.S. I also Love Reggio Emilia programming!! As well as High Scope and Waldorf!! :D I would love to do more of it at home! :D