PDA

View Full Version : Juggilng Part-timers!

Biomom
08-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Hi!

First, I want to say that I really really appreciate the help I've found on this forum! :thumbsup:

I'm opening my daycare in October and I keep getting people who want only part-time care. In order to make ends meet I'd like to have (ideally) 4 full-time kids or the equivalent in part-time kids. I'm wary, however of having too many part-timers- sounds like a juggling act and my son was in care in the past with a lot of P/T kids and was sick all. the. time. Not sure if the two were related but I figured a lot of germs were circulating from all the different kids!

Has anyone else had all part-time children? What is your limit? Maybe I should start negotiating to get people to go with F/T?

:unsure:

Thanks for your input!

playfelt
08-14-2012, 09:49 AM
I generally devote one space to part time but have had two used this way in the past and yes it is a juggle but also the diversion of different kids each day can be a blessing so it works both ways. The big thing is to insist on the same days each week so one family might come M, T, F and another on W,TH. A schedule that rotates means you have to save the entire week just for that family so it cuts into your income.

It can take Part timers longer to settle into the routine and some never do but then again others do just fine. Depends a lot on what parents are doing with them on the days not with you.

In some areas that is what the demand is and holding out means going with no income. The upside is that for all the hassles the rates for part time are generally higher than for full time so with two sharing you make more money for the space.

Biomom
08-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Woopsies, I'm charging the same for PT and FT!

Inspired by Reggio
08-14-2012, 01:30 PM
My first year I opened I had 9 part time children sharing 4 spaces and only 1 full time child it was NUTS for various reasons most importantly the added EXPENSE of part time care so I would DEFINITELY charge MORE for the service ... not just because while the one shared space might be empty for a while finding another person and you loose income but extra things like Christmas, Mother's day, Father's Day, Valentines, Halloween and so forth having to make that many presents or make sure everyone has a 'craft' from that theme and so forth .... since than I have like others mentioned weaned it down to only having ONE part time space at anyone one time and holding out to find full time clients for the other 4 spaces!

apples and bananas
08-14-2012, 01:40 PM
I find it so difficult to juggle part timers. Unless they have a really set schedule... and even then a shift get's switched, gramma can't take them on XXX day etc. I found it to be a pain, but sometimes you have to do it to make ends meat. The unfortunate part is that you just can't terminate one when a good FT comes around. PT's are also harder to transition and harder to keep to a set schedule as the parents aren't always on the same timeing as you are on their days home.

I have 1 spot for PT and it's really because my comfort level is 3 - 4 so I'm rarely over 4. I have 5 on my schedule, 1 is part time, 1 is before and after school, 3 are full time. But it took me a year and 2 terminations to get to this point.

playfelt
08-14-2012, 01:40 PM
I charge 2 days $90, 3 days $135. 4 days $175 and 5 days $200

You need to explain it to the families with the idea that some things don't change by the number of days such as the change mat or bedding or needing a playpen or highchair, or giving birthday or christmas gifts, or printing a newsletter for parents. The extra covers those things which would be spread out over 5 days for the other people and also compensates in that it secures the parent's place if the other days can't be filled - otherwise why would you keep the child at the cost of 2 regular days if you found someone needing all five days. With the bonus I am willing to look for another part timer.

Momof4
08-14-2012, 02:53 PM
I have had at least one part-timer at a time so far and I charge $2 more per day for anyone who uses less than 5 days a week because usually they can schedule their days around stats. But if for instance I had a family who used Mon/Wed/Fri then they would be paying every time there was a Monday stat. My minimum is 3 days/week so the child feels more comfortable at daycare and transition in quicker. Also, I always ask for the schedule a month in advance and once my calendar is marked all days must be paid if they attend or not for any reason.

Biomom
08-15-2012, 07:23 AM
I like the idea of them paying in advance- I'll use that one!
Also, I will change my fees...

Thanks everyone!

kidlove
08-15-2012, 07:43 AM
i have mostly part timers and have for the past 9 years. it just seems to be the NORM these days because day care is expensive and people try to cut corners as much as possible, plus i take care of alot of kids with parents in the health care field, they all work like 10-12 hr shifts 3-4 days a week. juggling part time is def more difficult than full timers, but not imposible and if you have a good min patment due, you can acctually make more money than having full timers, given you have enough part time kids. I find it fun to fill the sched with all my part timers, it a bit challenge and I like challenge:) I have had as many as 15 enrolled in part time care. crazy but fun.
As far as the germ thing goes...I dont believe their are more germs with more kids IF you have set sick rules and stick to them and you keep your area clean. I do think that kids get more sick in centers because the numbers are so high every day, its dif to keep eye on all kids and make sure toys stay out of mouths and such. just because you have alot of kids enrolled you have to remember you only have so many each day.
Try the part-timers, you might enjoy it. I also find it so nuch nicer to break up the week with all the dif personalitles, even the nicest kids can get on your nerves after 5 days straight. that way you can handle the stink bugs alot better if they are only with you couple days a week. :)

kidlove
08-15-2012, 07:49 AM
re: apples and bananas: you cant terminate a part timer if a full timer comes along.
You could add to your contracts that part time is contingent based on the need for full time. I have in the past used this for people who only want a couple days a week, I informed them I had a spot but temp only based on the filling of the full time I had available, sometimes they bite on it. I have also approached a parent with a offer of raising fees (to near full time charge) or having them lose their spot to a full timer. Just have something in your contracts so you have the freedom to do it!

apples and bananas
08-15-2012, 10:02 AM
re: apples and bananas: you cant terminate a part timer if a full timer comes along.
You could add to your contracts that part time is contingent based on the need for full time. I have in the past used this for people who only want a couple days a week, I informed them I had a spot but temp only based on the filling of the full time I had available, sometimes they bite on it. I have also approached a parent with a offer of raising fees (to near full time charge) or having them lose their spot to a full timer. Just have something in your contracts so you have the freedom to do it!

Smart idea. When my child was part time YMCA care it was based on the part time space being available. If they filled up it was understood that I could either take the full time spot of be removed from the program.

DCP_But_Momma_1st
08-15-2012, 10:40 AM
I charge $5.00 more per day for part-timers. The only way I will take a part-timer really is if they are current clients going down for mat leave or someone I know. The main reason is that newbie babies don't transition too well coming only a few days a week. Who wants to transition for a couple of months with what could be done in a few weeks.

I have 2 part timers atm who have both been here for years so it is perfect. It works out that it is some extra cash too. :)