PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

Skysue
08-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Is it just me or is becomming harder and harder to provide for kids based on parents beliefs and down right giving in to all there kids needs?

Littledragon
08-16-2012, 11:55 AM
here here!

dodge__driver11
08-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Oh I can so relate to that Skysue, so so much.

KingstonMom
08-16-2012, 12:13 PM
My microwave-phobia, 'vegan' parent.

Skysue
08-16-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm not out there but we don't have a microwave either! LOL

Inspired by Reggio
08-16-2012, 12:38 PM
LOL ~ yes there are more and more diverse opinions around what is 'best' for children these days .... this is the awesome thing about being self employed though is that I draw up a philosophy for care and policies and procedures around what I VALUE in regards to child rearing and the goals I have for children and than I attract clients who share those values and goals for their children ~ so I do not do a whole lot of having to 'balance' competing demands from clients cause while we might not do things 100% the same our choices are rooted in the same 'values and goals' for the children and if conflict arises around something one of us are doing we can reflect on 'is this sharing those values and goals' and than agree so as long as we are moving towards the same place we will get there otherwise we find a solution we can agree on that IS moving us in those goals and so forth ;)

I only have ONE family left in care from when I opened who does not fit this 'mold' cause back than I thought I had to just serve 'anyone who showed interest' .... now I am way more picky ;)

Skysue
08-16-2012, 12:44 PM
I only have ONE family left in care from when I opened who does not fit this 'mold' cause back than I thought I had to just serve 'anyone who showed interest' .... now I am way more picky ;)[/QUOTE]

I choose to be picky too but some of us don't have that luxury especially if it means needing to pay bills etc…

kidlove
08-16-2012, 01:00 PM
I hear you there!!! although in a perfect world it would be grand to pick the perfect families for us, the bottom line is 1. sometimes you have to take the "best" you can find. and 2. sometimes when you think you have a good one, you later learn they know how to "blow smoke" really well. :) Either way, sure is nice to at least meet at some kind of middle ground with most parents. Not sure tho, I'll let you know if my opinion changes after my "nitrate free" kids start. Mom is def. packing their food. :)

Inspired by Reggio
08-16-2012, 01:11 PM
I choose to be picky too but some of us don't have that luxury especially if it means needing to pay bills etc…

I hear ya ... for me life is just way to short to not surround myself with people who share my values and build me up and if I am going to do this day in and day out I want to LOVE doing it otherwise it is not helping me to achieve my goal of work life balance and improved health ;)

Honestly the reality is that we could make just as much $$ working 40 hours a week in a retail environment without any responsibility and leave our 'work' behind us everyday ~ this is my HOME and I should feel comfortable in it and love being here ... cause when you work from home and you have clients that you 'dread' each day that is just well trouble brewing cause you have 'no escape' from that from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed you are surrounded by memories of that ;)

kidlove
08-16-2012, 01:23 PM
amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Momof4
08-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Nope! I think I scare them away at the interview. I serve mostly organically grown foods, all home cooked, not much prepackaged food. My house is super clean. I talk about all my childrearing philosophies at the interview which are pretty much based on common sense and I tell them I will always tell the the truth and expect that we will work together to solve the problems. I do tons of crafting and creating and we are active outside and inside every day. If they are nice normal people they sign on. I don't want the really high maintenance ones so I weed them out by letting them know this is MY business and my contract is law, in a nice way of course.

kidlove
08-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Stick it to em: Momof4. Alot of my parents "friendly" and "jokingly" make fun of me, becasue I too am one of those no prepackaged, boxed, dyes and garbage food providers. Some will crack comments about it, but others tell me thats why they send their kids to me. In the summer we spend MANY snack times in the garden with a glass of water, they can "pick" what they want for snack. FROM THE GARDEN!!! The kids really enjoy it. I am such a germ freak, one mom gave me a gift bag with two industrial sized lysols for christmas one year. (at first I was a little hurt) :) but then I realized it was an awsome gift!!!!!!!!!

Momof4
08-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Kidlove, I always give my daycare parents a verbal about our day, where we went, what they ate, etc. Tonight I was telling the parents how I hid mashed cauliflower in the mac and cheese and 2 parents told me how their children love KD. To which I replied with a scared face, 'I don't serve anything out of a box!' Come on people! These children get 100% of their daily nutrition at daycare!

sunnydays
08-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Kidlove, I always give my daycare parents a verbal about our day, where we went, what they ate, etc. Tonight I was telling the parents how I hid mashed cauliflower in the mac and cheese and 2 parents told me how their children love KD. To which I replied with a scared face, 'I don't serve anything out of a box!' Come on people! These children get 100% of their daily nutrition at daycare!

Yep...my daycare parents have been known to say that they don't feel bad feeding their kids crap at home because they know they get healthy food all day long at daycare:blink: At least I feel I am exposing them to real food so that they might have a chance of eating well when they grow up. Most of my parents are shocked that their children will eat salmon for me...cause they never serve fish at home!

Momof4
08-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Yes, that's another one I heard today! One Mom said her daughter told her she doesn't like Mommy's fish, only my fish, same goes for mashed potatoes at their house. Why? Because I use real fish dipped in real batter, not the boxed stuff. I don't even want to think about mashed potatoes out of a box, eeeeew!

Mamma_Mia
08-17-2012, 11:43 PM
My 3yr old non-eater child's mom shared with me this week that dcg get KD for dinner almost each night and has had McDonalds on average 3 times a WEEK!!!!! OMG!!

It's disgusting and I now know why she wont eat for me....it's NOT junk!! <<roll>>

sunnydays
08-18-2012, 06:49 AM
That is sooo sad...poor kid! She is going to have so many health problems as she grows up and she will likely never learn to eat healthy food. I believe we set our childrens' taste pallettes in those early years and even though they may go through some pickiness here and there, as they grow up they will come back to those foods we gave them early on. That's why I like getting dck's as babies...they start eating my healthy food before they learn about junk food!

My 3yr old non-eater child's mom shared with me this week that dcg get KD for dinner almost each night and has had McDonalds on average 3 times a WEEK!!!!! OMG!!

It's disgusting and I now know why she wont eat for me....it's NOT junk!! <<roll>>

Momof4
08-18-2012, 12:37 PM

Eeeeew, I can't even tell you the last time I walked into a McDonalds. Boy, talk about clogging your child's nice clean little arteries.

mimi
08-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Also no white bread in my house. Multi grain and the pastas too. I hear the same thing. They eat so well at dc we don't have to worry about nutrition at our house. I usually eat what the dc kids eat. If I don't/won't eat it....why should they? They are developing brains and bodies, parents feed them well!

kidlove
08-20-2012, 06:54 AM
i had to let a little guy go, because he didnt eat ANYTHING at my house. His diet was DISGUSTING at home, mom admitted she NEVER made veggies because no one would eat them and when Dad would drop him off some days he would say ________ doesnt need lunch today, he already ate, had a corn dog in the car. Or oooooh spaghetti-o's are his favorite!!! aaaahhhh! Not a "right fit" for me. And this boy was "grosely" over weight, didnt run much, moved really slowly. Was anemic and on iron pills because "he has low iron" "his body doesnt produce enough" well...........maybe its cuz you dont feed him right!!!!!!! that should be concidered child abuse. no joke! you are killing your kid slowly by feeding them crap constantly!!!!