PDA

View Full Version : Wow. Good luck finding care that cheap.

Starshine
08-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Just saw an ad on kijiji. Someone looking for care for two kids, 5 days a week, for 5 hours each day. This person is offering $50 per week total. :ohmy:

Inspired by Reggio
08-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Wow that has got to be a typo!!!! Seriously that is $1 an hour per child ... people pay a 12 year old babysitter more than that so they can go out to a dinner and a show :rolleyes:

Starshine
08-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Wow that has got to be a typo!!!! Seriously that is $1 an hour per child ... people pay a 12 year old babysitter more than that so they can go out to a dinner and a show :rolleyes:

Not a typo. She actually clarifies it in her ad by saying "$50 per week or $200 per month." And something about finishing school and not getting child support, so that's all she can afford. Isn't that what childcare subsidy is for? Geez.

Toregone
08-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Don't people understand that you pay for what you get?? ARGH! She's going to end up with someone that plunks the kids in front of the tv all day and feeds them macaroni and cheese for every meal.

Inspired by Reggio
08-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Nice ~ ya sorry but it is not MY job to subsidize childcare so that you can finish school and better yourself ~ if you are truly eligible for social assistance to finish school and so forth than go that route ;)

I left home at 15 and worked two jobs, one full time nights from 5pm - 1 in a restaurant and the other in a laundry mat weekends Saturday and Sunday 8-5 to keep a roof over my head, food in my belly and make sure that I stayed in school so I could make something of my life someday despite the odds being stacked against me. Even at that young age I saved up 15% of my money to have a 'buffer' in my bank account cause while my dad was an abusive man he did teach me about the importance of this ~ put myself through college not once but two degrees and than I spent the next decade paying back those student loan by again living on a shoestring budget ... I get that sometimes 'shit happens' and you find yourself in financial challenges but I do admit that this feeling of entitlement of a handout from someone else so that you can 'get ahead' in life just does not make sense to me ... like hands you lemons you figure out how to make lemon aid you do not go looking for someone else to take your lemons so you can trade up for Belgian Chocolates you feel you are entitled too ;)

Seriously ~ if you cannot get subsidy because you are not 'eligible' for some reason get a BIGGER STUDENT LOAN so you can pay for childcare or you postpone school until you can 'save up' to pay for it or figure something out with your family supporting you ... you do not expect some stranger to care for your valued and irreplaceable child for $1 an hour ~ honestly how can anyone expect that to turn out GOOD for anyone?

Sorry rant over but it really makes me shake my head these days the way people think the world 'owes them' something and they are entitled have it all via handouts from the government and so forth!

Inspired by Reggio
08-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Don't people understand that you pay for what you get?? ARGH! She's going to end up with someone that plunks the kids in front of the tv all day and feeds them macaroni and cheese for every meal.

At a $1 an hour this would be a BLESSING if the children were that 'safe' ... seriously I am more afraid they would end up being cared for in a 'crack house' where someone is taking in kids to legitimize to the neighborhood why so many people come and go from the property cause there is a meth lab in the basement or something :(

daycarewhisperer
08-16-2012, 05:55 PM
You can't even pay the hard cost of housing and feeding a child for a dollar an hour. Where else can a parent take a child and have a roof over their head, electricity, and running water for a dollar an hour? If your child's body is going to be under someone else's roof it costs MONEY. That's not including feeding and supervision/care.... just HOUSING is going to be more than a dollar an hour. It's wrong to expect someone to house your child for a small amount of money and not offer them money for labor. That's what she is saying... no labor money.

mimi
08-16-2012, 05:58 PM
I left home at 15 and worked two jobs, one full time nights from 5pm - 1 in a restaurant and the other in a laundry mat weekends Saturday and Sunday 8-5 to keep a roof over my head, food in my belly and make sure that I stayed in school so I could make something of my life someday despite the odds being stacked against me. Even at that young age I saved up 15% of my money to have a 'buffer' in my bank account cause while my dad was an abusive man he did teach me about the importance of this ~ put myself through college not once but two degrees and than I spent the next decade paying back those student loan by again living on a shoestring budget ... I get that sometimes 'shit happens' and you find yourself in financial challenges but I do admit that this feeling of entitlement of a handout from someone else so that you can 'get ahead' in life just does not make sense to me ... like hands you lemons you figure out how to make lemon aid you do not go looking for someone else to take your lemons so you can trade up for Belgian Chocolates you feel you are entitled too ;)

Wow Reggio I just have to say kudos to you. You have amazing perserverance and have overcome and achieved alot.:star:

kidlove
08-17-2012, 06:43 AM
that is absolutely insane!!!!!! that kind of pay will come with "nasty" care.

angelina
12-05-2012, 08:41 PM
What is really frightening about that is she's put her kids out there for a pervert to say, "Oh sure! I'll do it! I love kids!"

Sure do buddy!

i agree with you. that is putting your children at risk. *sigh*

angie

Mamma_Mia
12-06-2012, 12:22 PM
I agree with both luppernoodle & angelina.....very risky.