PDA

View Full Version : BE CAREFUL With your back !!

Spixie33
08-17-2012, 07:44 PM
I can't say this enough but to tell everyone to really take care of yourself and your back.

I was having back pain on and off since I opened the daycare 2 years ago. The pain would come and go. I just took an Advil and powered through my days.

Then about 2 months ago I noticed my toes felt a little numb. I made a doctor's appt and she said maybe I needed more core muscles and signed me up to Physio.

The symptoms kept getting worse and I ended up in the ER and getting an MRI.

I found out this week I need a major surgery because my spine is being compressed by one of my disks.

I think it was caused by pulling kids in the wagon up and down our steep hills in the neighborhood and lifting them, bending etc. The doctors have said it looks like the spine of someone who works in the trades for a living or in a factory doing heavy work.

So...as I prepare for surgery I wanted to come and warn everyone to please be careful ....listen to your body and put yourself first. I didn't and now I am forced to.

Be careful, and protect your backs everyone:)

DCP_But_Momma_1st
08-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Oh no :( I am so sorry to hear that. I throw out my back once a year and it is so bad I have to take a day or two off as I can't stand or walk. I hope I don't/havn't damaged my back like you.

So what will you do? You must have to take a long time off.

mamaof4
08-17-2012, 08:45 PM
oy! i am so sorry

Inspired by Reggio
08-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Oh hon ~ I could not agree more! I am so glad to hear you were able to get an MRI and a surgery booked so quickly ~ your are correct about the risk to the back in our industry being worse than someone working in trades or factory ~ there is a reason why the childcare industry is 'excempt' from the requirement to protect its workers with WSIB because we are too high a risk to actually NEEDING it that it would be a strain on the insurance system and centres would not be able to pay the preimums required :rolleyes:

I worked in centre care for years pushing quad and six seater strollers and while it was fine when I was in my 20's and young and spry ~ I ended up herniating my disc in 1998 when a stroller 'tipped' on me in a sink hole I did not see and the jar to my back that created trying to prevent the kids from 'falling' ... I always feel like a broken record warning people who push those quad strollers full of toddler children most of whom these days weight 30 pounds or more despite being under two ~ we are not pack mules we are not meant to be pushing around multiple children day in and day out years on end in addition to all the other lifting and bending that wee children require ... this is also why I choose to follow the 'age restriction' set out by the Ontario DNA of no more than two children under the age of two ~ cause the most I ever have to push or pull is two kids ~ the others are all able to walk independently anywhere we go and in reality I only typically push a single child because as soon as they are 16 months I start encouraging them to walk beside the stroller so that by the time they are 2 they are able walkers.

Momof4
08-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Spixie, I hope your surgery and recovery are perfect and quick without too much pain. That sounds awful! Poor baby! Take care and do everything your doc tells you to do to get stronger and healthier.

I'm strong for an old broad, and always I'm amazed at you younguns who fall apart way too young with sprains and strains. I do have a wagon but I stopped using it a few years ago and opted for a double stroller and to make sure I start practicing my little ones to walk beside the stroller with the backpacks and ropes attached to my hands because I don't deserve the pain and suffering pulling a heavy wagon.

I had inflamed rotator cuffs in my shoulders and a bad back and carpal tunnel syndrome and tennis elbows at my last job at the medical lab because of repetitive strain injuries. Now, I take much better care of myself.

By the way, they told me none of these things would heal but they have all healed!

playfelt
08-18-2012, 03:01 PM
One of the reasons I stopped doing school age care was because I was tired of pulling the wagon load of kids every day. Now we go as far as my back yard most of the time. For the age I look after - under 3 I have everything I need in the yard.

Spixie33
08-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Oh no :( I am so sorry to hear that. I throw out my back once a year and it is so bad I have to take a day or two off as I can't stand or walk. I hope I don't/havn't damaged my back like you.

So what will you do? You must have to take a long time off.

Yes I have had to shut down one week already and then next week I hopefully get the operation and have about 6-8 weeks recovery after that.

I was feeling too guilty to shut down for 1 day to see my doctor and here I am out 10 weeks approx and I also don't know how many of my families will come back or if anyone will. Even after one week I am stressing about the finances but I have no choice but to take care of my surgery.

My back is so badly compressed that they actually have to cut me open near my chest, remove a rib, deflate a lung and then work their way to the spinal cord that way because it would be too dangerous to approach from my back. I am not facing possible paralysis, lost wages etc....all because I didn't take care of myself. It is a major surgery.

I also thought I was strong like a bull and could do it. I grew up on a farm and thought that all the bending, lifting etc was easy peasy for my body. I am in my low 30s and apparently my body thought otherwise. :no:

Be careful.....you do not want to find yourself in this situation. The money isn't worth it if you are jeopardizing your health. I kept thinking that the dcp were counting on me, my own kids and finances were depending on me and now I realize how wrong I was.

Thanks for all the well wishes with the surgery

Spixie33
08-18-2012, 04:40 PM
One of the reasons I stopped doing school age care was because I was tired of pulling the wagon load of kids every day. Now we go as far as my back yard most of the time. For the age I look after - under 3 I have everything I need in the yard.

I also haven't done school age in over a year....but pulling BIG babies in the wagon still does it. My 1 year olds were weighing 23 pounds and up. They are breeding super babies out there.

Then there were 1 year olds who would transition and would cry unless you held them, bending down to change diapers and get up again repetitively, bending and putting kids in and out of playards at nap when they weigh 20-30 lbs (and under 2) etc.

Take it easy and be safe rather than sorry

Starshine
08-18-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that you have to have major surgery. I hope that everything goes as smoothly as possible and that you recover well and quickly.

So, does anyone have suggestions for taking care of our backs? There is going to be a certain amount of lifting, carrying, pushing, etc that needs to be done in this field. Should we just limit it? Does any sort of exercise or stretching help prevent back injuries?

playfelt
08-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Knees are the other joints that go quickly in our business due to the bending and being down on the floor all the time.

I know some caregivers that have regular massages to keep the muscles relaxed and appointments with chiropractors to try and catch issues early but I am another one that just assumes it is easier to take a pain killer and keep going since it is too disruptive to everyone not to.

Prayers that everything goes smoothly and recovery goes quick.

For prevention remember that repetitive stress injuries are just that - doing the same thing over and over in the same way. Things like putting the baby wipes on the other side of you sometimes so you turn and reach left instead of right or carrying a child on the other hip for more of the time are little things that might pay off down the road. Sometimes we forget that we aren't kids and have to not move like they can. My body is getting up there in years and yes some days it rebels at certain movements and I rearrange the way I am doing things for a few days till it settles down. But backs and bending are something we have no control over in our line of work. Thank you for reminding us that we need to pay attention when our bodies are talking to us.

Inspired by Reggio
08-18-2012, 07:05 PM
....So, does anyone have suggestions for taking care of our backs? There is going to be a certain amount of lifting, carrying, pushing, etc that needs to be done in this field. Should we just limit it? Does any sort of exercise or stretching help prevent back injuries?

When you HAVE to bend or lift make sure you are doing it properly ... take the time to bend at the knees verses the waist and lift slowly with your LEGS and not your back. Make a goal of setting up your environment to promote minimal bending and lifting to only what is 'necessary' to meet the kids needs and keep them safe... aka get kids independent as fast as possible to limit the carrying, bending and lifting .... aka change them on an accessible surface to avoid lifting them up onto a change table OR have step or ladder up to change table for them to get onto it with 'support' from you but not you doing ALL the lifting, if they are old enough to walk steadily start getting them to 'walk' instead of riding in a wagon or stroller, once they are following simple direction and commands get them out of a highchair and sitting at a small table where they climb up into the chair independently , out of the crib and sleeping on a mat or cot, climbing up and down stairs, climbing into the car and carseat on own and so forth .... all my kids do these things by 18 months at the latest some earlier ;)

Than make sure you focus on a healthy diet, proper sleep and exercise in general ... yoga is awesome cause it stretches and tones muscles. A focus on lower body strength .... great visual slide show here of many of the ones I do.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/LB00001_D

I also second the use of massage and chiropractic care as 'preventative' maintenance BEFORE you have trouble!

Spixie33
08-18-2012, 07:34 PM
xcellent question about preventative stuff for backs....
In retrospect and from what I have learned....I would strongly suggest everyone do Pilates that focus on your core or look up core exercises to strengthen your back muscles.
Things like doing the plank position or simple back exercises will hopefully keep your muscles strong.
You can even search core strength or back exercises on you tube and there are some good instructional videos.
I thought I was pretty fit, young etc but in retrospect I wish I had done some core workouts and listened to my body sooner rather than just taking the Advil to stop the pain.

Play and Learn
08-18-2012, 08:15 PM
As I have regular back pain, not from childcare, I do many exercises and things to prevent my back from going out once again! Here's a list (adding to those who have posted as well):

- Pilates and/or Yoga is a great tool for strengthening your core (your middle - tummy muscles).
- REMEMBER: NAVAL TO SPINE AT ALL TIMES! For anyone who's done dance now or in the past, you've probably heard this saying before! :) Walk and sit while doing this, it improves your posture as well.
- Try NOT to sit on the floor. Have a good chair - preferably wooden to sit on. Having your hips on a slant doesn't help, and try to keep your knees and hips at 90 degrees (i think that's how it's done....hard to write it out lol).
- If you have to be on the floor with the kids, then do your exercises then! They will tend to join you if they can - it's really cute...
- Lift with your KNEES, not your back! I think I was raised with this saying as both my parents and siblings have back problems. Like Reggio explained: bend with your knees, not with your back.

- Teach your children and the daycare children to walk on their own. I don't pull kids in the wagon who can walk for a long distance on their own.
- I teach the children how to go up and down the stairs as soon as possible!
- Have the children climb up on their booster seats if possible.
- For children who I cannot lift, I change them by having them stand up. Childcare workers know what I mean! lol If they have a BM, then I have them lay down on the floor to change them....OR they need to be trained! lol :P
- I put children on cots when I can no longer lift them. I don't care what age they are....it's the weight!

Because I have chronic back pain (not from childcare), I go to see my RMT (Registered Massage Therapist). I am lucky enough to be covered (thank you hubby) so I can go every 8 weeks. It makes a difference if you can afford it!

Keep in shape - take walks, try a new activity. I teach Highland Dancing as my other business, so I'm pretty much always active (minus with this pregnancy).

Good luck, and try not to mask the pain. Go see a physiotherapist ASAP if something is bothering you. There are exercises for all those aches and pains!

Starshine
08-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all the tips ladies!

Play and Learn...you teach Highland Dancing? How cool is that! My father's side is originally from the Scottish Highlands.

kidlove
08-20-2012, 06:40 AM
So Sorry, that stinks...how long do you have to be out of work to recover?
I also have back issues about every 2 monthes I need to go to ciropractor for ANOTHER realignment. perhaps the only real downfall healthwise of this job. :( hope you get better soon, and maybe get a motor for that wagon. :laugh:

jec
08-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Take it easy until your surgery ~ my heart goes out to you!!
Your right, our health is so important and my back is starting to give on me in many situations even though I wear a brace when pulling the choo choo around. Pulling my last crew who in total weighed almost 150 lbs. I couldn't continue doing the school run for my own kids doing that twice a day.

Thanks for the tips ladies- the reminders help as sometimes I think I can do it all when I should be taking better care

Keep us in touch after your surgery as to how you are doing ~ you can listen to all of our crazy days to help you get through your recovering ones

Sandbox Sally
08-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the warning. Good luck w your surgery, love. xo

Spixie33
08-20-2012, 02:39 PM
So Sorry, that stinks...how long do you have to be out of work to recover?
I also have back issues about every 2 monthes I need to go to ciropractor for ANOTHER realignment. perhaps the only real downfall healthwise of this job. :( hope you get better soon, and maybe get a motor for that wagon. :laugh:

I have about 6-8 weeks of recovery after the surgery where I can't do bending, lifting, stretching...basical ly not much of anything.

I am not sure if daycare is a good option afterwards. I keep tossing it around in my mind and am scared it could happen again yet it has been a good job/income for me until this happened. I guess I have to focus on the surgery and recovery foremost and then figure out the rest after.

I really hope everyone reads this and is just very careful and listens to their body

Spixie33
09-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I got out of the hospital this week. I am still in a lot of pain every day but at least I can walk. During the surgery the doctor said it was 50/50 whether I would be able to move my legs. I am now home on rest orders for 6-8 weeks and on pain meds and limited ability to do stuff.
I was thinking of all the dcps out there and hoping good things for all of you and that nothing like this ever happens to anyone else. Be careful with your body everyone.

Momof4
09-01-2012, 02:45 PM
How frightening for you! Take good care of yourself and follow your doc's instructions. This is nothing to fool with because if you don't heal it could affect whether or not you have pain for the rest of your life.

I'm over 50 and I have osteoarthritis that has flared up a few times in different joints and then I go into remission with no pain. When I worked at the lab I had repetivtive strain injuries: tennis elbows and inflamed rotator cuffs in my shoulders. They told me it wouldn't heal but as long as I'm careful I don't have any pain. I consider myself super lucky to be pain free when there are so many 30 year olds suffering. I'm careful.

Inspired by Reggio
09-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Spixie sending you healing vibes for a full recovery!