PDA

View Full Version : Slow time of year?

Toregone
08-19-2012, 09:12 PM
I opened earlier this year and although it took me about a month or so to get full I really didn't have much trouble. Then for months after even though I wasn't advertising I was getting calls every week. Now I'm looking to fill one or possibly 2 spots and am in a bit of a hurry to do so. The problem is no one is calling. It's so weird. I didn't anticipate any trouble filling the spots but I can't find anyone.

Also on a side note... anyone have trouble filling spots while they are pregnant? I'm about 6 weeks so there is still lots of time before the baby comes but I don't know how to handle this. Do people actually sign on for care knowing that there is an end in sight? I am in the process of lining up back up care for my mat leave which will only be a couple of months and I will let parents know that, but still I'm worried if I don't fill spots soon I'll be SOL as once I start to show I think it will turn people off even more.

kidlove
08-20-2012, 06:05 AM
I too have a lul, I have ALOT of my kids going to school, first time to worry in about 4 years, trying to keep it in stride...God always provides. Right now though He's providing JUST ENOUGH. little nerving!!! I know how you feel there. you would think as long as you are open about the pregnancy and if you have someone lined up for your mat leave you "should" be okay with most paretns. however, O can see a "little" concern maybe for a new parent thinking, how full your hands will be once your baby comes? not sure though, thats a long ways away. I wouldnt be too concerned......as long as you were a caring and compitant provider, you having a baby wouldnt change too much in my eyes. hang in there.
ps. maybe a smaller load will be a blessing for when your pregnancy carries farther? maybe you will need a lighter load. :)

apples and bananas
08-20-2012, 06:12 AM
I always find the summer slow, but when it comes to September I can't turn people away fast enough.

Also, in regards to being pregnant... I'll be honest, if I was looking for care I probably wouldn't go with someone who was expecting unless they had a great plan to either not interupt care or I had a solution during that time. I think if you put together a great plan that may help, but you wouldn't tell them your expecting until the interview so that wouldn't stop people from calling for interviews.

I always find that when I don't have anyone calling for weeks, suddenly when they do start calling it's like a flood of people.

Inspired by Reggio
08-20-2012, 06:18 AM
Ya ~ I have two openings for September myself and although getting lots of 'inquires' they are either not serious (aka how much do you charge and you never hear from them again) or they sound like they would be awesome but not that perfect match for both age of child and hours of care needed cause I just cannot take on another babe as I already have 2 under two and well I cannot work more than 10 hours a day it just leads to burn out!

If the Ontario teachers end up striking like they are saying we might all find ourselves very busy at least for a while until they are legislated back to work ;)

Sending everyone filling up vibes ~ the perfect client ARE out there!!!

sunnydays
08-20-2012, 07:29 AM
I am moving and have been advertising for a couple of weeks and had 0 response...so I know how you feel! The only family I have that has shown interest wants the space for February...I haven't decided if it's worth holding the spot...I want to see how things go in September first. I am hoping what others have said about September being busy is true! I have never had a hard time filling spots either...but now that I am down to 1.5 kids in September due to my move, it is a bit unnerving to have no response to my ads...I am hoping it's just because everyone is on vacation! Good luck to you and congrats on the baby :)

jec
08-20-2012, 07:43 AM
I have found it's feast or famine in this business. Summer is usually slower as people are on holidays but come end of this month there is a scramble to get daycare before school starts. Good luck!

As for your pregnancy ~ congrats!! I would be honest as well. Put the shoe on the other foot. I remember reading about a provider in our group who was really upset about a daycare family not saying anything to her about their pregnancy and then having to fill the spot.
I agree with apples and bananas- come up with a plan for parents as to what your going to do for your mat leave ~ can you work with other providers' in your area about taking on care- some have temporary spots to fill due to mat leaves etc

What goes around comes around ;)

Momof4
08-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Congratulations on the new addition to your family. I agree with Jec about the 'feast or famine', as that has been my story. I have found that Sept.-Dec. are the times everyone is going back to work and my guess is that lots of babies are conceived in the cold winter months and born in the fall, hehe.

Keep advertising because the people looking for fall spaces will start searching now that vacation time is over.

Starshine
08-22-2012, 11:39 AM
I have found the last month very slow, but for the past week or so I've been getting lots of inquiries for September. Here's hoping everyone fills up!

cdngirl
08-22-2012, 01:52 PM
I have been actively trying to fill spots for Sept the last month or so and while I've been getting an ok amount of calls, it's not resulting in many interviews. Actually I'm not even sure what a good response rate is lol. I have had only two interviews so far and they didn't result in a spot being filled. I'm starting to get nervous but will hope that I will have better luck soon. Reading threads like this is reassuring to me and keeps me positive.
Good luck to everyone.