PDA

View Full Version : Eggs ~ who knew?!

jec
08-20-2012, 07:08 AM
What do you ladies think about the news now saying that too many eggs are just as bad for your arteries as smoking :eek:
http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shine-on/egg-yolks-almost-bad-arteries-smoking-study-172428591.html

Seriously ...seems everything is so bad for you these days. I gotta stick to my theory of everything in moderation!
Eggs are such a part of my family's meals and the daycare's too! Baking alone and I do a lot of baking and then breakfast alone.... french toast/scrambled eggs- wraps and so on and so on

This is only one study that has come out but then years ago it was thought that smoking wasn't a health problem and look at all it's doing now. And now this report is claiming too many eggs harm your arteries. I've already started cutting out the amount of eggs we eat -

I've tried baking with egg alturnatives and had no luck. Has anyone baked with an egg alturnative they would like to share that worked for them and kept the great taste of the recipe ??

Momof4
08-20-2012, 07:20 AM
I just finished reading the Paleo Solution book and he suggests that eggs and bacon and meat, meat, meat will heal your cholesterol. I don't know about that, but I think everything in moderation is a good motto. I like eggs once or twice a week.

kidlove
08-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Uuuuh! I was raised by a mommy who taught me, not only everything in moderation....and... use your brain to eat healthy.....but I dont think eggs are nec. the issue, perhaps it s the way they are prepared? bacon grease vs. olive oil? or added cheese and meats vs. added veggies? sure if you eat eggs every day, or have fried eggs and bacon rather than poached eggs and whole weat toast. I also hate the fact that they are now saying skim milk or maybe 1% instead of whole milk. what? IMO whole milk is great for you (minus all the hormones and steroids they pump the cows with these days) that to me is natural fats.....the other option is the "un-natural" fats. I wonder if there wasn't so much preservative filled foods and fast foods these days, if there wouldnt be such an issue over things that are God made such as eggs from a chicken or milk from a cow.
ps. although I find the studies on dif kinds of eggs much more informative. (perhaps thats where this study should have gone?) a farm raised hen...organically fed and free range (real free range) will provide a much healthier egg than a factory hen, caged and fed in-organic. more vitamins A E and folic acid, and more healthy protein. vitamin d-3, and omega-3. healthy fatty acids. good for your heart and a babies growing body. Just eat healthy!!!!! :) :)

kidlove
08-20-2012, 10:00 AM
what is egg alternative made from? I would be more concerned about eating something that is genetically engineered? Are egg alt. made from natural ingredients? I've never used them. That would scare me more, like we find out 5 yrs from now that the ing. in the "fake" eggs, led to cancer in some cases. :(

playfelt
08-20-2012, 12:09 PM
I think the study is so flawed I am appalled that UWO agreed to let it be published let alone fund it.

The study makes no sense at all because it omits some valuable factors such as how many of those breakfast egg eaters also ate bacon every day.

Eggs have gone in and out of favour over the years. Apparantly what is raised these days is supposed to be better for you than what was available years ago but not convinced.

I do think when you compare the nutritional value of many food you can see that there is a lot of dense nutrients in an egg that is valuable for many people. A child will often eat a scrambled egg that will not chew a piece of meat. The practical has to be weighed against any study.

jec
08-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Just eat healthy!!!!! :) :)
I agree with you on this one!

Egg alterntive can be processed but I don't like processed foods. You can use apple sauce and or ground flax seed instead. I've just never done baking with them and wondered if anyone has tried and noticed a difference in the taste or way the baking raises.
There are a lot of allergies to eggs out there and was thinking maybe someone could offer their experience. I can google but like to hear from people who have tried and liked something

treeholm
08-20-2012, 12:19 PM
My philosophy is just to eat foods in their natural state. Nothing out of a box or processed. Anything with more than 5 ingredients listed is something I personally decide to avoid. Eggs? No chance any study will convince me to give them up LOL. There was a study just a few years ago that demonstrated that they are much healthier than previously thought, and while the pendulum swings back and forth on nutrition, I figure if I eat lots of organic fruits and veggies, whole grains, eggs and cheese, and the occasional steak or burger, I'll probably be fine. I'm in my 50s, and my cholesterol levels are excellent. That's good enough evidence for me.

jec
08-20-2012, 12:24 PM
The practical has to be weighed against any study.
I think with any study you have to take into consideration that the person doing the study and also the person writing about it has their own personal views on what they think.
I think anything in excess isn't good ;)

I'm the type of person who likes to dig a little more to find out where an idea and or a study like this gets it's foundations. There are so many books and methods of how to eat, what not to eat and what you should eat, just don't take something for face value and actually learn about what is going into our mouths.

playfelt
08-20-2012, 12:24 PM
There was something I used to have to use in baking with a child that had a severe egg allergy and it was something like vinegar and baking soda or something like that.

Most kids I have had with an egg allergy are ok eating baked goods since the egg is broken down in mixing and baking which is nice. Isn't so bad when scrambled eggs are the only thing off the menu.

sunnydays
08-20-2012, 12:27 PM
And more importantly...who FUNDED the study ;)

I think with any study you have to take into consideration that the person doing the study and also the person writing about it has their own personal views on what they think.
I think anything in excess isn't good ;)

I'm the type of person who likes to dig a little more to find out where an idea and or a study like this gets it's foundations. There are so many books and methods of how to eat, what not to eat and what you should eat, just don't take something for face value and actually learn about what is going into our mouths.

Inspired by Reggio
08-20-2012, 12:32 PM
The problem with our diet is not any ONE thing but the combination of the foods we eat and how they interact together and the fact that we often do not LISTEN to how our food makes us FEEL and just keep eating it anyway until we forget what it felt like to feel HEALTHY ;)

I agree that this study is flawed ~ if we use our common sense we know that evolved from times when eggs were an main STAPLE in our diets because they were easy and cheap to keep a chicken on your farm and it was easy and quick source of protein .... and obesity and high cholesterol was not an 'issue' for our ancestors they were more likely to die from poor hygiene than diet related illnesses!

The suggested issue with digestion if you read OTHER nutritional studies is that we have high cholesterol and other challenges in North America not because of 'fats found in animals we consume' but because we eat a very HIGH PROCESSED AND CARB diet full of refined and processed grains and sugars that are not REAL FOOD it is food that has been altered by man in some way .... so the 'cholesterol' that is found in eggs and other REAL foods that we are supposed to eat as humans clings to these PROCESSED food molecules which the human body has a hard time digesting and does not allow the body to digest / flush them properly from the system resulting in 'build up' .... it is kinda like how your if your water is full of high % calcium and other deposits that do not belong in the tap water than your pipes in your house get build up and eventually your toilet and sinks do not 'rinse out properly' because of that build up and you get clogs and so forth .... same thing with the fatty foods from animal meats and proteins ~ they are not meant to 'adhere' to the processed grain and sugar that we consume them with and it 'changes' the digestion and nutrition absorption for us.

My sister has been eating a Paleo inspired diet ... high protein, high 'healthy fats' and low carb with no grains diet with only 'real foods' .... for over 5 years now as part of her treatment of her Celiac as well as to avoid diabetes that runs in our family .... she eats a lot of 'healthy fats' and eats eggs and bacon daily ... in fact she eats a LOT of eggs, red meat and fatty nuts and other 'cholesterol no nos' ~ she is lucky she lives in the States and can 'pay' to have blood work done and monitored so she watches her 'health' closely ~ her cholesterol levels are lower NOW than they were on her grain based diet prior where she only ate eggs, bacon and so forth rarely and she is the first women in our family to reach 50 without being diagnosed with Diabetes .... her spouse and other families members following this have seen similar positive results ~ her FIL who had had two heart attacks due to high cholesterol and blood pressure and was on a whack of cholesterol lower medications and a strict 'low cholesterol' diet which ironically is very HIGH in grains and was still 'struggling' prior to going Paleo with her is now on NO medications, lost 60 pounds and is playing squash 4 times a week ... and he is eating eggs and bacon daily ;)