PDA

View Full Version : What to do when a dayhome moves

mamaof4
04-09-2011, 03:54 PM
It happens- every once in a while circumstances dictate that people must move.

What is the proper procedure to announce this and what do expect the families to do?

Rhonda
04-10-2011, 01:35 PM
I have moved my daycare 4 times, some within the same town and others to a new town.

When moving to the same town: If I will be continueing childcare, I give my parents notice, let them know my knew location and let them decide if they would like to continue in my daycare.

When moving to a different town: I will give my families lots of notice to allow them to find appropriate childcare and provide a list of other caregivers who have spaces.

I agree that moving is a very personal choice and we should not allow daycare families to influence our decisions, a daycare family would never permit us to influence theirs.

giraffe
04-11-2011, 12:21 PM
I moved within the same town and every single family followed me to the new home. When we moved we found the new house first, then sold our home. I think that it helped because the families knew exactly where i was moving to so that they could make an informed decision. Moving out of town is a different story. I think that i would give my families as much notice as possible. Knowing that usually you have a 60 days closing will give the parents time to find other care. I would most likely want to use past parents as refrences in my new town so i'd like to stay on their "good side".

playfelt
04-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Have moved several times due to hubby's job so it has been out of town. I have done it both ways after a bad experience on one move. While we knew in January that we were moving in July I made the mistake of telling my families. They all immediately started looking for new care thinking I was going to be too busy to do daycare "properly". Eventually half stayed till end of June and others moved on between Feb and June. We needed that income right through till July. So when it came time to move other times I have held off telling my parents till the last possible moment - like oh don't be alarmed when you come to pick up and there is a for sale sign on the lawn, your space is secure till June. The listing was with no sign over the winter and then for real so to speak once spring hit and the house buying season began. Again as we are reading on so many of the forum topics it is the behaviour of one or more parents that has spoiled it for everyone else.

Rhonda
04-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Playfelt that is so true about how it the actions/behaviours of one or more parent that spoils things for everyone else. Every single policy in my daycare handbook is in there because of an experience with a daycare family.

Yes there are amazing daycare families and I have some in care right now, but sometimes all it takes is 1 bad apple :(