PDA

View Full Version : In a Slump!

apples and bananas
08-22-2012, 01:21 PM
What do you do when you get into a slump?

I'm having one of those weeks when I want to do anything else but this! Too much whining... crying... and poop... oh the poop! My kids are both going to school full time this year and I'm wondering to myself... why am I going backwards? I just finished all the annoying baby/toddler stuff... and I'm choosing to continue to do it? Everyday? With kids that aren't even mine? Am I crazy?

I reminded myself that my destination is my coffee pot in the morning... that didn't help, it just made me miss my starbucks every morning.

Then I reminded myself that I get to see my kids on and off the bus every day, I'm here when they need me and I don't have to worry if they stay home sick... but my kids are coming to the last 2 weeks of summer and starting to drive me a little crazy, so it's not really a positive today. LOL

Anyone have any suggestions how to pick myself back up?

treeholm
08-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I would recommend you treat yourself to something. You miss Starbucks... can you head there tonight when the kids have been picked up? Maybe invite a girlfriend to meet you there? Buy a good book and curl up for a while and read? Those are just some of my favourite pick-me-ups. I have a kobo, so buying a good book is something I can do right here in my living room LOL

sunnydays
08-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Oh I hear you...my 4 year old is driving me nuts too! Luckily he is going to French school and they start a bit earlier...I can't wait! I know I am doing this to stay home with my kids and I am still happy to be doing it, but boy do they know how to wear you down at times! I second what treeholm said...go treat yourself to a starbucks this evening...get out and do something fun...anything to get yourself out of the house. It also helps to go to the park and have other moms/caregivers to chat with/complain with...I am pretty sure we all feel like this at times...I love waht I am doing and want to continue doing it, but I have definitely had weeks just like what you are describing! Hang in there!

Inspired by Reggio
08-22-2012, 01:43 PM
When I am feeling in a slump or the kids are getting too 'sibling like' behavior a change of scenery usually helps us all ~ so I will just do more 'outings' with the kids this gives me other adults to talk to and to be honest often fresh perspective on how BAD some other peoples kids can truly be so I can focus and remember that mine, while 'annoying' sometimes personality wise, are really rather well behaved children in the grand scheme of things cause they do not have tantrums or hurt others intentionally for fun and so forth and well a little 'whining' or asking the same question 20 times or doing the 'look at me' things in comparison to that is welcome break ... and for the children it allows them some other kids to play with to get a 'break' from each other and also to remind them how easy their normal peers are to play with cause they know all the rules to their games and so forth.

I keep a pros and cons list too .... it was the one I started when deciding if this was the path for me and I have continued to add too it and as long as the PROS continue to outweigh the cons I will continue to keep my focus on loving doing this.

Plus every job requires you to deal with cleaning up other peoples 'shit' in the workplace at one time or another but at least our job the children do not know any better than to 'shit' and eventually you can help them learn to confine their shit to the toilet so you are not dealing with it so much .... very hard to teach ADULTS that and well their shit is often harder to clean up than 'real shit' of a child ;)

kidlove
08-22-2012, 01:44 PM
You need to take a half day this friday!!!!!!!!! no Joke, this works wonders for me, makes me feel like I get a break and adds a little time to your weekend with your fam. Tell all your parents you need a personal day, or have an appt and need to close early. Then pack your kids up and go somewhere, camping , swimming, hang out at the park, go away for the weekend, or just plain enjoy the peace and quiet!!!!! aaaahh! everybody needs a break every once in a while. :) This week has been that way for me as well, just dont want to hear any more wa wa wa! from all these guys!!!! :) I think its the change of season coming and the changes in returning to school/end of summer. We dont realize it but "WE ARE STRESSING!"

Inspired by Reggio
08-22-2012, 01:48 PM
I also agree with the treating yourself once in a while .... do not even have to wait to after work ... if there a Starbucks within walking distance of your house cause walk the kiddies over and get yourself one and treat them to a cookie or something ;)

I regularly buy myself fresh flowers for the playroom when they are a good price ~ cause it cheers me up and well we should be surrounded by beautiful things not just cause it is Valentines or Mothers Day or our Anniversary but just CAUSE!

Crayola kiddies
08-22-2012, 01:49 PM
I hear ya .... I miss the days when I could just zip out to the store if I wanted too, go watch the Xmas concert at the school , go to parent teacher interviews or go back to bed in the mornings..... I have two more days then I'm on holidays for a week and I'm going to do some of those things, I have one still at home for another year but I am going to keep doing this for about another 8-10 years .... Hopefully my mortgage will be almost paid off by then. Sorry no help here I think im feeling the same way

sunnydays
08-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Plus every job requires you to deal with cleaning up other peoples 'shit' in the workplace at one time or another but at least our job the children do not know any better than to 'shit' and eventually you can help them learn to confine their shit to the toilet so you are not dealing with it so much .... very hard to teach ADULTS that and well their shit is often harder to clean up than 'real shit' of a child ;)

I love this! I think I should print it out and stick it somewhere I can see it every day :laugh: Hey, maybe we should all do something like that...put some motivational quotes somewhere nearby and read them often to keep us going. I always tell myself that too..although Reggio's words are more perfect than I could have thought of...all jobs suck at times!

apples and bananas
08-22-2012, 02:00 PM
All good suggestions, thank you. I tend to get this way when I have a new child start. He's on his second full day and he's wonderful! Cries very little and when he does, it's just cause he wants to sit with me. :) He's a horrible napper, but I know within the month he'll be a great addition to the team.

I'm needed a change of scenery. I have 3 little ones and I can't take them all to the park together because I just can't pull the choo choo wagon. One of them is a little on the hefty side and when I pulled the stroller the other day I came back with a sore lower back and I'm stiff today. Not doing that again! LOL.

Thanks for all of your feedback. I hear the pumpkin spice latte is back at starbucks! I think I'll go investigate that later! :)

treeholm
08-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Pumpkin Spice Latte is back! You just made my day, thanks!

Mamma_Mia
08-22-2012, 03:10 PM
mmmmm...........Tall Vanilla Late @ 140 with chocolate shakes!! :p
(yes I ask for my milk to be at a lower temp so that way I can drink it right away and not wait 30min for it to cool off enough LOL) :laugh: that's one of my DIVA moments hahahaha

My favorite thing to say when people ask me if this job is better then one outside the home: "yes! When a child does something wrong or even....stupid (gasp, shock) it's not really their fault because they do NOT know better, unlike the adults..sadly!"

jec
08-23-2012, 07:29 AM
I've come to realize that we can forget ourselves in this business when we have our own young children.
Don't forget to take time for yourself ~ your just as important!! Enjoy your Starbucks! { I miss my morning Starbucks I used to get every morning on my way to the office but, that was the best part of my work day so I know I made the right choice ;) }