PDA

View Full Version : Looking for getaway suggestions!

apples and bananas
08-23-2012, 02:33 PM
My hubby and I are taking a much weekend away from the kids in November. We love little inn's and great undiscovered places. We're open to anywhere Toronto, north of Toronto , Muskoka's, or even out Ottawa way.

Do you have a great little place that you'd suggest?

Dreamalittledream
08-23-2012, 03:34 PM
My husband and I just got back from a weekend away in Picton...so beautiful! The county (as they call it) has nasty winters, so not sure that Nov. is the best time for there. My favourite winter destination is Montreal; take the train & stay @ the Queen Elizabeth (it's attached to the train station); they have beautiful rooms & an indoor pool/hot tub/spa. They are connected to the underground network with the yummiest bakery & a bunch of shops within minutes of your room. You literally will never need your coat mid-winter!

Dreamalittledream
08-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Oh and if you like spas there is Le Nordik in Gatineau.
http://lenordik.com/en/homepage/
For $50 you get a day pass to outdoor baths/hot tubs/saunas...they have heated walkways. I definitely prefer going in winter. There is a bed and breakfast within walking distance and the nearby town of Chelsea Quebec is just wonderful!

Momof4
08-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Well, I think a little bigger I'm afraid and I'm heading to Ireland in a month, can't wait!

mimi
08-23-2012, 04:00 PM
I second DALD's suggestion. I was going to say Prince Edward County (Picton) lovely, picturesque and peaceful. Also I love going to Ottawa. Lots to see and do and some great dining.

apples and bananas
08-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Well, I think a little bigger I'm afraid and I'm heading to Ireland in a month, can't wait!

I'm Jealous!

treeholm
08-23-2012, 04:19 PM
I just got back from 4 days in Ottawa. Although I was mostly there to help a friend get her parents ready to move into a seniors' home, we did do some fun stuff. The Art Gallery is always lovely (and we actually saw the Van Gogh exhibit, so that was awesome. There is a lovely restaurant just north of Dow Lake on the Canal... something "Ritz" I think, and it was amazing. The Byward market is always worth the trip, and the Museum of Civilization and Man is never boring either. I love Ottawa! I try to get there once a year anyway.

Dreamalittledream
08-23-2012, 04:24 PM
I just got back from 4 days in Ottawa. Although I was mostly there to help a friend get her parents ready to move into a seniors' home, we did do some fun stuff. The Art Gallery is always lovely (and we actually saw the Van Gogh exhibit, so that was awesome. There is a lovely restaurant just north of Dow Lake on the Canal... something "Ritz" I think, and it was amazing. The Byward market is always worth the trip, and the Museum of Civilization and Man is never boring either. I love Ottawa! I try to get there once a year anyway.. You forgot Ikea :)

Momof4
08-23-2012, 04:31 PM
I adore the Muskoka area, but what about Wasaga Beach and Collingwood, that's pretty much straight north from Hamilton?

Crayola kiddies
08-23-2012, 05:49 PM
What about a niagara wine tour ?? Or is that the wrong time of the year
Going north ... Orillia is beautiful ...I used to live there ... They have some nice b&b's ,I lived right across the street from one but not sure if it's still operational. As well as horeshoe valley is 20 mins from there. Yes collingwood is also very nice...blue mountain inn, and cranberry village....not so far north is hockley valley ...coming east ... How about Kingston? Its so nice along the water front... I live in Ottawa ... And there is a little town about 45 mins south west of Ottawa called merrickville which is so nice very quaint. .... I am heading to Toronto this weekend with two of my kids and we are going to the CN tower and either centerville or the Ex. Have fun planning what ever you decide on

treeholm
08-23-2012, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE]You forgot Ikea /QUOTE]

You saw me???? My friend lives less than 5 minutes from IKEA!! We were there a few times, LOL. My daycare is pretty much equipped with IKEA toys. Even my granddaughter knows the toys come from IKEA and she's only 3 and a half LOL