PDA

View Full Version : What is the strangest interview question?

mamaof4
08-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Today I was asked if the meat I used was kosher.. the family is not Jewish.

mimi
08-25-2012, 08:11 AM
LOL that is good. I was once asked if I had any surgeries scheduled in the near future. When I asked why they wanted to know they said my recovery time would be an inconvience to them. I didn't give them a straight answer, finished the interview and did not accept them. I quess I must have looked like I was on the brink of some medical malfunction!!!!! BTW no surgeries have been scheduled:laugh:

KingstonMom
08-25-2012, 09:21 AM
When I first started out, I was interviewing for a 1 yr old girl. they asked me 'how often do you change a child's diaper". I said "ummm, when it is dirty?" LOL
They had been around to other centres where they only change bums 3-4 times daily at schedules times and if they poop in between these 'diaper change times' they child would have to sit in it until the next time.
Ive never heard something so silly.

Inspired by Reggio
08-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Ya over the years I have heard all sorts of weird questions about people who just do not 'get' how home childcare works ... like the ones who want reassurance that the children are never out of your eye sight! Um ya nope ~ never ~ I just hold my bladder for 12 hours a day and if I really cannot hold it any longer I just bring all 5 children into the bathroom to watch me have my daily constitution cause what privacy we can turn it into a teachable moment :rolleyes: Seriously we are ONE person so YES there are times in the day where we are going to be using 'other senses' to supervise the children like our 'ears' or a 'monitor' and so forth.

....They had been around to other centres where they only change bums 3-4 times daily at schedules times and if they poop in between these 'diaper change times' they child would have to sit in it until the next time.
Ive never heard something so silly.

Oh good lord ... worked in centre care for over 15 years and never heard anything so silly myself ... yes they are required to a lot for 'washroom/diaper routines' into their posted schedule as part of licensing but it does not mean that if your kid goes 'outside' that time that they have to wait until the next 'scheduled' time frame.

Heck my home care routine has a slot of 'diaper checks and washroom routines' before morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack as well but if I am at the park and a kid poops their diaper I do not make them sit in it until we get home ~ I make sure I have packed diapers and wipes and I change them at the park and if the park does not have a 'bathroom' I bring a porta potty for training emergencies for kids in undies .... seriously is that not common sense? Who would make a child sit in a solid diaper for 2 1/2 hours because they pooped 20 minutes past the 'scheduled' bathroom time?

My guess is that they READ a centre's posted schedule and ASSUMED that cause it was written on the schedule to due washroom / diaper / handwashing before morning snack, lunch and pm snack that that was the ONLY time it was done :rolleyes:

While I know that there are some 'whacky' things done in centres to cut corners and in the name of 'making their day easy' if there are actually centres out there who would make a child sit in a solid diaper until the 'scheduled' diaper change .... well WOW cause you gotta love literal thinkers who lack common sense!

jec
08-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Today I was asked if the meat I used was kosher.. the family is not Jewish.
That is odd...did you ask why? :huh:
Does that meat have something to do with the way it is treated while alive and killed???
For myself, we buy local meats for that reason, the animals are not living in horrible confined spaces and or treated poor ~ and killed humainly. We do it for ethical reasons. Maybe that's why???

monkeymama
08-25-2012, 09:33 PM
I had a women ask me if we would be removing the "hazard" that is our stairs. She wasnt comfortable with her 18 month old going up and down stairs. I thought she was joking at first!

Inspired by Reggio
08-26-2012, 07:39 AM
I had a women ask me if we would be removing the "hazard" that is our stairs. She wasn't comfortable with her 18 month old going up and down stairs. I thought she was joking at first!

LMAO ~ she would not like it here than cause I teach them to master the stairs as soon as they can crawl ... I have 11 month olds who go up and down the stairs independently :o

apples and bananas
08-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Someone once asked me...

"How do you go to the bathroom? " To which I replied...

"how do YOU go to the bathroom?" LOL

monkeymama
08-26-2012, 01:59 PM
LMAO ~ she would not like it here than cause I teach them to master the stairs as soon as they can crawl ... I have 11 month olds who go up and down the stairs independently :o

Reggio, I just kinda of looked at her because I seriously thought it was a joke! She had all kinds of wierd phobias...didnt want her daughter to go down the slide, didnt want her running etc I cut that interview short pretty quick- no thank you!

Momof4
08-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Someone once asked me...

:laugh: Quick thinking!

ladyjbug
08-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Well, doing Elimination communication in group care would probably be the strangest, however, I have been asked if I would lay down and cosleep with their kid since they couldn't sleep alone (umm, what about the other kids I watch?!) and one family asked me to change my renovation schedule because it was more important to have a finished basement than an outdoor space since they didn't really want their daughter going outside. So all of those made me shake my head!

kidlove
08-27-2012, 06:35 AM
when I started, I had a Mom ask me how old I was (I was in my early twenties), as she looked me up and down!!!! I took her kid!!! how stupid was I? It's amazing the things you learn over the years. Her asking me that question made me feel uncomfortable, she was questioning my ability! If I could turn back time I wouldnt have told her how old I was but I would have figured I way to point out to her my children were three years older than her son.!!!!

Momof4
08-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Kidlove, I'm the opposite, a little older - Grandma! Only one time did a mother I was interviewing ask me all about my health. I just told her I'm a feisty old broad holding together a lot better than a lot of young women I know in this business. What a nerve! Um yeah, they are NOT a part of my daycare!

Dreamalittledream
08-27-2012, 01:45 PM
For me the strangest is when they don't have any (or hardly any) questions for me & are ready to sign?! Or the fact that NONE of my DCP'S have asked for references (I willingly offer to provide them), to view my First Aid/CPR certification or my Criminal Records Check.

Littledragon
08-27-2012, 01:50 PM
LOL that is good. I was once asked if I had any surgeries scheduled in the near future. When I asked why they wanted to know they said my recovery time would be an inconvience to them. I didn't give them a straight answer, finished the interview and did not accept them. I quess I must have looked like I was on the brink of some medical malfunction!!!!! BTW no surgeries have been scheduled:laugh:

hahahaha!! thats amazing!!

Littledragon
08-27-2012, 01:54 PM
For me the strangest is when they don't have any (or hardly any) questions for me & are ready to sign?! Or the fact that NONE of my DCP'S have asked for references (I willingly offer to provide them), to view my First Aid/CPR certification or my Criminal Records Check.

NONE of my families have asked for references, or CPR or First Aid, or Police Record. I always find it strange when people sign up on the spot. I don't know if it's an insecurity, but I always ask myself: "why would someone trust me with their child so quickly?" If it were me, I would have a nanny cam in my kids' bag at daycare lol I have had two families come for 15-20 minutes and signed up within 15 minutes of leaving. I guess I am just awesome like that

I don't think I have had any really strange questions. The only weird thing I had was just recently. There's a rocking chair in the main playroom, and mom sat down, took out a notebook and started asking me questions. I felt like I was at a job interview. And she wrote down my answers. I thought that that was really weird - just uncomfortable. But I don't think I've have any abnormal questions

Mamma_Mia
08-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Someone once asked me...

Dear Lord! I love that you had a quick response LOL

Mamma_Mia
08-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Or the fact that NONE of my DCP'S have asked for references (I willingly offer to provide them), to view my First Aid/CPR certification or my Criminal Records Check.

From all the interviews I've had only ONE has asked for references but never called them and no one has asked for my CPR.....

Mamma_Mia
08-28-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm weirded out by having 'strangers' on my 3rd floor where the bedrooms are. I understand that they want to make sure where their children sleep but it's MY family's PERSONAL space too...so I had said to the dad (who asked to see it) that the child will sleep in a playpen in her own room (I personally don't like to co-share and am lucky to have the room). Dad again said "I'd feel better if I could see where...." I then added that I wash the bedding every Friday and also on a as need in case of accidents of course plus the playpen is only 2yrs old. He still wanted to see where his daughter would be sleeping....so....

I went up and brought the playpen down stairs. THERE now you can SEE where she will be sleeping....they called back to my surprise but I was so miffed I said the position was filled.

kidlove
08-29-2012, 05:57 AM
oh mama mia, I wish I had a third floor, that would help all of our "personal space/family space" issues! We have a ranch style house, no getting away. :)

Dreamalittledream
08-29-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm weirded out by having 'strangers' on my 3rd floor where the bedrooms are.. I so get that! Me too. I do the same; everyone sleeps in 'their own' room. It's a pain to have the pack n plays in our bedrooms upstairs; but I do have 2 in our downstairs den & spare bedroom as well...so, when a parent asks where they will sleep I show them the lower rooms, as I tend to prefer the new ones in the lower rooms closer to the playroom anyway.

treeholm
08-29-2012, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE]I went up and brought the playpen down stairs. THERE now you can SEE where she will be sleeping../QUOTE]

Oh Mamma Mia, that just cracked me up!

treeholm
08-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Don't think I used the quotation marks properly, but I think you get the idea LOL