PDA

View Full Version : Starting Out - HELP!

katp
08-25-2012, 10:43 PM
I am just starting out with before and after school care. I want to make sure I cover every base, if possible. So I come to you to ask:

As a newbie, what information will I probably overlook putting in my contract and/or handbook that SHOULD NOT be omitted?

I have been browsing some other threads and it is clear you all know what you're doing. Any advice you could offer would be amazing! Thanks! :)

Inspired by Reggio
08-26-2012, 07:37 AM
My Contract includes the 'financial binding' end of things

Full legal name and birthdays of children it applies to
Parents legal names and home mailing Address
Who Income tax is to be issued to
Hours of Care being committed to both days and drop off and pick up times
Weekly Fee total ____________
Security Deposit amount followed by policy for non refundable or applied to proper notice period under certain conditions
Payment schedule weekly / biweekly / month in advance of care ... policy on payments re cheques or cash, late payment of fees , NSF charges and what will happen if clients repeatedly have NFS issues, additional charges that may apply if client uses more hours than committed to ~ aka late picking up their child at end of day, need to drop off earlier than contracted and so forth.
Program closure policies around stats, vacation, sick days, etc as well as policy around absences for 'clients' and which one are paid or not and any 'notice' required etc.
Parent handbook for service disclaimer that it was received, reviewed in detail and questions answered, and provider agrees to provide service as outlined within the handbook and client agrees to abide by all program polices and procedures contained within it to ensure provider has resources and support needed to provide proper service.
Termination notice required for ending contract or 'conditions' under which this contract can be terminated without notice by either party and that this contract is in place until another 'more recently dated one' replaces it.
signatures and dates of all parties

My Parent Handbook is provided 'electronically' via my members area of my website so I do not have to print it out every time and waste paper and contains the 'service' end of things ~ what they get for their fees paid and what is 'expected' of them in regards to supporting my ability to provide service ... this allows me to update and reword things regarding 'service' as long as it does not impact the 'financial' end of things without having to resign all my contracts ~ I just send out a memo that the 'handbook' has been updated to reflect A, B or C.

Mission Statement
Philosophy on Early Learning and Care
Hours of Operation / Standing Program Closure Dates / Provider Vacation & Personal Day policies
Registration and Orientation procedures / What to expect upon enrollment / First day checklist
Fee Payment polices (in greater detail / explanation than contract)
Tax Receipt policies
Withdrawal / Changes to Service / Termination of Contract (in greater detail / explanation than contract)
Custody Arrangements and Separated Parent protocols
Arrival and Departure protocols and expectations
Release to other parties other than parent/guardian procedures
Supervision protocol
Nutrition philosophy and meal time protocols
Physical Activity philosophy and Inclement Weather protocols
Washroom / Diapering / Toilet training protocols
Health & Safety in program (aka immunization protocols, illness and communicable disease protocols, emergency medical care protocols, medication at home or in care protocols, toothbrush program, cleaning of program space and materials in the environment, fire drills and evacuation plan, etc)
Behavior and Guidance protocols ~ code of conduct, grounds for termination in regards to behavior and so forth
Communication protocols for daily communication as well as 'conflict resolution'.
Confidentiality and storing of personal information protocols

Momof4
08-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Welcome katp. It doesn't have to be that difficult. My contract is 2 pages of legalities, then 6 pages of policies and I have a picture permission form, my website, receipt books for my payments and a log book for each child. I log the food the children eat, naptimes, and diaper changes so I can see patterns of what the children like and don't like to eat. Then I can see if there is a shift in the times they get sleepy and it makes it noticeable what time of the day the children have bowel movements so I'm ready when toilet training comes around.

Then I have a 2 page medical form that I carry in a waterproof pouch every where I go. I'd be happy to share my contract and website with you if you are interested. Some of the other ladies on this site have complimented me on the simplicity of my wording and the great pictures I have on the website. I believe the simpler the better and the less wording in your rules the easier it will be for the families to remember them.

Inspired by Reggio
08-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Yes guess I should have clarified that my contract and policy/procedure are likely more in depth than the average home childcare provider because I started out in the 'regulated' industry and therefore was required to have proactive policies for things that most providers hopefully never encounter or have things in there required by the Day Nursery Act .... it was just easier to have my 'private client handbook' as close to the agency model rules as possible so that all clients would be treated the same regardless if they were with the agency or privately through me ... and even though I am no longer with the agency I just prefer to keep things the same cause it would make it easy to 'flip back' should such a time arise that being regulated became more prudent for me again.

As a private provider that is one of the perks ~ you can keep your contract and polices as simple and flexible as you feel is your due diligence cause you only answer to yourself and your clients.

kidlove
08-27-2012, 06:30 AM
welcome! :) I also like to add a personal page to the back of my contracts asking questions about the child to help make their time with me as comfy as possible: what are their likes and dislikes, things that bother the child, things that make the child happy, favorite foods, least fave foods. give a brief description of the childs personality. favorite tv shows, movies. hobbies, snacks. whatever. I try to get to know they child before they come to me, that way once they are here (if older) we have somethings to talk about, or I will go out and purchase their fave snacks for first week, or make sure I have their favorite show for the first bit, just help them to feel more at home. especially works nice for the kid swith a more dif transition. :)

treeholm
08-27-2012, 07:15 AM
I went to a website called "the daycare lady" and found a ton of great forms. I used one called "all about me" or something like that. I edited it to suit my needs, put my logo on it, and print it out for the parent to do as "homework" and return with their contract and deposit cheque. It's quite extensive. If you google "daycare lady" I'm sure you'll find her. The forms are free. She must have several hundred of them; it did take me quite a while to look at them all.

Inspired by Reggio
08-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Love goes out to those who share support for FREE :)