PDA

View Full Version : Most useful course or workshop

admin
02-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Hi,

If you had to recommend one course or workshop you personally attended to another childcare provider what would it be? How did it affect your practices?

;)

daycaremom
02-09-2011, 11:21 AM
I have previously taken a free online course called "The Family Child Care Training". It is designed for family child care providers to help them gain an understanding of the business and learn to deal with different child care issues.

It consists of three levels, each level contains 12 units of study. Each unit is designed to equate to approximately 3 hours of class time. Each of the assignments for evaluation require an average of 2-4 hours of independent work. Completion of each level, with an evaluation component, would equate to approximately 60-80 hours of training.

There are probably different websites or organizations that you can register for this program. However, I the took the course through the following link:

http://thechildcareprovider connection.com/online.php

playfelt
02-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Our childcare support group here in Ottawa offers the course too but as meetings not online. www.ccprn.com

I have been doing some feltboard workshops for our support group and they offer quite a few. I like the workshops that give me something that makes my daycare go easier. I have attended a few that are the info kind only but definitely like the make and take kind where I have something to take home at the end of the workshop that I can use. That something new is like a spark that gets me excited to do programming again and is great motivation when I feel in a rut.

DianeDaycare
02-12-2011, 07:30 PM
In Halton we have taken the Family Child Care Training course that daycaremom mentioned. We have broken it into 3 levels. Level 1 is an introduction to home daycare which runs on 3 Saturdays. level 2 is a eight week evening course and Level 3 is a 7 week evening course. We have speakers come in to talk about child development and nutrition. If you want more information on the course goto www.thrc.ca click on professional development. i have been faciitataing the training for five years and I especially love doing Level one because the participants are so eager to learn. When designing the course we felt it was important that the participants got that networking that they dont get online. Lots of the providers have made new friends.

sharline
02-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know of any courses or workshops provided in the Mississauga Area that I can join? I've tried googling but no luck :( Any help or info would be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

Sarah A
06-16-2011, 04:59 PM
I have taken a few courses provided by ASCY in Hamilton which have been very informative. I also agree that the "make and take" workshops are the best because you leave with something that you can use in your daycare.
I am also part of a few networking groups in my area and have found them to be the best learning for me. Talking with other providers in my area who have been providing care or 5,10, 15 and evening 20 years. They have some great ideas about every aspect of your daycare. Highly recommended!!!