PDA

View Full Version : How would you respond?

monkeymama
09-04-2012, 08:30 AM
So I recently terminated (for the first time ever) DCP who were not following my contract (constant lateness, non payment etc.) I contacted a mom who had emailed me a month back inquiring about any openings. I didnt have any at the time and said I would be in touch if anything opened up. Weve sent a few emails back and forth and she has asked me why I suddenly have an opening. I dont really know how to respond in a professional manner without speaking too negatively about the other family but still come out looking well myself...any suggestions??

Momof4
09-04-2012, 08:35 AM
I would respond with something like this: Dear .........., I am pleased to inform you that a space has become available in my daycare and I am interested in setting up an interview at your earliest convenience. Surprises do happen in my business that cannot be predicted and I hope you will contact me so that we may speak more about your family and your daycare needs and arrange a meeting.

You don't have to explain a thing about the other family or tell anyone about how and why you decide to run your business. Each family is expected to abide by their contract and privacy issues keep you from telling one family about another. Use that as your reasoning if they ask any questions.

Littledragon
09-04-2012, 09:05 AM
I agree with momof4. But I know that it can be scarry for a mom looking for care when a space has suddenly opened up. I would find myself wondering why it's so quickly happened and so on. I honestly don't know what I would say. Maybe just the same type of thing as momof4. Surprises happen, and I wasn't able to care for that family any longer. Or, come up with a reason why mom suddenly left. One of my kids is leaving cause his mom is going back to Asia and the other is going part time because his mom is having a baby.

playfelt
09-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Just as we are skeptical of a child that suddenly needs care and is coming from another daycare provider it is very normal for the parent to be concerned as to why there is suddenly an opening. Without giving too much information you will need to set their fears aside by giving them something to go on. A simple statement like one of my families had a change in circumstances and no longer needs my care is enough. Details don't matter. But unless you give this parent assurance that you were not the problem you likely won't get them to interview. Why would you interview with someone where a family had pulled their child out. Sometimes what we don't say can do more harm to our business then by saying only part of the truth.

kidlove
09-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Would def tell her the truth (with respect toward the family that you terminated, no names, no neg talk, just state the truth) this is a chance for you to set a "standard" of what you expect for a potential "new" client. Hay, maybe they are late payers and you can nip in the bud early or...if they know there could be an issue because THEY are late pickups, perhaps by letting them know you obviously "dont tolerate" it....you may save another headache of taking them on. Either way, I think it would just set a solid example of Who you are, and What you expect from a potential parent. I believe there is NEVER anything wrong with telling the truth. Just keep it professional. :)

Crayola kiddies
09-04-2012, 09:40 AM
I agree with Playfelt .... A simple " the families circumstances have changed and they no longer require care, I'll sure miss them but that's the nature of daycare".

kidlove
09-04-2012, 09:57 AM
I always make sure, no mater what the reason for the family leaving, they always know how much I cared for the child. :)

monkeymama
09-04-2012, 12:07 PM
thanks all! I did end up saying that circumstances had changed and I was no longer able to provide care for them. She seemed satisfied with that. This being my first termination, I dont want to bad mouth my DCP but the blame was definitly not on me and I wanted future parents to be aware of that. Thanks for all the suggestions!

apples and bananas
09-04-2012, 12:17 PM
I had this exact situation happen. I had a space, then filled it with someone who needed care earlier so I didn't have the space then I terminated and contacted the client again and offered the space. It was a genuine concern for them... parents want consistency. I explained to them honestly that I terminated my relationship with the client. They asked why and I was honest... they showed time and time again that they had little respect for my business. They were also late too many times and it effected the way the business ran. I think it tells people that I don't take lates, and I don't put up with disrespect.... I've terminated before and I'll do it again if I have to.

This is me... take me or leave me.

kidlove
09-05-2012, 08:53 AM
apples and bananas: "open and honest" always the best policy!!!!! :)