PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you didn't do daycare anymore?

samantha3
09-04-2012, 09:39 AM
I am just curious as to what everyone would do if they did not do daycare in their home anymore?

I am feeling the burnout lately and also wondering, how long will you do this for? I cannot picture myself doing this in twenty years, what is your back up plan?

Crayola kiddies
09-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Funny my husband and I were just discussing this on the weekend ..... He seems to have it in his head that I am going to do this for another 20 years ... I'm having him commited this afternoon ; ). I will probably do this for another 10 years (assuming the government doesn't screw it up and make it impossible to carry on as we are) but I can't see me doing this till I'm 65. :0 . Just want to put a serious dent in my mortgage. If I wasnt doing this sad to say I would just be sitting at home as a minimum wage job just doesn't make it worth while when having to pay daycare.

kidlove
09-04-2012, 09:55 AM
I've never thought of doing anything else, just love being around kids so much, my only changes in my job would be to have the Day Care OUT of my home. my husband and I are always looking for another home (cheap) to purchase, to run the day care from. (monday through friday there) weekends at home...in peace!! when I am old I will do this...well not too old! :) until retirement though, our plan is to use the house we purchase as a retirement investment. wish us luck!!

mimi
09-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Since I have worked in several very different fields and loved doing each one, I am very happy to be where I am. I don't have the wunderlust some have since I have been there and done that. I enjoy being my own boss and not having to put up with difficult bosses and co-workers though some parents due run a close second to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And of course, I get to care for some great little people who (usually) put a smile on my face.

Momof4
09-04-2012, 12:40 PM
I worked at a bank, at an insurance company, went back to college, worked at a medical lab, then opened my daycare for my grandson and so that I could be self-employed and never have to work for others again. So I sincerely appreciate this field and love it.

My grandson went off to JK last year and I wasn't happy for several months, but I've adjusted and realize now that I'm good at this and it's a good way to earn a living. I get to spend my mornings at the library and the park walking around instead of being stuck at a desk listening to co-workers bitch about how much they hate the company. And I get hugs and kisses and hear the funniest stories from these little people. My commute is great and I love being at home.

GymMom
09-04-2012, 06:36 PM
I worked as an educational assistant and LOVED it but the money is not so good. My long-term plan is to run my dayhome until my youngest is done grade 6 (she's in grade 3 now) and then go to school to get a Unit Clerk certificate. Since today is my first day running my dayhome, it's hard to say whether 4 years is realistic, but that's the plan for now! :)

dodge__driver11
09-04-2012, 11:10 PM
I am working on my msters starting in January, gonna be a long road as I still have 2 years to go for my degree first. I am going to do daycare until my son is old enough to "be alone" around 14 or so, then go back to the workforce, so I got at least 10 years LOL.

Errbear
09-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I started to feel burn out about 8 months ago. The mothers I interviewed seemed to be telling me what they thought I wanted to hear instead of the truth so I was learning that our parenting styles, discipline techniques, and pretty much everything else were polar opposites. It made me dread opening my door every day

One in particular would blow sunshine up my butt to my face and then go home and jump on the local forum here and slam me to whomever would listen....Like I wouldn't know it was me she was talking about. She was a total Sybil. Her daughter was a sassy little slugger when she started with me, but of course it was everyone else's fault why her daughter was a bully. She also thought her little girl was more advanced then she really was, when in reality she was just a mean little girl with a sassy attitude and mean ability to ignore rules and consequences. Somehow that was my fault. The day she told me her little girl was going to a centre was the also the day she was going to be term'd by me so it totally worked out. I've kept my one part timer and will have his sister when she turns one next year, but it's only 3 days a week. No more burn out

I became a ZumbaŽ Fitness instructor part time last year and added other specialties like kids classes earlier this year. I'm still self employed(and loving it) and I still get to work with kids(and loving it more than daycare) and I have more time to devote to just my own kids and to building my new business.