PDA

View Full Version : What type of snacks do you provide?

Jtlt
09-04-2012, 10:18 AM
This is the first time ever I had a mom compain to me about my snacks I provide to the kids. She doesn't want me to feed her 1 year old baby mum mums, graduate puffs or goldfish. She told me I feed the kids too much mum mums, graduate puffs, goldfish and fruits.

I provide a wide varieties of snacks depending on the age and if is age appropriate and most of the snacks are homemade. When parents registered they filled out the the food questionnaire they all said their kids loved goldfish, and other snacks and now she doesn't like it.

What do you feed your daycare kids?

kidlove
09-04-2012, 10:30 AM
We eat a TON of fruit for snack, little milk and sometimes we have crackers of various kinds. I do have a habit of getting in a rut with the foods I serve. although the kids dont complain alot, I do try to change it up by asking the parents to sign up for snack once every month. I dont care what they provide it just has to be healthy. maybe you should do that so this Mom can have "more say" every once in a while!!! or learn to shut up! ha ha Just kidding. have you asked her what she wants her child to eat? does she think its too much carbs? whats her deal? I stick with less expensive options and healthy...apples sliced or diced for little ones, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, cheese and crackers.

Jtlt
09-04-2012, 11:14 AM
We eat a TON of fruit for snack, little milk and sometimes we have crackers of various kinds. I do have a habit of getting in a rut with the foods I serve. although the kids dont complain alot, I do try to change it up by asking the parents to sign up for snack once every month. I dont care what they provide it just has to be healthy. maybe you should do that so this Mom can have "more say" every once in a while!!! or learn to shut up! ha ha Just kidding. have you asked her what she wants her child to eat? does she think its too much carbs? whats her deal? I stick with less expensive options and healthy...apples sliced or diced for little ones, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, cheese and crackers.

I think the parents signing up for snack time once a month is a wonderful idea. Thank you for that. I am going to talk to her tonight and see what see says about what she wants her daughter to eat. I agree with you less expensive healthy options, that's what I do. I never given the kids cherry tomatoes though, I think I should try that. I feed the kids fruits snacks at every snack time and add abit of dry snacks as well for the kids.

This parent has given me a hard time from day one, she has been her for a month now and I cannot deal with her much longer.

kidlove
09-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Sounds like you may be dealing with a "controlling" Mommy! I say, pick one and stick with it, either raise your kid yourself OR sit back and "allow" the person you chose, to "raise" your child from 9-5. thats the parents choice....they cant raise their child from work. ARG! controlling Moms drive me up the wall!!!!

kidlove
09-04-2012, 11:18 AM
I have cherry tomatoes growing out my behind right now, currently have bags and bags at the end of my driveway for sale, I cant feed them fast enough.. ha ha ha :laugh::laugh: Too bad you dont live closer I would send you some "free of charge" :)

Toregone
09-04-2012, 11:36 AM
I once had a mom complain that I served the children too much fruit. She preferred I serve her son some crackers at snack time rather than fresh fruit like the other children were eating.

Meanwhile I can tell she feeds him spaghetti or something tomato based every night for supper... poor kid had the most acidic poops. But it was my fault for serving fruit...

apples and bananas
09-04-2012, 12:01 PM
I have to admit... I fall into the fishy cracker rut once in a while, but I always serve with fruit. Mostly fruit... crackers... cheese... applesause... raison toast... banana bread or other homemade mini muffins. The bigger kids get frozen yogurt tubes in the summer sometimes.

I don't buy the special things like mum mums... I find them too costly for the one child I have that will eat them.

Momof4
09-04-2012, 12:24 PM
I serve 2 things in the morning, all the food groups at lunch and 2 things for snack, usually yogurt or cheese with a croissant or pretzels or crackers or fruit of all kinds or veggie strips.

Lou
09-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Today's AM snack was fresh cut mango and pineapple with cheese, and PM snack will be oatmeal cookies and craisins :)

monkeymama
09-04-2012, 01:09 PM
This is the first time ever I had a mom compain to me about my snacks I provide to the kids. She doesn't want me to feed her 1 year old baby mum mums, graduate puffs or goldfish. She told me I feed the kids too much mum mums, graduate puffs, goldfish and fruits.

I provide a wide varieties of snacks depending on the age and if is age appropriate and most of the snacks are homemade. When parents registered they filled out the the food questionnaire they all said their kids loved goldfish, and other snacks and now she doesn't like it.

What do you feed your daycare kids?

I serve pretty much the same as the PP....did mom say what she wants you to serve instead?? seems very strange to me. Ive never had anyone question what I serve, most of my DCP dont even ask lol because they knows its healthy, usually home made and covers all the food groups. Id be asking for examples of what she deems an appropriate snack so you can figure out where she is coming from.

KingstonMom
09-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Today we had banana bread and apples that a parent had brought for us as a treat :) LOVE when they do that! So nice!

Afternoon snack we will probably have deli ham, cheese and a couple ritz crackers.

I try to stay away from the Goldfish, when I have them in teh house, its all my 2yo son wants!! Same goes for juice, which I now have to hide in the house!

So milk and water to drink everyday here. Other typical snacks we serve:
blueberries or strawberries, graham crackers, yogurt, apple sauce, cheese, crackers, pb on toast, raisen bread, bagle w cream cheese or butter, cucumber slices, carrot sticks, pear or apple slices, watermelon or pineapple. I serve hardly anything twice in the same week we have so many options.

Mind you, most of my kids are 2yo, so these are all options for them.
I have a 10 month old and a 14 month old who would just need these things cut up tinier, but they are able to eat all of these choices. I find the mum mums are pricey, and honestly are empty of nutrients, so its just a filler food I think.

Sandbox Sally
09-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I usually do a grain, a dairy and a fruit/veg (or both). Nothing wrong with fruit and goldfish, or fruit and mum mum. Mom's cracked, IMO.

Ask her what she feeds the kid.

Sandbox Sally
09-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Wait...what's wrong with goldfish? I serve the whole grain or pretzel kind. IMO, they're better than a lot of cracker/breads on the market as far as overall junk content.

crafty
09-04-2012, 02:03 PM
I serve the same thing, cheese and crackers, fruit, toast, apple sauce, cereal, my own garden veggies with some dip, hummus and pita bread, homemade tortillas chips with some salsa (sometimes fruit salsa), banana bread, muffins, oatmeal cookies and sometimes we make our own rice crispies or bread or anything I have planned as a culinairy activity. That's usually reserve on a special Friday. I see nothing wrong with what you are serving. I would simply tell the parent that she is allowed to provide anything she feels her child may need if she is not ok with the menu or do not think it will suffice. Provided she checks with me to ensure there are no allergie concerns in the daycare.

Jtlt
09-04-2012, 02:30 PM
I have cherry tomatoes growing out my behind right now, currently have bags and bags at the end of my driveway for sale, I cant feed them fast enough.. ha ha ha :laugh::laugh: Too bad you dont live closer I would send you some "free of charge" :)

Where do you live maybe we can arrange something :laugh::laugh::laugh :

kidlove
09-05-2012, 08:33 AM
toregone, give that kid some cheese with his fruit or banana, those help bind. :) ha ha dont you hate it when the day care get s the blame? my kid said a bad word, must be the day care! my kid has the sh***! must be the day care. My kid stayed up late, must be the day care!!! my kids and idiot, must be the day care!!! :)

kidlove
09-05-2012, 08:34 AM
jtlt: was thinking of a way to float them to you across the waters from the US, or maybe a refridgerated balloon drop!!!!!!!!! :)

kidlove
09-05-2012, 08:41 AM
hay jtlt: you want to know how to keep her quiet? (sorry but sounds like she has control issues) just inform her that if she is not happy with what is provided she is more than welcome to pack his lunch and snacks EVERY DAY from now on! that way there will be no more concerns re:the quality of foods you provide. can almost gaurentee she will "back track" right quick.....wants to complain about your service but almost a fact, she doesnt want to replace it with her own efforts. :) :)

Inspired by Reggio
09-05-2012, 01:13 PM
My crew menu plans with me and morning snacks .... fresh fruit / veggie is served with every snack and than either a protein or a grain.

These are a few of the kids top picks

Mexican Pinwheel Wraps
Homemade Cookies …. Oatmeal raisin, PB, Ginger snap Cookies, Hermits, Macaroons,
Cheese, Fish Crackers & Craisins and fruit
Pita triangles & Pate & Grapes
Crackers, Cheese and fruit
Fruit kabobs and yogurt dip
Devilled Eggs and fruit
Mini muffins … cranberry lemon, Zucchini carrot, Banana Chocolate chip, Cherry Oatmeal surprise
Mini cheesecakes …. Graham wafer and flavoured cream cheese with raspberries stuck on top
Rice Crisp Squares and agave and fruit puree in them instead of marshmallows
Mini Ice- cream Cones with banana sliced into cone
Vanilla pudding and mandarin oranges
Homemade Bits and Bites with Craisins
P&B crackers and fruit
Ants on a log (celery, peanut butter or cream cheese, raisins and chocolate chips)
Veggies and various Dip
Pita and hummus
Pretzels and spinach dip
Peanut butter banana dogs (mini dinner rolls made to look like a hotdog)
Nachos with salsa
Popcorn

Because I too want some so I also bought a little 'fish' cookie cutter that we use some of these gluten free recipes to make this for our goldfish cause the store bought ones are not an option for me to share...here is the link.

http://www.adventuresofaglu tenfreemom.com/2011/12/reconstructing-goldfish-crackers-gluten-free-style/#

I do serve the store bought ones on occasion but no the traditional brand of 'goldfish' but rather the ones called Annie's Organics these are more for a treat and in the summer when I do not always want my oven on cause it is too hot :o

Mamma_Mia
09-05-2012, 01:23 PM
my kids and idiot, must be the day care!!! :)

:laugh: :laugh: aint that the truth....WE get blamed for it all when its THEM who "mess" the kids up 95% of the time

WAHM
09-13-2012, 11:26 AM
If they do not like the snacks provided, they are welcome to provide their own for their child. I agree with her, that the kids shouldn't only eat packaged, processed foods (also gets expensive) so try throwing in some veggies, fruit, cheese and crackers etc. as well. We serve: rice cakes with jam, cheese & crackers, orange slices, yogurt, cucumber/carrots/celery with dip etc.

fruitloop
09-13-2012, 03:45 PM
I serve things like organic cheddar or honey bunnies (they have less crap in them than Goldfish), cheese, organic yogurts, fruit, homemade muffins, organic oatmeal baby type cookies, bagels, toast with pb, organic cereals (dry), organic cereal bars, veggies, waffle strips with pb, um...there is probably more that I can't think of. I try to serve a lot of organic type foods so my food costs are quite high.

Momof4
09-13-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm the same as fruitloop, serving a lot of organic food. I was just thinking that serving fruit 3 times a day at every meal is about to be a thing of the past. I do that while the fruit prices are lower all summer, but in the winter the cost is prohibitive on some things so I cut down a bit.

I wouldn't cut down on fruit or serve a special menu unless the family was sending in the food as in the case of my lactose-intolerant boy. The parents send the milk and cheese weekly for him. Unless there was a medical problem with the child or you served a ton of pre-packaged unhealthy food, nobody should be able to dictate how you run your daycare.

bright sparks
09-17-2012, 08:55 AM
I serve veggies and hummus,fruit and dip, yogurt, home made banana breads, muffins and cookies that wya they arent full of artificial junk. Fresh fruit is served at least twice a day, after lunch as desert and along side one of the snacks. I also make fruit posicles in the summer. Pineapples, pickles and pickled onions with some plain tops is another quick snack(very english :)) I also make a big batch of apple cinnamon pancakes and freeze them. Then I simply take as many as I need out of the freezer and pop them in the toaster. Super easy and a favourite in my house.

cfred
09-17-2012, 09:38 AM
I used to work in a daycare centre and use some of those ideas for my snacks now. Some of the best are (I'm not peanut free) in addition to some of my own:

* Apple wedges with peanut butter (or peanut butter mixed with honey for dipping - almond butter would probably be fine too)
* Mixed fruit chunks with yogourt for dipping
* Home made yogourt popsicles - these are fantastic and can layer them for patterns!
* Graham crackers with jam
* Digestive cookie ice cream sandwiches (can make with any ice cream or frozen yogourt - just takes small amount....HUGE treat!)
* Bread sticks with ranch or cream cheese dip
* Funny face sandwiches (or crackers) - spread cream cheese on round crackers or bread, have small items for kids to make faces or make yourself with (alf alfa, olive slices, banana slices, shredded carrot.....whatever. ...try to keep it cheap)
* Watermelon is ALWAYS a big hit!
* Now sometimes we do crackers with dips such as hummus, babaganoush or something really different they've never had before....makes it adventurous for older kids.
* Impossible Quiche is super cheap and super easy (5 mins and a blender). Leftover's can be served as cold snack.
* deviled eggs
* Mini muffins (or half regular) - make up ahead and freeze - 30 secs in micro and snack is on

Kids aren't fussy about what is snack food and what isn't. I'll also bet that mother wouldn't pitch a fit over snack if maybe a little fruit was served with the mum mums and fishies. She probably just wants more balance....I'm betting it's her first child too? She's not tired enough to keep snacks simple yet :)

Now that I have home care, I typically have some plants the kids can get their snack directly from in the warmer months - raspberries and tomatoes this year. Parents always seemed impressed when they show up to find us sharing a bowl of what we've just harvested.

Good luck!

diapermaven
09-18-2012, 06:57 PM
I used to work in a daycare centre and use some of those ideas for my snacks now. Some of the best are (I'm not peanut free) in addition to some of my own:

* Apple wedges with peanut butter (or peanut butter mixed with honey for dipping - almond butter would probably be fine too)

That sounds delicious and nutritious. I think I will add that one to my menu. It's very hard to accomodate all the different dietary demands nowadays, but for anyone that isn't peanut free I think this snack is a winner.

I have done the same with a small backyard garden, (rasberries, cherry tomatoes, mulberries and ground cherries) and it never fails to impress parents.

MeMe
10-02-2012, 11:40 AM
I got alot of my ideas from the posters here so some have already been mentioned. I also have school age kids so they take turns picking snacks. This week we have:

PB and Jam sandwiches with grapes
Cheese, crackers and kelbasa with apple slices
Mixed veggies and dip
Vanilla pudding and raspberries
Lemon poppyseed muffins and fruit

mimi
10-02-2012, 06:57 PM
in one day the am and pm snacks will include a yogurt/minigo, mini muffin of different varieties, a fruit for each snack, pita bread with spread hummus/cream cheese/jam, raisins/fishycrackers/saltless pretzels I would also ask what she might suggest. I also have never had a parent comment on what I serve as I know most are regulars at fast food outlets. Oh wait, I just thought of one parent who said she knew he ate so well here that she didn't feel guilty feeding him junk for dinner :unsure:

SummerLuvin
10-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Wow, I'm impressed by all you ladies.....for me a snack is something small to hold you over 'till the next meal, so A piece of fruit. Like a banana, or an apple, pear etc.......That's it. Is that too little? Some of the pp included multiple items in a snack...maybe I need to revisit my menu.....

playfelt
10-03-2012, 08:03 AM
When I include multiple items it also means less of each item so half a banana and 2 crackers compared to a whole banana and a handful of crackers. Yes the snack is just to take the edge off the hunger not take it totally away - I want lunch to do that. Mostly for me snack is about getting a drink as they play hard and need it. So it is a drink and a little something to go with it. It is also about snack not taking a large block of time since we have so little in the morning and don't want to waste it all sitting in the kitchen eating.

bright sparks
10-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Wow, I'm impressed by all you ladies.....for me a snack is something small to hold you over 'till the next meal, so A piece of fruit. Like a banana, or an apple, pear etc.......That's it. Is that too little? Some of the pp included multiple items in a snack...maybe I need to revisit my menu.....

I think you do what works for you and the children you care for SummerLuvin. I find that snack time can really back fire and lunchtime comes around and they dont eat as much, if any. I also hear that people give a protein at snack times???? Not sure why. The only thing I can think of as to the large snacks people give is that they are following the Canada Food Guide. I do not follow the guide as IMO and through research, the guide is not good. 8 portions of whole grains a day!!! Are you kidding me, thats 8 slices of bread/pasta/rice.... I make sure that the snack isnt to big at all and just tides the little ones over until lunch time. I have an early lunch at 11/11:15 so morning snack is small and then afternoon snack is much more substantial as they likely wont have anything for about 3 hours after that snack.

happyheart
10-10-2012, 08:27 AM
toregone, give that kid some cheese with his fruit or banana, those help bind. :) ha ha dont you hate it when the day care get s the blame? my kid said a bad word, must be the day care! my kid has the sh***! must be the day care. My kid stayed up late, must be the day care!!! my kids and idiot, must be the day care!!! :)
Totally agree!!!!!!

Inspired by Reggio
10-10-2012, 02:19 PM
.... The only thing I can think of as to the large snacks people give is that they are following the Canada Food Guide. I do not follow the guide as IMO and through research, the guide is not good. 8 portions of whole grains a day!!! Are you kidding me, thats 8 slices of bread/pasta/rice..

I agree that Canada's Food Guide is not necessarily best because the research used to make it is tainted by the funding coming from the agriculture industry that produces A LOT OF GRAIN not to mention that our governments themselves are biased to support grain because they subsidized the grain farmers greatly ~ however wanted to share that the guide varies dependent on if you are serving children and/or adults so what you've stated above is incorrect for CHILDREN .... grain servings for a child between 2-3 years if only 3 servings a day not the 8 you mentioned .... 8 is the recommended servings for an adult male ... females are only recommended 6 servings .... also be wary of what a 'serving' actually is according to Canada's Food Guide because that too is deceiving between what WE think if as a serving and what is an actually 'healthy serving' .... because technically a serving of grain for an adult is 1/2 a bagel, 1/2 a pita, 1/2 a tortilla shell and 1 slice of bread and most people eat the WHOLE bagel, pita, tortilla shell or 2 slices of bread and count that as ONE serving .... plus a rice serving is a 1/4 cup and a pasta is 1/2 cup COOKED so IME most adults would consume their 4-6 servings of grain in a sitting if that is what is being served .... suggested servings sizes for children are even smaller I know my daycare crew will eat more than a cup of cooked pasta each at a sitting and they are kids and they only 'need' 3 servings so that would be their grain in a day easy ~ so even though I do not agree that adults need as much grain as indicated .... based on what Canada's Food Guide suggests that children 'need' I have no issues in meeting the children's recommended daily does of grain cause 3 is a piece of cake and I do not even serve 'grain' at each snack/meal cause I am one of those more inclined to serve a fruit and protein ;)

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/basics-base/quantit-eng.php

...I also hear that people give a protein at snack times???? ....

This is a tip learned from anyone who suffers from diabetes or glucose intolerance. A protein when given at snacks helps keep ones glucose levels steady between eating because protein is more slowly digested it helps to keep the 'carbs' in other foods being digested along side it burning steadily/evenly rather than quickly which than causes that sudden 'drop' in blood sugar between meals that makes one feel fatigued/irritable ... this is specially important for children as dips in blood sugar can cause impulse control issues and moodiness issues which are already a challenge for most toddlers to master so helping to ensure you have a consistent blood sugar for them will minimize those 'tantrums' they are prone to ;)

So for example if I were to eat an apple at 3 pm by 4:30 my glucose would be LOW on me but if I do something as simple as eat a tbsp of peanut butter with that same apple my levels will stay steady right until supper time at 6 pm.

Momof4
10-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Remember that the Canada Food guide recommends all those servings, but for instance a whole bagel is 4 grain servings. Check the size of the servings. I serve 2 things at breakfast, all the food groups at lunch and 2 things at snacktime. It usually works out to 3 fruit servings per day, 3 bread servings per day, 1-2 protein servings and 2-3 veggie servings per day.