PDA

View Full Version : Magnet wall=awesome!!

Dreamalittledream
09-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Here's a link to my weekend project.....sooo easy! Best part...it occupied my 3 under 2 DCKs most of the day yesterday (& was a fantastic backdrop for my felt stories!!) I happened to get all of my materials for free (leftover from a house project) & was ecstatic to finally have a use for the oodles of magnets I have horded/inherited over the years....
http://ohhappyday.com/2012/08/magnet-wall-diy/

Yarnlover
09-05-2012, 09:42 AM
That's really cool. My kids love magnets too. I have a magnet board I purchased from ikea that my kids love to play with, smaller in scale but still great. I also painted a large chalk board in our playroom but that was a big mistake, my kids (all 2 and under) don't get that you can write on some things and not others! Big blue chalk marks on my brand new carpet taught me that lesson quick. Also the chalk dust is pretty bad on the carpet even when used correctly.

kidlove
09-05-2012, 09:52 AM
i also purchased a magnetic strip you can put on the wall and display the kids art work from ikea. I use it under an empty space on our counters that faces toward the dining room and parents can see from the front door, we call it the "art wall" my kids and the day care kids hang their art their (from school/day care) to share for all to see! super cute, I love ikea! very creative store. artsy fartsy!!! ;)

Momof4
09-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Awesome! What a great idea. Just don't set your laptop down beside that manetic wall and wipe out your hard drive.

sunnydays
09-05-2012, 12:06 PM
I love it! I just moved and now have a huge daycare space that I am working on setting up...this would be awesome! Much much better than letters on the fridge! Now to find some sheet metal....

mimi
09-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Quess what my hubby's making this weekend?! :thumbsup:

Dreamalittledream
09-05-2012, 12:30 PM
i also purchased a magnetic strip you can put on the wall and display the kids art work from ikea. I use it under an empty space on our counters that faces toward the dining room and parents can see from the front door, we call it the "art wall" my kids and the day care kids hang their art their (from school/day care) to share for all to see! super cute, I love ikea! very creative store. artsy fartsy!!! ;). Great idea!! What better excuse for a trip to Ikea..... Visa Bill I am apologizing now.

Inspired by Reggio
09-05-2012, 01:19 PM
That is an awesome idea wish I had big wall available like that and wee children of my own still so my spouse would be on board with something like that being permanent!

I am like Yarnlover and bought a large magnet wipe off board and one side is the magnetic wipe off and the other I glued felt too so that it can serve three purposes in their play depending on which side is placed outward and what I set out in the environment or what they choose from the shelves ... sadly I have a tiny space and have to always choose carefully what I place in it has lots of varied uses so that it does not look 'crowded' but provides them with many options ... plus since my spouse does not want anything on my walls ~ mine is not attached and can be tucked behind the couch out of site when not in use ;)

Momof4
09-05-2012, 06:26 PM
At the downtown library in my city they have an old fridge door mounted on their wall and that's where they have their magnetic letters. It makes me giggle every time. But there's another idea for you.

Dreamalittledream
09-05-2012, 08:12 PM
At the downtown library in my city they have an old fridge door mounted on their wall and that's where they have their magnetic letters. It makes me giggle every time. But there's another idea for you.. Love that idea!!! Repurposing something that would be otherwise just sitting in a waste heap somewhere & using it with whimsy:)

sunnydays
09-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Do you find that the toddlers swipe the magnets onto the floor? I find they do that with the ones I have on the fridge, but I'm wondering if the sheet metal would help the magnets stick on better and they wouldn't be able to do this so much? Before I give myself a headache, I want to hear your experiences!

Dreamalittledream
09-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Do you find that the toddlers swipe the magnets onto the floor? I find they do that with the ones I have on the fridge, but I'm wondering if the sheet metal would help the magnets stick on better and they wouldn't be able to do this so much? Before I give myself a headache, I want to hear your experiences!
Actually, I don't find that they swipe them off at all (my age group is 1 year up to 3). I've taped some magnet scenes on (from the dollar store...roads, a wooded scene and an ocean underwater world) & find they race the magnet cars along, put animals into the woods scene etc. I have a storage bin in front of it & the top drawer of it is full of magnets....so they chose which magnets they want to play with & when they are done, they place their magnets back in the drawer. This way, a little one isn't coming along, seeing a whole wack of magnets & just swiping them to the floor. Hope that helps:). Oh and it does seem to have a bit firmer hold with the sheet metal...I just tested it comparing to my fridge;)

playfelt
09-07-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a 72" tall and 36" wide metal storage cabinet in my playroom and the magnets go on there. I keep them at the top out of reach and they must ask for them. Mostly they are a set of farm animals and dinosaurs I got at a garage sale - think they are a melissa and doug product actually. I have the letters and other smaller items in a bin on the cupboard that come out when the older ones ask and are then put away when done so the little ones dont't have continuous access.

somybuck
09-12-2012, 02:29 AM
. Great idea!! What better excuse for a trip to Ikea..... Visa Bill I am apologizing now.

lainey76
09-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Also on pintrest

http://pinterest.com/pin/222013456601640049/

Dreamalittledream
09-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Also on pintrest

http://pinterest.com/pin/222013456601640049/ Wow! Love!!!

sunnydays
09-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks Lainey!!! This looks even easier and safer as there are no sharp edges to deal with :) Guess who is going to Wal-Mart this weekend :woot:

sunnydays
09-12-2012, 12:09 PM
I love the fairy rings for dancing too! Oh no...it's happened...I am going to have to join Pinterest...I was resisting because I already spend too much time on my computer during naptime...if I disappear from the forum you will know where I am :laugh:

kidlove
09-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Oh Man! now I wish even more I had my own Day Care space so I could do something like that "the fridge door" that sounds too cute! could just picture it, AND I know where I could get the door...now I just need the separate Day Care...dont know where I could get one of those. :(

kidlove
09-12-2012, 12:24 PM
I also have a set of (all dif shapes and sizes) black frames on my dining room wall that we use for the kids art, anytime they bring home a beautiful brightly colored gem from school it gets put in the frame on (my kids) art wall!!!! To me, it is the best art in the world, and the cool thing is, it changes all the time...never the same thing for too long. (plus as the seasons change, kids usually do "like" artwork-so at Christmas time and Valentines and such I have the most fitting wall displays) makes the kids so proud to have their art displayed like that. I would have been thrilled to have mine up as a child. :)

kidlove
09-12-2012, 12:28 PM
dreamalittledream: dont worry, so cheap, it's like cushion change, or bottom of purse change...like a couple bucks a piece. :)