PDA

View Full Version : Need some input!!!!

kidlove
09-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Long story short: (i think) :)
I have a family I have provided care for for almost 3 years, they have one child a girl about 4 and another on the way. (will have new baby by the new year) These people a REALLY nice and we have become "good friends" however...the father is the drop off and pick up and he works all different shifts (one day 11-7 the next day 7:30-4) They are supposed to get the schedule to me every two weeks in advance, so I know when their child will be coming and going!!! THEY DONT! i almost never know when they will drop off or WHO will pick up (random people because Dad often works until after I close) I have tried over the years various things, late fees, asking asking asking for on time schedules, reminding of "safety issues" with random people picking up. these people having given me time and time again reasons to terminate....I have let them go this far, I feel like I am way too deep to let them go, also they pay on time, and I do enjoy them and their child. Dont want to let them go, however.....DO want them to start following my RULES. Its just respectful. Tired of the stress it causes, and I have ALWAYS been honest with how I feel, I tell them its dif to manage the house when I dont know all sched's and let them know I miss appt because they are late for pick up, their child comes with wart on foot and no sock to cover, she is the one through the door with "crappy" breakfast in hand. So many reasons to get stressed, it seems the more I talk to the Mom, the more she "agrees" with what I say, but they go back to the same ways. Maybe I just need to start tacking on "extra fees" and add to contracts "uncommunacated drop off fees" or something. AHHHH! what do I do when this includes an infant, just told the Mom today, I find this stressful and "honestly not sure what it will be like once an infant is added to the chaos?" what would you do? (maybe besides terminate?):unsure:: unsure:

Play and Learn
09-05-2012, 10:40 AM
I would personally terminate.

But...if you want to give them another chance, redo your manual/contract, and have them sign every page. Tell them that you're going to start enforcing these rules, as they are affecting your own family time. Have a 3-strikes and you're out policy - PM me if you'd like help with that.

kidlove
09-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I was thinking of asking the parents to have a set drop off and pickup every day, that would def help out with the inconsistency of the current sched and I really think I will help once the new abby comes, sometimes with babies the only thing you have is a consistent schedule, this this and this at the same time every day. that is one of my fears having the new baby and the dad having such an eratic (sp) schedule. And I do also think it is time to bring out the contracts AGAIN for all, its seems a good idea to update or just re-instate already said rules every year or so. ALOT of my parents seemed to get a little laxed or "forgetful" sometimes, guess it doesnt hurt for a "gentle reminder" every now and then.

mimi
09-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I am trying to find the part where you can "enjoy" them! What a hassle for you and I understand how you got there since I've been there myself. These people are a nusance. They don't "hear" you when you talk to them about your needs as a provider and they don't respect you as a person no matter how otherwise great they seem. Since nice doesn't work you must, in a professional manner, have a sit down with them and have them sign a copy of your daycare rules and give them a copy. Let them know how much you value them, but their schedule and lack of co-operation with the rules is a huge disruption to your daycare and this pattern can not continue. I hope they "hear" you when you have a chat with them or you may have to make a tough decision regarding what benefits you and your business.

Play and Learn
09-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Kidlove, I have a section in my manual that is: Guidelines for Parents. These guidelines are put there so that they will respect me and my home/business. I have 4 points:
1. Drop-offs/Pick-ups
2. Respect Others in the Home
3. Respect the Rules in Your Manual - this is where I explain the 3-strikes policy!
4. Respect the Daycare Provider

If they cannot respect these rules, then they cannot leave their child(ren) in my care.

kidlove
09-05-2012, 11:13 AM
funny thing mimi, I have been noticing lately an 'annoyed' feeling toward the little girl. I quickly run it out of my head though because its not right, but I cant help but wonder if its not stemming from the frustration the parents are causing. perfect example: I drove my kids to school today because it is their second day in a new school (will ride bus tomorrow) but wanted them to be comfy with the new place, soooo...I left the house knowing one child was due shortly after I returned but NOT KNOWING when this one would be here because I dont have their schedule yet, sure enough.....when I pulled in the drive I saw my Father in law walking with a little one in the backyard (he comes over to feed the pigs in the am) he recieved her and the Dad went off to work....I was pissed! father in law: "it's no big deal" Me: "I get so frustrated with the "willy nilly" of their scheduling!" just bugs me, the not knowing when.

Momof4
09-05-2012, 11:16 AM
That would drive me insane. I have a family who is within a 1/2 hour in the morning & afternoon and I never know exactly when they will be here and that bugs me! I'm a planner and I like schedules and routines.

First thing you need to do by the sound of it is separate business from friendship. They don't respect your business plan. PlayandLean said it: RESPECT. In circumstances like this when something is starting to bug me I write a letter and put it all 5 backpacks to all clients but the ones causing the problem always know who they are.

Start your letter with something like: Recently I have realized that I must remind all of you of certain rules and regulations that are in my contract...........

kidlove
09-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Will be copying my contracts today and giving them tonight. and just text the Mom asking for a solid sched of 8-5 EVERY day the kids are on the schedule, this will help with the confusion and nt knowing. the trick is...getting this Dad to comply. i guess I will add a 3 strikes to my policy before handing out tonight, something has to change.

kidlove
09-05-2012, 11:21 AM
thanks momof4, I know with these people something needs to be done and soon. They are just a case in their own, seriously....I have had to change alot in my contracts because ofthem, you know, i happen to know they have hard times with money, so maybe I will have to hit them where it hurts ad charge late fees and such to wake then up, I just feel like I have let it go for so long, it will be out of the blue to lay the law down now. I have already addressed it so, tonight I will give them (and all the others) a copy of contracts to resign and added items to agree to. yuck! this is the part of this job that I hate the most, dealing with ignorant parents, not the kids.....its the parents always!!!

mimi
09-05-2012, 12:18 PM
If only we could care for orphans LOL, good luck in your dealings with them kidlove :flower:

kidlove
09-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks, not sure what else I could do, but add on late fees where ever i can. I really am quite harsh on them too, I tell it like it is, they are just really "in one ear and out the other" kind of people mixed with alot of "kind of lazy/dont care" mentality. But really are super friendly and down to earth, we have alot of the same point of view on life (core values and such) sounds contradictory I know. it really is so hard to find families you can share alot of points of view with and to me that it really important, they raise their daughter the same way we raise our kids...minus the lack of respect through the lacksidaisical (sp) "show up when I want to personality of the Dad" what to do, what to do. just wish they could understand how much easier their lives would be if they would just keep some better scheduling.

Momof4
09-05-2012, 06:28 PM
If only we could care for orphans LOL, good luck in your dealings with them kidlove :flower:

First, I thought: Eeeeks! Then I thought: Yes!