PDA

View Full Version : The "Babysitter"

Lou
09-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Does this term get on anyone elses nerves as much as it does mine?? It's like fingernails on chalkboard for me! i was a babysitter when I was 12 thank you very much!

I know he means no harm, but one of my dc dads is constantly referring to me as the "babysitter". I shouldn't say constantly, because it's only been a few times but it feels like so much more because I hate it THAT much. I don't plan on it, but has anyone ever said something to a parent who kept referring to you as just a babysitter? I work way too hard to have the same title as a teenager who sits the kids in front of a tv all day!!

Inspired by Reggio
09-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Yes I have said something in a joking but 'educational' matter about how offensive that term can be to someone who offers early years programing as a profession ~ its like going into the Dr office and addressing your Dr as a 'first aider'!

Crayola kiddies
09-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Yes I have actually .... I have a parent who calls me "the sitter" ....I told her the sitter is the teenager that you pay and exorberant amount if money too while your child is sleeping and she is sitting on your couch watching tv ..... I on the other hand make less money and spend all day with your child. She laughed and said your right sorry .... She's never done it since.

mimi
09-12-2012, 02:54 PM
I have inlaws I see about once a year. The women will ask me each time I see them."Sooo are you still babysitting?" "My answer each year is the same "not since I was 16, however I am still operating my own daycare and it is going great. Thanks for asking " :D

Play and Learn
09-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Yup, I took my ECE courses. I have training. I am NOT a babysitter. I correct them when they say it, and then I get the stunned look. Then I EXPLAIN why I'm not a babysitter! And they don't do it again!

cfred
09-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Yes, I too got very tired of being referred to as the "sitter". I just told one of the greatest culprits that it bothered me as I actually went to college for this and was well trained in the field. She apologized and never said it again....in front of me any way.

Mamma_Mia
09-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I have no formal education in the feild but I still take offence to it! It's just an ignorant comment...

kidlove
09-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Yes oh my gosh! I have the same opinion! I too consider a "babysitter" the 12 year old that sits and watched the kids watch TV. getting pd like 2$ and hour. wait!!! that's about what I make now!!!! ha ha ha
My sis-in-law will often ask "if I can baby-sit her daughter on certain days" I know she means nothing by it, but it does bother me a bit! :)
Maybe we could ask them to say "professionally babysit" ha

Momof4
09-13-2012, 05:48 PM
I don't allow it. If someone says 'babysitter' I repeat 'daycare provider' after them. My sister and one of my friends say it and I just quietly say that and they apologize. But the only client I ever had who did that was disrespectful in so many ways and I terminated them. I'm not afraid to tell people that I run a daycare program with learning, playing and routine and that is NOT a babysitter. Urggghhhhh!

Other Mummy
09-14-2012, 07:40 AM
The ONLY time I did not take offense to being called a babysitter was in the park a few months ago back in July. I was with my crew, playing and having a grand ol time. A little boy about 7 years old came up to me and said "you are a really good babysitter!" :rolleyes:

His nanny was a few feet away...on her iPhone for the past 60 min that we were there. Poor kid. I asked him to join us and he did for the next 30 min. We all played together ;)

treeholm
09-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Out of the mouths of babes, eh Other Mummy? I haven't been called a babysitter yet, but I think I would just be very surprised... I'm over 50, and to me, a babysitter is a gum-chewing, attitude-filled, Rihanna wanna-be...I think the look on my face would probably speak volumes LOL

jec
09-14-2012, 07:45 PM
I just tell people that I don't sit on the babies- I'm a daycare provider.
Usually they will give you a stunned look and then a laugh afterwards :laugh:

Sandbox Sally
09-17-2012, 11:33 AM
I just tell people that I don't sit on the babies- I'm a daycare provider.
Usually they will give you a stunned look and then a laugh afterwards :laugh:

jec, that's perfect! It incorporates humour, but lets you have your say. They won't forget, I'm sure. I might use that one. Thanks!!

mimi
09-17-2012, 11:46 AM
A couple of years ago an interviewee was asking me how many children I care for F/T and P/T. I told her my numbers and since she knew my fees she quickly did the math. Figuring out my weekly income she was impressed I almost made as much as her for "just for staying at home" I already kind of knew I wouldn't be taking her on as a client because of other dismissive remarks she had made, but that one solidified my decision. :rolleyes:

Sandbox Sally
09-17-2012, 11:52 AM
A couple of years ago an interviewee was asking me how many children I care for F/T and P/T. I told her my numbers and since she knew my fees she quickly did the math. Figuring out my weekly income she was impressed I almost made as much as her for "just for staying at home" I already kind of knew I wouldn't be taking her on as a client because of other dismissive remarks she had made, but that one solidified my decision. :rolleyes:

holy moley! Did you let her know she'd offended you? I totally would have. That's horrifying. So what was her incredible job that you shouldn't make as much as her? Like, was she a surgeon or some other such lifesaving person?
...ugh!

Momof4
09-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Ok, but tell her the total of your expenses and ask her if she could afford to lose that much off her paycheck!!!

mimi
09-17-2012, 02:37 PM
You know there are some people you would take the time to educate about something they don't understand and then there are others whose narcissitic perceptions can't be change no matter how much breath you waste explaining something to them. I think I answered her about all the great "perks" I have "just staying at home" just to rub it in. I think she was an office administrator with "people working under her" Poor slobs!