PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do....

mommyof2princesses
09-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Hi! I am not sure if I posted in the correct category as this is my first time on here but I am in need of some advice and do not know what to do about a situation. I had a daycare parent go on maternity leave last spring but I told her that in order to ensure a spot for her baby once her maternity leave was up in the spring of 2013 she would need to keep her older child with me part time as I could not hold two spots open for a year. That was when my daycare was full.

Once August came I lost a child to "big school", one to a maternity leave that would not be returning as they would be moving within the year and another one to a move out of the city. Therefore leaving me with only the part time child (2 days a week).

I love my job and I love the children but I also need an income coming in to help pay the bills and one part time child is not enough unfortunately. I have since taken on two more part time children (the neighbour/friend of my other daycare family) but am in need of one more child by the start of the new year at the latest to help with income/bills/etc. Unfortunately if I take on one more child I will not have room for the baby that is supposed to come late spring 2013 (the one I am holding a spot for).

I do not know what to do!! On one hand I told this woman I would have a spot for her come the end of her maternity leave but on the other hand my savings is depleating quickly! HELP PLEASE!!!!

Momof4
09-17-2012, 03:25 PM
One hard lesson we learn in our business is that it IS A BUSINESS. We use our hearts for the children but our business minds to make the financial decisions and to make sure the parents follow the rules of our contracts. That's the best lesson I've learned so far anyway.

So if I were you I would fill the space. Be careful to always let families know that we have unexpected events happen in our business like new babies and families moving away, etc. So always let families who want you to promise a future space know that it isn't really possible to make long term promises since this is an ever changing business. Don't feel guilty about filling the space now and give the other family notice that they must make other arrangments. It isn't personal, it's a business decision.

I have a pregnant Mom in my daycare right now asking me what will be happening in Feb. 2014. I can't answer that question!

apples and bananas
09-17-2012, 03:31 PM
First off... never promise something that may not be there!

But since you're in the position you're in, I would be honest with the client. You need XXX to survive otherwise you need to close down, go back to work and then there's not daycare for anyone.

Give her a date and some suggestions... can you take her existing child full time. Are you willing to take both kids part time starting now? Would you charge a holding fee to hold the spot?

Have you considered posting for a temp position? Talk to other providers in your area? Is there anyone taking vacation they can pass their clients on to you etc>

Just some ideas. hope it works outl.

playfelt
09-17-2012, 04:46 PM
The big thing here to consider is integrity in the sense of if you are going to take a child for Jan and not hold the space as promised you really should tell the parent now in the sense that they are likely paying you just to get the second space and if it won't be there would pull her too so would be very upset if they found they had paid for nothing which could really hurt your reputation. On the other hand if you are honest now and tell them you may lose the part time child now unless they agree to increase their days come the new year.

Your other option is to let one of your part time families know in January that come whatever date that you will no longer be able to care for their child and let them go in favour of the incoming full time child.

Inspired by Reggio
09-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I agree with all the ladies here ~ never promise to hold someone a currently open spot without financial remuneration .... this is a business and stuff happens where you might not be able to afford to continue to do this as you've found out :(

I always remind parents that while keeping the older sibling in care increases their 'odds' of having another space come open at the end of mat leave as they would be on the internal waiting list that there are no guarantees all I can do is keep them in the loop and when a spot comes open they get first dibs but if they pass on the spot it will get filled and they have to hope another comes available closer to their mat leave and if they pull the older sibling than the chances of getting TWO spots opening up at the same time their mat leave ends reduce the odds even further.... this is the reality of childcare!

However since you've already promised this client and basically entered into a verbal contract with them I personally would go to the mat leave client and explain and offer them first options .... either they can start paying some negotiated price you are both comfortable with in order to continue to hold BOTH spaces OR you will have to start advertizing for another client now because you cannot afford to go on like this and that while you will 'try' to find a temporary solution that if one does not present itself you will have to accept whatever client you can to ensure you are able to be a viable business .... they have to realize that if you do not do something in the face of the unexpected enrollment turnover they risk having no care at all come end of their mat leave anyway if you cannot keep afloat ... it is not a personal thing it is a business thing ~ you had HOPED to be able to accommodate them however circumstances changed on you and now you have to reevaluate enrollment and these are the options available ~ if they choose not to meet you in the middle than at least you TRIED to offer them first dibs on the space and you do what you need to than and fill the spaces! They run the risk that the second sibling does not get a space and they have wasted their money keeping the sibling in care.

Good luck on your choice!

mommyof2princesses
09-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have a lot to think about in terms of what option I am going to give the maternity leave family, but I think I am going to talk to her and explain I can't afford to hold a second spot unless her older child comes more often. The only thing I don't like is that if I lose the maternity family I will probably lose the other part time family as well because they are friends/neighbours.

cfred
09-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Okay, you're in the exact same situation I was in last year. Here's what happened to me. I had a girl 4 days per week. I got attached and Mum got pregnant. She said she couldn't afford to keep her in 4 days per week for mat leave, so I dropped her down to 2 days AND held a spot for her unborn child. Everything was going swimmingly and she seemed so grateful....had even talked about switching schools to keep the girl with me when she was 4. Then, 6 weeks before the 2 kids were to start full time, she had a friend tell me that she was putting the kids into a larger centre closer to her home. She knew very well that I was turning people away while she was cooking this up and she even tried to get her friend to pull her daughter out too so the girls could stay together. I've never in my life had anyone do anything so underhanded and crappy to me. End of the story, I lived in a rural area, couldn't find another client quickly enough, had to move.

The moral of the story....fill the spaces. It's a business and you need to pay your bills. It was a hard lesson to learn, and I'd rather you not learn it the hard way.

mommyof2princesses
09-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks for posting your story cfred! I think I know what I have to do now even though it will be hard!

cfred
09-18-2012, 05:25 AM
She will probably be more understanding than you're anticipating. Good decision:)

kidlove
09-18-2012, 07:26 AM
you know a similar thing happened to me years back, where I had a part-timer and had a full-timer come looking for care...the difference in money made between one and the other was a no-brainer (plus,sometimes when I sign on a part-time family,(usually if I don't know them and not sure if it will work out) I inform them it is contingent in regards to a full-time replacement (this gives me two options: 1) it's not working out? I tell them I have a full time offer and give them notice. 2) I get a call for full-time, I give them the option to pay full or be replaced) either way...I protect myself! Anyway, you could approach this family and let them know you have the offer for full time and offer them the full pay spot or "give notice" as long as you give them enough time, I think it's fair....have to remember, it's business first.
*you do need to consider your situation too...if you lose them will you lose the other family? Then will it be worth it? maybe you already know your answer. ;)

kidlove
09-18-2012, 07:37 AM
oh cfred!!!!! the exact same thing just happened to me about 2 months ago......was so angry! Took a girl for almost 4 years, Mom got pregnant and didn't even tell me til about 5 months (there was my first sign:() I still held on and asked and asked her what her plans were for after the baby? she putzed and putzed dragging her feet and never making full eye contact when we talked (second sign) I just couldn't see it, this is the Mom who always said "she wants to be with you more than at home and I love it" "so glad we found you" "you are such a blessing to our family"...never dreamed she would "blow me over" like that....needless to say, we came to agreement to have 4 yr old down to 2 days a week during her mat leave, I worked out the sched. (she assured me, the 4 yr old would stay in my care no matter what, was on the fence with the baby still) long story short, I trusted them and went out of my way to "do" for them always, was always told how much they appreciated me!!!! bla bla bla! then calls me 2 days after the baby is born!!!! what? (thanks for letting me know you had your second child) and says, "how much time do I have to give you for daughter's notice?" not coming back!!!!!!!? I was floored, after all I had done for them over the years and thats the thanks I get. I understand she can no longer afford daycare, but now because of her I can no longer afford alot of things because she left me high and dry. word to the wise: If a Mom gets pregnant with second...get a plan in writing OR start looking to fill the spot!!!!!