PDA

View Full Version : How old were your kids when you started home daycare

loads'o'kids
09-17-2012, 04:22 PM
I am just curious how old everyone's own kids were when they started daycare. I just started in June and I already feel burnt out. I find the long days of daycare plus dealing with my own kids 24/7 is really tiring! My daycare kids are 13 months, 14 months, and 3 years. My own kids are 3, 4, 9, and 15. Does anyone else feel like this and how do you stay rested and patient?! Thanks for any advice from all of you seasoned providers!

playfelt
09-17-2012, 04:39 PM
My own kids were 4 months and 18 months so what I was doing for them I was doing for the daycare which limited how far I was extended. My next two kids were born into the daycare so basically three of my kids have never known life any other way.

Be sure that you are not expending more energy than the minimum required as far as the daycare goes in the sense that age wise a lot of free play with a few extra centres of interest set up is all the group needs meaning you can take some rest periods to sit during the day since your school age kids won't allow that to happen in the evenings.

Inspired by Reggio
09-17-2012, 05:56 PM
My hat always goes off to those of you who balance both full time parenthood and doing childcare ... I honestly cannot imagine doing what I do all day long while still having to be on 24/7 for my own wee ones.

I do agree with Playfelt .... make sure to play quiet times for yourself during the day so you are not going nonstop and get everything 'work related' done during the work day so you are not working in the evenings while wearing the parenting hat!

apples and bananas
09-17-2012, 06:14 PM
My kids were 4 and 8 when I started. I also have 2 step kids that are here some days during the week, they're the same ages. I have Friday nights at 4pm until Saturday morning at noon completely to myself. (my kids go to their dads) If I don't have that time I'm no good come Monday... it's so important to have at least a few hours of kid free time in my opinion.

We took all 4 of our kids on vacation this past summer and I felt exhausted when I got back! No time alone... kids constantly! It was not a vacation in my opinion.

you need to have quiet time away from them every week.

gcj
09-17-2012, 07:17 PM
My son was 3 and my daughter was 1 when I started. Introducing a 3 year old to daycare in his home was challenging...very. But, my 1 year old only knew that, so it was always easier for her.
Balance was difficult. And at first, you often have younger dcks, since they're usually the ones looking for care, but as everyone grows with you it gets easier and easier and you take one young one at a time as kids go off to school.
Lots of free play. It's good for kids to play on their own and you're no use if you're burnt out. It's real life, so like someone else said get work related stuff done during the day as much as possible to have your evening to enjoy your children one on one.
It gets easier. Trust me. Mine are now 7 and 5 and I survived the early years and am now enjoying the quiet time of less kids in daycare, since mine still count in my ratio.

Crayola kiddies
09-17-2012, 09:04 PM
I have been running my current daycare for 2 years and my own kids are 3, 4.5, almost 8, 16, and 21 and my daycare kids are 4, 3, 2.5, 23 months, 19 months..... Yes it's very busy but I enjoy it

Bookworm
09-17-2012, 10:03 PM
My kids were 11 months old and 2 years old. Some days I am completely exhausted but I would not change it for anything.

ladyjbug
09-18-2012, 12:16 AM
My eldest turned one the week I started. Now I have two and they are three and almost fifteen months. Time flies!

jodaycare
09-18-2012, 12:19 AM
I started my home daycare when my DD was 7 mths old. At the time Mat leave was only six months, so in addition to her I had a 3.5mth old, an 8 mth old, and a 9 mth old. I was working 12 hour days most days, hubby was away for work a LOT but I was also in my early 20s so I had a lot more energy than I do now. I find I am more stressed and tired now, emotionally, physically and financially.

crafty
09-18-2012, 05:50 AM
I just started and my own kids are 3.5 and 18 months. At the end of the day, I AM exhausted but when I see how well my kids are doing and look back to what I was doing before opening my daycare... It's all worth the exhaustion for me. FOR SURE, once we are more stable financialy I will be looking into getting a cleanning service in here 2 times a week. My husband does not help much as he works long hours everyday including weekends. Once in a while what helps is I get together with friends and we cook big meals like lasagna, spagetthi sauce, casseroles ... So I have delicous meals prepared ahead of time for the daycare as well as for us. Since I do it with a friend it feels more like a girls day than chores :D

crafty
09-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Oups not 2 times a week ... I meant once every other week LOL.

Dreamalittledream
09-18-2012, 06:14 AM
I just opened a little over a year ago and my sons at the time were 2,6,12,15...my youngest (who, of course is home with me) is always my challenge in a day...I love the child more than anything...but, this child knows when to push my buttons! He's simply a dramatic child (my husband is a drama teacher, actor, comedian...not far from the tree!). He's the one screaming the loudest, throwing toys as part of some elaborate storyline, yelling "all done time out" or "all done sleeping (always the first one up, morning or naptime...I should nick name him alarm clock")...I'm ashamed that some (okay, most) days when Dad arrives home I do a little happy dance in my head. In terms of daycare (aka, playpens in everyone's bedroom) my older boys have adjusted very well & love the kids...first thing they do when they get home is come to the play room to play. And, my youngest has adapted very well too...shockingly well having to share his space (guess it helps that the playroom, acquiring toys/equip., opening daycare all happened at the same time).

gcj
09-18-2012, 07:02 AM
I always think about the other option: getting up early, racing out the door, dropping them off at someone ELSE's house, working all day, getting home just in time for dinner, giving them a quick bath, then saying goodnight. I'm exhausted just typing it! Never! Not for me!

Starshine
09-18-2012, 07:24 AM
I started when my son was 5. As a single parent, it's hard because I very rarely get a break.

Mamma_Mia
09-18-2012, 07:37 AM
I started a little more than a year and a half ago. My daughter was 14mos old at that time.

cfred
09-18-2012, 07:43 AM
My kids were 3, 4 and 10 yrs. Now they're 14, 15 and 21. Wow.....that looks even worse in print! Anyhoo..... I was pooped in the beginning too. It's an adjustment for sure! I found the isolation hardest. However, once I got used to the new routine, it was totally fine. Now it just feels normal having a houseful of young kids. In fact, I just had a slumber party this weekend with 3 of the girls I used to look after....they're all older now.....that looks worse in print too.

Okay, before I succumb to the ravages of age completely.....Hang in there. It'll get easier. Have stuff (grown up stuff) to look forward to in your off hours. Heck, even during work hours! Set up a coffee date with a friend who has kids. Take the kiddies out for lunch or to the mall. Plan a nap time to do NOTHING!!!!! Plan a 'Sloth Day' with the kids (movies, jammies and buffet). My own children thought it was a national holiday, though it was just my way of doing something fun, different and giving me an opportunity to vegetate for a little while.

kidlove
09-18-2012, 07:44 AM
you have your hands full...thats all. plus you just started...it takes a while to get in the swing. sounds to me like the second half of your day is more tiring than the first? you are probly running here and there for your own kids as well. you have a lot to deal with...I'm sure you will be able to get the balance soon. :)