PDA

View Full Version : Newsletter/General Letter Home to Parents

Toregone
09-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Here is what I'm sending home today. I'm attempting to address a few issues such as candy (at 7am!!), improper clothing, etc in a general manner as well as give the fall supply list. Do I come across as bitchy at all? Anyone see any grammer mistakes etc that I missed?

--------

Dear Parents,

It’s that time of year again, the days are getting shorter and colder. Autumn are arrived! Here at the dayhome we are still trying to spend as much time outdoors as possible so please remember to dress your child appropriate for the weather. With this in mind here is our Fall supply list.

Fall Supply List
• Warm, preferably waterproof/resistant coat
• Splash pants/waterproof pants
• Hat
• Mittens or gloves
• Pair of inside shoes (Robeez type) or slippers to be left at dayhome
• Running shoes
• As always diapers, wipes, change of clothes 

The main thing we do here is PLAY! With this in mind please ensure that you are dressing your child so they will be comfortable. As adorable as some of the fall clothing is, it is not comfortable for playing. Pea coats, any shoes except runners, bulky cardigan type coats etc are just not comfortable for the kids to run around in. As such I ask that you please do not dress them in these items. The best daycare outfit is comfy stretchy pants, a t shirt (long or short sleeve), and a sweatshirt. For girls leggings and skirts work just as well. While you are more than welcome to dress your child in jeans if you wish, I do find that the children tend to be more at ease (especially for nap time) in other types of pants.

I would also like to give a reminder that outside toys are not permitted. Children may have a comfort object for nap time (blankie, stuffy, doll etc) but these items are restricted to nap time use only. Any other toys brought to the dayhome will be put away for the day.

You are welcome to bring breakfast for your child but please limit it to healthy options only. Muffins, waffles, toast/bread and fruit are all great choices. However any candy, sweet treats, juice (not in a sippy but in a juice box) etc are not permitted. When 1 child is allowed a “treat” the others want as well and I do not keep these items in stock in my home. As such I do ask that you not bring them. Of course for “special” days (Halloween, birthdays..) parents are welcome to supply a treat if they wish provided they bring enough for all the children.

I have discontinued the “Open House” night as after the first one it didn’t seem as if there was much interest in continuing. However I am always willing to schedule a time for you to come in the evenings if you have something you wish to discuss.

If anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to talk to me.
-----------

Thanks for any input!

monkeymama
09-19-2012, 12:18 PM
I think it sounds great! Its sad you even have to address these issues, but kudos to you for putting it out there. Can I ask why you require indoor shoes? Just curious....
Ive highlighted a few changes.

Dear Parents,

It’s that time of year again, the days are getting shorter and colder. Autumn hasarrived! Here at the dayhome we are still trying to spend as much time outdoors as possible so please remember to dress your child appropriately for the weather. With this in mind here is our Fall supply list:

Fall Supply List
• Warm, preferably waterproof/resistant coat
• Splash pants/waterproof pants
• Hat
• Mittens or gloves
• Pair of inside shoes (Robeez type) or slippers to be left at dayhome
• Running shoes
• As always diapers, wipes, change of clothes 

The main thing we do here is PLAY! With this in mind please ensure that you are dressing your child so they will be comfortable. As adorable as some of the fall clothing is, it is not comfortable for playing. Pea coats, any shoes except runners, bulky cardigan type coats etc are just not comfortable for the kids to run around in. As such I ask that you please do not dress them in these items. The best daycare outfit is comfy stretchy pants, a t shirt (long or short sleeve), and a sweatshirt. For girls leggings and skirts work just as well. While you are more than welcome to dress your child in jeans if you wish, I do find that the children tend to be more at ease (especially for nap time) in other types of pants.

I would also like to give a reminder that outside toys are not permitted. Children may have a comfort object for nap time (blankie, stuffy, doll etc) but these items are restricted to nap time use only. Any other toys brought to the dayhome will be put away for the day.

You are welcome to bring breakfast for your child but please limit it to healthy options only. Muffins, waffles, toast/bread and fruit are all great choices. However any candy, sweet treats, juice (not in a sippy but in a juice box) etc are not permitted. When 1 child is allowed a “treat” the others want as well and I do not keep these items in stock in my home. As such I do ask that you not bring them. Of course for “special” days (Halloween, birthdays..) parents are welcome to supply a treat if they wish provided they bring enough for all the children.

I have discontinued the “Open House” night as after the first one it didn’t seem as if there was much interest in continuing. However I am always willing to schedule a time for you to come in the evenings if you have something you wish to discuss.

If anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to talk to me.
-----------

Thanks for any input!

Toregone
09-19-2012, 12:53 PM
I require indoor shoes as the main daycare/playroom is below grade and once the colder weather comes in can get cool down there. The carpet is quite thin and is directly on the concrete which can make feet cold. My hope had been to redo the flooring down there this fall but as I'm currently saving for a mat leave that doesn't look possible for this year. So instead we'll tough it out and wear slippers :)

and OMG I can't believe I wrote "are arrived". *head smack*. You know, in a former life I was a grammer nazi. Then I had a child and opened a daycare.. somewhere along the way that part of my brain seems to have ceased functioning properly. haha.

Bookworm
09-19-2012, 12:59 PM
I think it looks great too! I also require the children to have slippers or robeez to as I have hardwood floors in my upstairs play area and don't want the children to slip, plus it helps to keep their feet warm downstairs.

Inspired by Reggio
09-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Yup ~ 'tis that time of year it seems!

I am another one who requires hard soled slippers or Robeez for in the house ... my floors are all hardwood cause it is healthier for cleaning / maintaining downside is it is slippery plus in the winter hardwood is cold ;)

Mamma_Mia
09-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Can I ask why you require indoor shoes? Just curious....

I too require indoor shoes. We go to many playgroups in the fall & winter: Some are in a gym type location so not to be in socks (fall risk with slippery floors) and get the floors wet/dirty of mud or snow- a changes of shoes is needed. Also in my home our playroom is in the basement and it gets chilly on the feet. Plus like I mentioned socks slip easily on our hardwood stairs & floors.

That's my reason :D

playfelt
09-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Running shoes here too. We run, jump, leap and play hard. Adults don't exercise in their bare feet generally and we need support for our little bones too when we are trying to jump and touch the sky. Hardwood/cerammic floors up and basement playroom so same reasons as others - no slipping and warmth.

Momof4
09-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Isn't it awful that we have to remind them and remind them? I need splashpants to be left here all year round because I DO allow children to run in puddles. It's FUN! I suggested tightly fitted mittens and boots with velcro to prevent them coming off in snowbanks and reminded parents that there is lots of mud under the snow so suggested dark colours when they purchase snowsuits.

Toregone
09-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I have one little girl that no matter how many times I mention appropriate clothing to the mom, she dresses the little girl in white tights, a frilly skirt, a fancy dress coat and mary jane patent shoes. For daycare and playing. COME ONE! Time and place people. I once actually said "please bring her runners tomorrow, she needs them" and was told that she didn't own any because "they're not pretty."

I have another little girl that often comes in white pants, and cute cardi's but the mom has explained it's the grandma buying the clothes and she would rather see them get used than sit in the closet. Go ahead and get them as dirty as you please. She also comes in runners, and with proper outerwear so that I am ok with. Generally the boys are pretty good.

Hopefully the newsletter helps parents understand that appropriate clothing really is needed for thier childs comfort and not just for my convenience.

Mamma_Mia
09-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Isn't it awful that we have to remind them and remind them?

Its very sad!