PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to entertain 4yo during nap time?

monkeymama
09-19-2012, 12:28 PM
So I have a new dcb that comes a couple times a week when he isnt in school. He is 4 and no longer takes a nap. When my daughter (who is also 4 and no longer naps) is not at school, it is no problem. They play beautifullly together. However, when she isnt the poor little guy is bored to tears. I have things to do during nap time: eat lunch, clean up, laundry, pay bills etc. He has exhausted most of books, puzzles and watches a movie occasionally but they dont interest him too much. Trying to think of some ideas for things to interest him without me having to entertain him! Ive never had a child this old, or a boy lol, in my dayhome before so this is a challenge for me. Any suggestions are welcome!

mimi
09-19-2012, 01:05 PM
I have a dcg who needs some one to entertain her as well when my kids are sleeping. I have some special books and toys that she can play with only during the time she is on her own. I also have school time with her and we work on her letters, numbers etc. and then there is play dough. If she is not in the mood for any of this, I let her watch Leap Frog Letters video and do what I have to do around the house.

cfred
09-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Man, you're awesome not giving him a quiet time! My day care kids have quiet time REGARDLESS of age. When I had mainly older kids, they each had their own blanket and pillow and were to lay down to watch one movie. Then a quiet activity for 30 mins. 90% of the time, most of them fell asleep half way through the movie.

Sandbox Sally
09-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Yep, I have a 5yo who is here Tue/Thur and every other Friday, and he has to stay on the couch during quiet time. He can watch a movie, read books, play quietly with some toys, but he's not allowed to get up and run around. Quiet time is quiet time. I do nothing to entertain him. He's fine.

We can't work 9-12 hour days without a break. It's not ok. Let the boy deal with it. He'll fall into routine soon enough.

gcj
09-19-2012, 01:33 PM
I think you just need to be more firm with him. Whether or not he naps, you both need that quiet time. He should have to amuse himself with whichever books/puzzles/individual games are made available to him....and/or a bit of TV time. I tell them that I'm recharging (including my ears), so I'm off limits. Luckily right now I have ALL nappers...even my 4yo dcb.

playfelt
09-19-2012, 02:03 PM
This is the time to bring out quiet activities meant for older kids like small lego, or mini cars - things he can play with without moving around a lot, are quiet when in use and that he can do without your help.

Nintendo DS would work well since he can curl up on the couch to play and is really resting - and there are plenty of math or learning type games too so you don't even need to feel guilty about it.

Listening to music with a CD player and headphones.

What he isnt' going to want to do is more of what he did all morning so it needs to be toys that only come out in the afternoon.