PDA

View Full Version : Milk

Jtlt
09-20-2012, 12:27 PM
How much much should you provide to the kids before you start charging extra for milk?

I have one kid his parents say to give a bottle when he goes down for a nap, so I do what I am asked. I provide 8 ounce milk to him, and if he doesn't go down the want me to give him 8 to 12 more ounce of milk meaning 2 more bottles. That is more than half a bag of milk I just have given to the child.

sunnydays
09-20-2012, 12:34 PM
I ask parents to fill bottles and send them if the child is still taking bottles. Otherwise they get one cup of milk daily after lunch.

gcj
09-20-2012, 12:35 PM
That just sounds completely unnecessary. Forget about charging extra, I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure it's healthy either. How old is this kid?

Jtlt
09-20-2012, 12:41 PM
That just sounds completely unnecessary. Forget about charging extra, I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure it's healthy either. How old is this kid?

I totally agree with you it is so unhealthy. I have a 3 year old son and he doesn't drink as much milk as that child does, also my son weighs approx 36lbs, and this boy is only 2 years old and weighs twice as much as my son.

I am starting to get fed up with it, I cannot provide so much milk to that child. He doesn't want to eat, is parents say give him milk he will be fine

giraffe
09-20-2012, 12:55 PM
I agree 100% with the above posters. Myself i provide 6oz of milk (2%) at lunch. If a child needs more, or a different type of milk (homo, rice, soy) then it must be provided by the parent. I also feel that this child is to old to be going to bed with a bottle, I dont do bottlea after 14mth. But if you arnt interested in stopping his botles maybe since he is used to having a bottle at nap, have you thought of reducing the amount given? Maybe 4oz.??

Crayola kiddies
09-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Parents must provide what goes in bottles ....as well if they want homo they must provide that too and I want kids on sippy cups by the time they are a year a I stop the bottle shortly after and I dont do bottles in bed at all but a bottle of milk in bed is so bad for their teeth cause milk is loaded in sugar and will rot their teeth. And I would never give a two year old child a bottle ever regardless of what the parents want to do at home

jazmic
09-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Agree with all the posts above for sure! Figure out what you're willing to provide and have the parents provide anything more than that.

playfelt
09-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Anything in a bottle must be provided by the parent and this is one of the reasons why. The other reason is I got tired of being asked to fill a bottle for the child to drink on the car ride home even though it was only a 10-15 minute ride at most. I provide 4-6 oz of milk for one snack and lunch, and 4 oz of juice at other snack. Anything else is water. And anything I provide is in a sippy cup.

Momof4
09-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Parents with infants who still use bottles must send them full here too. Homo milk must be sent in by the parents because I only supply 2% and I serve a cup of juice with breakfast, milk with lunch and afternoon snack and water the rest of the day. That's my milk budget.

Inspired by Reggio
09-26-2012, 06:42 AM
I also require anything in a 'bottle' to be provided from home ... IME it encourages them to wean off that quickly ;)

There is no way I could in conscious allow a child to drink 16-24 oz of milk in ONE SITTING specially so close after presumably eating lunch that is creating unhealthy eating habits and IMO is teaching a child to 'eat' to self soothe to sleep rather than learning to actually fall asleep in a healthy manner. I personally would feel obligated to share resources / articles with the client that promoted healthier options for dealing with their child diet and sleep habits.

Once a child has transitioned to a cup I provide access to 2 serving of dairy per day as per the Ontario Day Nursery Act requirements for a child in care more than 6 hours a day based on the Canada's Food Guide ... which I do not always agree with but it is the guiding document we are suppose to use ;)

A serving size for a child over the age of one but under the age of 6 is 125 - 175 ml .... so that is only 250 ml to max of 350 ml.

http://childcarelearning.on .ca/child_care_setting/?room=24&item=74

This does not necessarily all come as milk to drink in a cup because dairy can be yogurt or cheese, cottage cheese, smoothie, cream sauce in casserole, milk on cereal and so forth and well.

fruitloop
09-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Parents must provide what goes in bottles ....as well if they want homo they must provide that too and I want kids on sippy cups by the time they are a year a I stop the bottle shortly after and I dont do bottles in bed at all but a bottle of milk in bed is so bad for their teeth cause milk is loaded in sugar and will rot their teeth. And I would never give a two year old child a bottle ever regardless of what the parents want to do at home

Exactly this! There is no way in hell I'd be giving any child a bottle in bed let alone a 2 year old. Uh uh...no way! Get that kid off of the bottle, there is no reason for it.