PDA

View Full Version : What are your experiences with City Run Home agencies?

Connect
09-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Hello,
I had asked this question before regarding the pros and cons of working in contract with local agencies. In Toronto, there is the city that can also contract home care providers. Your thoughts and experience with the city agency who I have been told pays more per day. Your thoughts and experience please.

Inspired by Reggio
09-21-2012, 08:09 AM
My current city does not have city run programs however my previous one did ~ and they were the option 1 for anyone who was wanting to partner with agency care .... typically city / government run agencies naturally have more resources and access to support for both clients and providers because the funding comes down the federal, provincial chain to the CITY and than the CITY chooses how to distribute that to the childcare industry so they have a vested interest to take a larger part of the pie so to speak, plus their agency head quarters has access to 'free rental space' in city building and so forth.

In my previous home town they ran both city run 'daycare centres' and they ran a home childcare agency to support providers ... the wages in their centres started at $40,000 a year while other non profits were $22,000 so almost double the wages plus they had sick days, benefits and pensions as 'city workers' that average centre care employees do not have. Their home childcare providers got paid about $5-7 a day more / child than places like Wee Watch paid so Wee Watch back than was paying $20 a day to providers and the City home providers were getting $25/27 a day depending on the age of the child cause they pay you more for under twos ... so that is $6250 - 8750 a year more in wages if all 5 of your daycare children are through them so that is a huge incentive to go with an city agency! Plus that was almost 10 years ago so who knows what the wages are now after 10 years of unionized COL raises being given out despite the rest of the business world having wage freezes or minimal wage increases!

Connect
09-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Thank You1