PDA

View Full Version : I am ready to open in October...Only one big problem

BlueRose
09-25-2012, 12:54 PM
So my daycare is almost all set up, just a few small things left to get/do. I have just signed on with 2 agencies and I am ready to open my doors as of October 1st. I only have one big problem...... I have no kids.

I have been interviewing, but most are looking for the new year.
One agency set put an interview for me, but they canceled.
The other set up an interview for me, but the parents spoke French and very very little English. It was an interesting interview, I am still waiting to hear weather or not they want to sign. (they did seem think a good couple and my son and theirs got alone great).

My mat-leave will officially end at the end of October, so even if I don't get any kids until November I am fine.

I have a website, I have my ad posted on many different sights like here and Kijiji, I have posted flyers around my neighbourhood and at the grocery store, I have gone to a connection meeting and will be going to another next week. I am just not sure what, if anything I am going wrong. :confused:

I know that once I get one kid the rest will fall into place.

Any advice on how to get that first client?

playfelt
09-25-2012, 01:05 PM
This is by far the worst summer I have seen in the 10 years I have been in Ottawa for getting kids. I don't think there is anything else you can physically do to get the kids. The trend just needs to pass somehow. There is so much uncertainty in the workplace right now with layoffs and reorganization that many due back from mat leave are finding their jobs are gone and they don't want what is being offered to them so they are forced to stay home till they find something else which of course isn't going to happen. The end result is a lot of daycares opening up as a stop gap measure. Till those close for whatever reason we will pay the price. Which I could offer you some better advice but just know you are doing everything right so it isn't anything you can improve on there.

sunnydays
09-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Sorry to hear you're having a hard time! It is hard when you are starting out to get that first family who is willing to take a chance on a newbie. You have done a great thing by creating a website as it shows you are dedicated to this. I had a quick look at your website and my only suggestion is maybe you could add some pictures of your daycare area (I include photos of activities in action, but since you haven't started yet, pictures of your space would help). Also, I am wondering if it might be better for you to leave off your policies and save those for giving to parents one they have met you and know how wonderful you are. I have found that the times I provided parents with my policies before the interview, they sometimes cancelled the interview as they didn't want to have to pay for my vacation, sick days,etc....but once they have come and met me and seen my daycare, then they are much more willing to accept my policies because by then they really want a space in my daycare. It's just a thought! Best of luck to you!

BlueRose
09-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Sorry to here you are also finding it hard to find kids. But I am glad that I am not alone.

BlueRose
10-02-2012, 10:11 AM
I have a kid :D
The dad just has to go see subsidy, then his son is all mine. :)
he is hoping to start next week. He is a 9 year old, before and after school, so the money sucks, but its better then nothing.
I have a few interviews this week so hopefully I can get a few more kids soon.

Crayola kiddies
10-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Good luck with your upcoming interviews !