PDA

View Full Version : For your child's safety, please insist on qualifications for providers!

Daniel Witt
04-15-2011, 10:20 AM
PARENTS - Your Child's Safety - Please Insist On Qualifications For Providers!
*Child Care Providers, Educators, Child Transporters, Nannies, Facilities*

"It seems that in these days of economic challenge there is an increase in individuals jumping into this field with questionable qualifications or unrealistic claims, putting your Child at serious risk, for a cut rate. Regardless of how positive the Provider's intent may be, you as their Parent must demand high standards where your Child’s safety is concerned."

* What person(s) will be in close contact with your Child (regularly or on occasion)?
* RCMP criminal background checks?
* First Aid?
* Supervision, Transparency, Accountability?
* Relevant Certifications?
* Experience?
* Insurance?
* Business license?
* How long in business?
* References, referrals?
* Vehicle suitability, safety, certifications, government commercial transport inspections?
* Back up vehicles? Could your child be stranded somewhere? Vehicle properly equipped?
* Can the vehicle survive an impact from another vehicle?
* Driver certification, professional, ICBC manifest, health?
* Documentation?

Parents ~ Contact at least three sources before settling. Confirm any information or documentation officially and in person. After engaging a provider, check back routinely and drop in, off schedule on occasion. What could be more priceless than your child? :yes:

Play and Learn
04-15-2011, 10:25 AM
I agree totally as a caregiver to this. I currently have a dcg2 that was abused in her previous home daycare. Mom and dad had not investigated this woman before sending their daughters there. Needless to say, I became this little girls new provider, and mom now tells other parents to research the providers.

It's really sad. I tell my parents to shop around. It's what is best for your child.

BCParent
04-15-2011, 01:06 PM
* First Aid?
* Vehicle suitability, safety, certifications, government commercial transport inspections?
* Back up vehicles? Could your child be stranded somewhere? Vehicle properly equipped?

When parents post things like this, it always springs to mind - do they have first aid themselves? (I have mine but I can assure you that if there is much more than a band-aid needing to be placed, I'm calling the parents or an ambulance. I'm not messing around) Relevent certifications? (Did the parent take courses before having children? Book knowledge does not guarantee a good provider) Do you have a vehicle that is in 100% maintenance? Do you have a back up vehicle incase your car breaks down on the way to pick up your kid at daycare? (This could happen to anyone) Can your vehicle survive an impact from another vehicle? (ANY vehicle can be crushed on impact!) Do you make sure you're fully certified before you drive your kid(s) anywhere?

I understand the concerns that parents have when taking their child to daycare with a stranger, I really do. But sometimes, I think the focus is so much on what we see on paper versus how we really feel about the provider personally and trusting our gut about who is best for our kids. I guess what I'm trying to point out is that it always seems parents have no qualms asking for things that they themselves usually don't have or do for their own families and the irony of it makes me smile.

fruitloop
04-15-2011, 02:45 PM
* First Aid?

When parents post things like this, it always springs to mind - do they have first aid themselves? (I have mine but I can assure you that if there is much more than a band-aid needing to be placed, I'm calling the parents or an ambulance. I'm not messing around) Relevant certifications? (Did the parent take courses before having children? Book knowledge does not guarantee a good provider) Do you have a vehicle that is in 100% maintenance? Do you have a back up vehicle in case your car breaks down on the way to pick up your kid at daycare? (This could happen to anyone) Can your vehicle survive an impact from another vehicle? (ANY vehicle can be crushed on impact!) Do you make sure you're fully certified before you drive your kid(s) anywhere?

I understand the concerns that parents have when taking their child to daycare with a stranger, I really do. But sometimes, I think the focus is so much on what we see on paper versus how we really feel about the provider personally and trusting our gut about who is best for our kids. I guess what I'm trying to point out is that it always seems parents have no qualms asking for things that they themselves usually don't have or do for their own families and the irony of it makes me smile.

I 100% agree with you on this! While I agree that parents should do their homework when looking for a provider, they also have to have realistic expectations of their provider. Questions like the following...

* First Aid?
* Business license?
* Back up vehicles? Could your child be stranded somewhere?
* Documentation?

... are pretty irrelevant IMO. As the pp stated...do the parents have first aid? I'd say that 50% of them don't but yet they require you to. Vehicles...well, the ones i posted are just irrelevant questions...no vehicle is 100% accident proof and anyone could get stranded. Parents SHOULD ask if they have the proper insurance on their vehicles though to cover the dck. You don't need a business licence to operate a daycare/day home...at least you don't in Alberta. Also, like the pp stated...there is way more to a care giver than pieces of paper and choosing a provider should NEVER be based solely on that. There are tons of cases where "educated(those with certificates)" providers have harmed a child. I have no idea what you mean by "documentation". Exactly what kind of documents are you looking for?

Things like references, foods (unless you are ok with them eating crap, kd, hotdogs, etc. all the time), proper insurance, background checks...both for criminal and child intervention checks, definitely who will be in contact with your child, asking about outside time (you don't want a provider who keeps the kids inside all the time), stimulating activities (unless you're ok with them sitting in front of a t.v. all day), contracts (a provider with a good contract has thought long and hard how she wants her business to be and what she wants to offer the kids and parents, you don't want to go with a provider with no contract. It protects you both.), appropriate toys for the ages of the kids, safe and clean environment, # of children in care...you don't want to stick your child in a child warehouse just because the price is cheap, and last but not least (I'm sure I'll think of more to add) you get what you pay for. If a daycare is offering really cheap rates, they aren't feeding your children "good" foods, they aren't doing crafts and special things with your child and they are most likely warehousing kids...

Myrtah
04-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Of course it is important to check if the provider is capable of doing a good job.
But documentation like these
* What person(s) will be in close contact with your Child (regularly or on occasion)?
* RCMP criminal background checks?
* First Aid?
* Supervision, Transparency, Accountability?
* Experience?
* Insurance?
* Business license?
* How long in business?
* References, referrals?
* Documentation?
are important and is one way parents can refer to see whether you are up to date.
At the end of the day the day care providers are running a business - a very sensitive business .
I do not think it is an unreasonable request from parents.
It is rather funny that providers always reverse it on the parents saying " do you guys have this?".
Day care providers are running the business and this is their professional portfolio.

playfelt
04-21-2011, 01:25 PM
I think the concerns were valid till the part about the vehicle. The "requirements" do seem a bit excessive and not really something that is available to the average homeowner to my knowledge. A vehicle passes it's inspection and is given regular updating in theory.

As far as reversing on parents. If parents don't think it is important enough for them to have first aid or a vehcile that can pass a commercial inspection for the safety of their children then why should they have the right to suddenly demand that their caregiver does. But then kids do spend more time with us than with there parents in many cases.

Myrtah
04-21-2011, 01:44 PM
I think the concerns were valid till the part about the vehicle. The "requirements" do seem a bit excessive and not really something that is available to the average homeowner to my knowledge. A vehicle passes it's inspection and is given regular updating in theory.

As far as reversing on parents. If parents don't think it is important enough for them to have first aid or a vehcile that can pass a commercial inspection for the safety of their children then why should they have the right to suddenly demand that their caregiver does. But then kids do spend more time with us than with there parents in many cases.

Parents do not think it is not important to know first aid or have a good vehicle with proper safety standards.My point is that this is not a tit for tat. Day care providers run a business and as part of your professional needs you should have these things in place. Excessive over reactive concerns from parents side could be addressed.I understand that. Like how you address one rotten apple family that can affect your day care, there are rotten day cares that send out the message to be cautious. If there was a choice no one wants to leave their kids with anyone else.

When you apply for a job they look at your skill set and the overall package. You cannot ask the employer " Do you know to do that?"
In this forum there is a huge defensive attitude. That is not wrong but I hope as parents and providers we could see and appreciate each others points of view..not play mockery.
There are very few parents in this forum by the way.

playfelt
04-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Maybe as a parent then you realize that you get what you pay for. If you want your caregiver to offer commercial vehicles expect to pay for the service. If you want rules and regulations and governement control then you need to go to a daycare centre. Most of the providers on this forum are your neighbours, the lady down the street. Yes we have our homes set up differently than you do and we take safety into consideration but we are first and foremost a home and a family and if I feel my vehicle is safe enough for my own family then you have two choices - accept that or go with a caregiver that does not take the children out during daycare hours. Which just for the record I do not. If we go we walk.

Myrtah
04-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Yes Playfelt. I do realize that these are people like you and me. As I said the over cautious and over reactive concerns from parents should be addressed. When you speak to the provider and get to know them most fears go away. It does take some more time to totally trust.
Again, I think the tone of the providers here has been a bit mockery and thats what I am not agreeing with.
Most providers want to be treated as professionals and not as the friendly next door neighbour.
If the parents ask anything, they want to ask the parent something. I think this should be a conversation- a friendly conversation. It seems to me that the way things are addressed - the fault is always with the parent. While we rectify our mistakes and make an effort it would be great if we feel welcome here. It would be good to see day care providers listen to our views and explain instead of just defending themselves.
If the parent is ignorant, this forum will help them understand the reality.
From what I read from that parents post, he had been through something pretty bad to even come up with such an excessive list.
While you recognize that it is excessive there is no need to mock.

fruitloop
04-21-2011, 03:38 PM
I don't think I was mocking...I offered up what parents should be looking for and what to base their choices on. It IS important for parents to do their homework...but you have to do the right homework. A provider with "papers" isn't better than 1 without neccessarliy. Parents need to look at the over-all picture and trust their gut...and not let price dictate where they take their kids. They shouldn't be looking for a deal when it comes to this.

Spixie33
04-21-2011, 04:03 PM
I have been on both sides of the 'requirements' list

I have used 3 different daycare providers -- all of them LOVELY and GREAT providers before becoming a provider myself.

As a parent I was concerned about whether the provider had first aid and whether they were driving anywhere period. I didn't care what type of vehicle or insurance they had. I just wanted t o know whether they were driving and for what purpose, what distances and how frequently and whether they had proper restraints, etc

Other than that - I didn't expect them to be ECE like a lot of parents do and I didn't expect them to cook because I sent my own food and snacks and drinks (due to my son's allergies)

I didn't even ask how much outdoor time or crafts they were doing. I didn't care quite frankly. All I wanted was my child to be happy and SAFE - not molested, beaten, abused emotionally or physically. I just wanted to pick up a happy child.

Now that I am on the flip side I see that parents do expect more from providers than they would do themselves. Parents OFTEN (not always) do expect 1-2 hours outdoor time, crafts, stimulation, no TV at all , First aid, police check, organic foods, learning time, etc

I provide most of what parents want but I do have to smile to myself thinking that there is no way that parents are doing the same thing at home. Some parents demand NO TV but yet when their child sees a child wearing a Toopy and Binoo or Backyardigans shirt they can name them or do all the dances along with the Wiggle Songs. lol It shows me that at home they are obviously watching lots of TV.

I say ask the questions...BUT do not get caught up on experience and qualifications necessarily because even the April Locknese (sp?) person was very experienced and qualified and yet lost her temper to the point where a baby died. Go with your feelings, instincts, the appearance and cleanliness of the home and the providers children and ask more about how your child will be safe.... who enters the home and when, do any male visitors or other visitors go in or out, is there a pool, is the pool fenced, is there a pet and how are they with kids, are the doors alarmed, stairs safe, will they give hotdogs and grapes in total pieces or are they aware that these are choking hazards that need to be cut and quartered or smaller...etc

I agree with everyone who said that you should look for QUALITY care regardless of price. This is not the area to skimp on and don't be afraid as a parent to clearly say what your expectations are. There is a great provider out there for everyone if you look and ask around, network. Start looking earlier than you need it and do not leave it for the last minute.

Also...I do recommend introducing your child gradually to the provider. First a meeting and see what your feelings are watching them together and whether it seems forced or natural, and then do a 2 hour try out where you leave the child, then 4 or 5 hours and then a full day. I do not recommending just leaving a child for a full day right off the bat.

I don't think that someone having a commercial vehicle will help and let's face it - no accident is a good accident. No car can totally withstand an accident unless they drive a literal tank.

playfelt
04-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Just for the record if a parent came to me with the requests listed above they would be "red flagged" as potential trouble and told that my house was not the right place for them that I was unable to meet their needs. It has been my experience that a parent that has a very staid ideal when they interview tends to try to call all the shots in what happens in the daycare and while it is your child as you said this is my business and as such you don't tell local retailers how to do their job and you contract for my services knowing what I plan to offer and not offer. In empathy to parents there is so much misinformation and scare mongering going on out there I don't know how you actually manage to use daycare and go to work every day. One of my jobs when I do interview new families is to get them to put the lists away and go with their feelings and to decide for themselves what is important in childcare and not some idealized list. If they can do that there is a far better chance they will find appropriate care that lasts a long time.

mamaof4
04-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Hi,
I totally believe certifications aren't the be all end all of determining a qualified provider. The best sitter we have ever used is a high school kid. She has taken CPR etc... But little else, but she is amazing.

An aside, please keep it kind!

waterloo day mom
06-20-2011, 06:19 PM
my main issue with this, other than the vehicle stuff which I also believe is beyond reasonable, is unscheduled drop-ins. I know a lot of daycare providers that are very leery about having parents mingling around the daycare during the day. I would love to have parents be able to come by and check in, but at least 4 of my 5 kids would absolutely lose it if their parent showed up and then left again. I've had this happen when someone is picked up for an appointment and then brought back. The second thing is that I only see these parents for a few minutes when they drop off or pick up their child. I have no idea if they have a criminal record. You have no idea who else is sending their kids to the same childcare provider and what they do behind closed doors. If parents are to demand that anyone who comes into my home has a record check, then I would have to ask the parents for one if they intend on interacting with my dkc.

mom-in-alberta
06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
I was not going to weigh in on this issue... it seemed like a pretty incendiary thread already, and I did not want anything to get taken the wrong way.
But I believe that choosing a good childcare provider is like anything; it is about personal choice and balance. Does a parent have the right to ask all those questions... absolutely. But the provider also has the right to say that it is not a good fit. And in my area, I think that a parent would be hard up to find a provider that met ALL the criteria, without paying a ridiculous sum of money on a monthly basis. If that is what they are looking for, and that is what they choose, then so be it.
Personally, I do not believe that degrees and diplomas make a good caregiver. Take all the classes you want; nothing prepares you for being puked on, pooped on, shrieked at or bit by an angry toddler than actually going through it! I do not think that it is fair to say that you cannot find a good provider in someone who has no credentials to speak of.
The bottom line is; it is a 2 way street, and everyone involved needs to be comfortable with the arrangement. My heart honestly goes out to families who have dealt with unhealthy or abusive childcare situations. I would be like a momma bear on a rampage if I ever found out someone had treated my kids in a way that harmed them!! More so than documents, etc; a parent needs to trust their instincts and communicate honestly and openly with thier provider. A lot of issues can be solved with simple (non-confrontational, lol) conversations.

FS2011
06-22-2011, 10:42 PM
In BC we are strictly regulated for running child care centers. If you are licensed you must meet most of the items on that list with the exception of some of the car and driving items listed. You can't run an unlicensed daycare with more then 2 kids. It's a lot of work to become licensed and get these things accomplished but once it's done you know this is the industry you obviously want to be in, your proud you did it and you know parents have a sense of relief. Doesn't mean all licensed facilities are not going to be duds but it's less likely.

ConcernedParent
07-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Wow! Hope my the babysitter who looks after my kids doesn't think like you. She has a decent rate. Cheaper than the daycares. Does that mean my kids get mediocre childcare?

As for first aid, most people in my place of business do not know first aid but you can bet there are designates that do including employees and definately building staff does. Whether mom and dad have first aid is of no concern to you. Your concern is the business you run and if you're equipped to handle immediate emergencies like choking and CPR. And if that is asking too much and then you shouldn't be looking after other people's children. We're paying you, remember??

Skysue
07-18-2011, 08:02 PM
My take on this whole discussion is the parent really needs to do their homework and all adults in the home should have background checks and all providers must have 1st aid.

People’s children are so precious and as providers we must always remember this; lets try putting ourselves in the interviewers shoes when we are doing our interviews and understand there anxieties.

I'm not perfect nor would I ever claim to be the best fit for everyone. For me I need to find a parent who is just like me. Agrees with my methods and approach to parenting. It's not easy these days as many parents want us to do 500% more than they would ever do on there own! For this there is pre schools and expensive centres!

Why can't people just let kids be kids anymore?

playfelt
07-18-2011, 09:41 PM
I have never gotten the whole police check concept. When it first came out it was for organizations and the sole purpose of protecting their butt in case something occurred. But for general use it became the be all and end all. But what does it really prove to anyone. It only tells you if the person has been convicted of a crime in the past 3 years or something like that. If the caregiver can give references to a steady stream of parents going further back then isn't that more important. Besides if there had been a breach against children by the caregiver her own children would have been removed from the home for safety would they not? And then they turn around and say you should renew it yearly or every other year which sounds to me like a cash grab by the province. In this midst of all this are people such as high school students with no proven background trying desparately to get their police checks to do work either paid or volunteer. I know I am in the minority on this belief but I have been in daycare long enough - 24 years to have seen just about every "band wagon" issue of the moment come and go.

Skysue
07-18-2011, 10:13 PM
I have never gotten the whole police check concept. When it first came out it was for organizations and the sole purpose of protecting their butt in case something occurred. But for general use it became the be all and end all. But what does it really prove to anyone. It only tells you if the person has been convicted of a crime in the past 3 years or something like that. If the caregiver can give references to a steady stream of parents going further back then isn't that more important. Besides if there had been a breach against children by the caregiver her own children would have been removed from the home for safety would they not? And then they turn around and say you should renew it yearly or every other year which sounds to me like a cash grab by the province. In this midst of all this are people such as high school students with no proven background trying desparately to get their police checks to do work either paid or volunteer. I know I am in the minority on this belief but I have been in daycare long enough - 24 years to have seen just about every "band wagon" issue of the moment come and go.

It's more just piece for of mind I think and if that's what it take then so be it! I do see where your comming from though! TRUST is a BIG issue for all of us!

fruitloop
07-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Wow! Hope my the babysitter who looks after my kids doesn't think like you. She has a decent rate. Cheaper than the daycares. Does that mean my kids get mediocre childcare?

As for first aid, most people in my place of business do not know first aid but you can bet there are designates that do including employees and definately building staff does. Whether mom and dad have first aid is of no concern to you. Your concern is the business you run and if you're equipped to handle immediate emergencies like choking and CPR. And if that is asking too much and then you shouldn't be looking after other people's children. We're paying you, remember??

Wow...that's harsh...and yes, you are paying us...but we don't work for you! We are NOT your employee. We are offering a service just like any other bussiness.

ConcernedParent
07-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Uhh, okay. You have your standards. I have mine. Yours makes you happy. And mine gets me through the day especially when my 2 year old is in the care of another for 9 hours a day 5 days a week. And if you think wanting first aid is harsh then you're definitely a service I wouldn't be needing. No hard feelings. I've got 1st aid and want the babysitter to have it too. Simple.

ConcernedParent
07-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Trust is earned. And when we send our kids to complete strangers we are desparetely in search of that trust factor. With my first born, I loved his babysitter from the second I met her. She had a beatiful personality and was very loving. Her house was clean, bright and toddler friendly. Her husband and children were just as charming. BUT as much as I liked her there was that trust factor because she was a stranger. So yes, the police check gave me a piece of mind. You are right. :o)

ConcernedParent
07-19-2011, 09:17 AM
That was supposed to be a smiley. Oops.

fruitloop
07-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Uhh, okay. You have your standards. I have mine. Yours makes you happy. And mine gets me through the day especially when my 2 year old is in the care of another for 9 hours a day 5 days a week. And if you think wanting first aid is harsh then you're definitely a service I wouldn't be needing. No hard feelings. I've got 1st aid and want the babysitter to have it too. Simple.

I wasn't refering to wanting your provider to have first aid. I have my first aid. I was refering to you thinking that we are your employee...that is harsh since it is completely false. I think every single person on the planet should have first aid no matter who you are.

ConcernedParent
07-19-2011, 11:08 AM
I think you misread my statement. I don't think that at all. :p

sunnydays
07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Although I have police checks done and would require it from a daycare provider, I also agree that they don't really prove a lot. All it proves is that the person has not been caught and convicted of a crime. You can have a clear police check and be a pedophile...it just means you haven't been caught. I completely understand why parents want it, but they should also understand that it doesn't mean they can trust the caregiver necessarily. For that they should rely more on instincts, references, and the child's behaviour as well as unscheduled drop-ins (I know this is not popular with a lot of providers, but as a provider, I am good with it as long as the parent takes the child home with them and I believe it should be done).

Emilys4Guppies
07-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I also allow unannounced drop-ins, so long as parents take their child when they leave. I am very upfront about that and encourage it, if they can on occasion. I think that it enables a certain amount of trust to simply tell a parent that you understand their concerns and have a plan to alleviate them.

playfelt
07-20-2011, 06:39 AM
I think most caregivers are ok with parents dropping in on occasion - but yes child must go with the parent so no just popping in on your coffee break or lunch hour and going back to work. As a caregiver though I always have to take the child's side in situations. While they are excited to go with mom what about them being in the middle of an activity that is going to take awhile or anxiously waiting their turn as in been promised they are next for the paint easel or after snack we will play the big blocks you like or that we are having cupcakes for afternap snack for a child's birthday or because we made them that morning just for fun. Then child is suddenly yanked away from their day. I really don't like it when the parent puts their insecurities first and doesn't take their child's feelings into consideration. And no too bad mom is not hanging out for the rest of the day - child will just miss out and no we are not doing it tomorrow just for him. We have a daily agenda.

sunnydays
07-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Playfelt: although I can see your point about the child missing out on acitivites etc, I just feel that as a parent, our number one job is to keep our kids safe and to do this, we have to know that they are being well cared for in their daycare. So, I feel as a parent, I would rather deal with a child who is upset about missing something than missing a potentially abusive or neglectful situation because I was too concerned about them missing something to drop in and take them home early. I have been on both sides and I know that it can be a pain as a provider, but I still feel strongly that parents should do it, especially in the beginning when they are getting to know the provider.

greenborodaycare
09-16-2011, 01:00 AM
I really feel that all of this is pointless. There was one woman in my area who was a "provider fr 20 years" I hate when they put that in their ads. Like who cares? what does that even mean??? other than your too old to be chasing five kids all day? anyway she was registered and all that stuff and was abusing kids.
ALSO..there was another case of a woman who was also with an agency and one of the children ended up drowning and dying because she had 22 kids in her home.

Parents let me make something very clear to you all---- Being licensed with an agency does not mean anything. I was with an agency for one year before I had enough and went out on my own privately. It was such false sense of security for parents. The "surprise visits" that were supposed to happen were NEVER a surprise. She would always call me to say she was coming on this day at this time. All the other providers in my area would sit around and laugh because the agency's they were with would also do the same. Call ahead of time.
Some times they would never even show and I remember 2 months went by without a visit from my agency at all!
Police records are great but are totally useless if the person hasn't been caught! And really do you know how hard it is to actually prove abuse?
The best thing is to go by references and even then you can't be sure. My neighbour two doors down gives out all her friends numbers and they pretend they brought their kids there. Some of them don't even have kids!!! :cursing:
It makes it very frustrating because I work very hard and I have an absolute blast with my kids.
We went to a museum last week and there four other daycare providers there...(i'm sure they have been doing it for "20 years" ) I was absolutely disturbed at how they spent the whole time being sarcastic with the kids, making snide remarks, telling them to STOP RUNNING! STOP YELLING! STOP TOUCHING THAT! COME OVER HERE! WHAT ARE YOU DOOOOIIIIINNNNNG!
We were in a childrens museum for gods sakes! Well i let my kids run around, I let them touch what they wanted I let them yell and have fun and I went down the tunnels and slides with them and made sure to laugh REAL loud. I took pictures and videos and sent them to their parents (i always do) who were of course very happy about that. All the while getting dirty looks from the miserable daycare ladies who may have been licensed.
Come to think of it I should have taken pictures and videos of how rotten the pther daycares were and how miserable the kids looked.

greenborodaycare
09-16-2011, 01:09 AM
one more thing...
I don't understand what you guys mean when you say drop in visits are ok but they have to take their kids? Why must they take their kids? I think it would make me feel uneasy if someone said you can stop by but you have to take your kid when you leave.
I don't mind if parents stop by unannounced for 15 minutes. I don't make them take their kids...I just offer them coffee and continue doing what I was doing. Sometimes they join me, sometimes they watch, mostly they say they wanna quit their job and do daycare LOL

playfelt
09-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Only one comment - you obviously haven't been doing daycare for 20 or more years have you. You will learn a lot over time....hang in there.

greenborodaycare
09-16-2011, 10:22 AM
only one comment - you obviously are one of those people I am talking about.

I have learnt A LOT from all the other providers. I have learnt how NOT to act around children that parents are trusting me with.

zen39
09-16-2011, 10:38 AM
only one comment - you obviously are one of those people I am talking about.

I have learnt A LOT from all the other providers. I have learnt how NOT to act around children that parents are trusting me with.

There are many great and loving daycare providers that have 20 years experience. Perhaps you witnessed some that weren't as wonderful as others. But, there are also plenty of new daycare providers who do the same things you described.

I think most experienced providers can provide lots of helpful advice and take great care of their little ones. We have several on this site that do just that. I've learned lots from them. To be in the business for 20 years, they obviously have a love of children, because they certainly are not doing it for the money.

Rhonda
09-16-2011, 12:39 PM
I have learnt A LOT from all the other providers. I have learnt how NOT to act around children that parents are trusting me with.[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree that by watching other providers you can learn what type of provider you want to be or what you do or don't want to do with your children. Whether the caregiver has been in daycare 1 year or 20 years.

Please do not bash all caregivers who have been in this business more than 20 years! Or do not assume that they are all too old. A friend of mine and I, both have 20 years experience in the childcare field and we are not even 38 yet, so we are not too old to provide childcare! Plus age is irrelavant, I have seen a caregiver of 50 years old provide better childcare than a 25 year old.

There are all types of caregivers in the world, all with our different philosophies and beliefs. In my eyes some are better than others, but just like there are different types of caregivers there are different types of parents who love the caregivers that I believe aren't so good.

waterloo day mom
09-16-2011, 12:52 PM
children expect that when their parents come back, that they will be going home with them. Some older children might understand that they are only here for a visit (I have had 3yr olds pulled out for dr appointments etc) but children under the age of 2 have no grasp of that concept. They get upset and anxious about the fact that their parent(s) have come back and are leaving them.

Would people please stop making assumptions about other providers and their practices. It is honestly just as bad as racism, sexism, etc. To assume that someone cannot do their job because of any reason (age, lack of their own children, race, marital status, etc) is downright narrow minded. I understand that people are simply looking out for their children, but please actually get to know a provider and see them with the children in their care before you make assumptions and discredit them. Judgements based on stereotypes are wrong.

Sandbox Sally
09-16-2011, 02:23 PM
I really feel that all of this is pointless. There was one woman in my area who was a "provider fr 20 years" I hate when they put that in their ads. Like who cares? what does that even mean??? other than your too old to be chasing five kids all day?

That's unfair. I am forty years old. I have not been a daycare provider for 20 years, but I most certainly am old enough to have been doing so. Believe me when I tell you that I have NO trouble keeping up with the toddlers I care for, as well somehow finding the energy (despite my advanced age:rolleyes:) to homeschool and play with my own children as well as clean my house, make dinner and do homework after my dck's have gone home for the day. This is a generally peaceful message board for daycare providers who have a mutual respect for one another. Please think before you post. Thanks!

horsegirl
09-19-2011, 12:47 PM
There are some daycares that are licensed in B.C. and I would not have sent my children to them, nor would I have sent my dog for doggy day care. But, there are more great, safe, nurturing, loving daycares out there than there are unsafe ones. I have been licensed for 15 years and my hazard rating with the Health Authority is the lowest in our area. I love what I do. I offer preschool type programming, arts, crafts, reading (story time), circle time and many other educational components. I have a waiting list of parents that want to enroll in my daycare. I offer parents a list of parents whose children have come to my care, are enrolled now, neighbour's phone #, and personnal friends #'s. This way the parents can get a feel of who I am and what I offer to the families. I insist that the parents sit on on a few hours of daycare with me (without their child) and they can decide if they feel comfortable with me and what I do. When we go out on field trips and it is not an area that is specifically for children, they do not touch anything, they do not run, they do not scream. They have to learn to respect the other people around them.

I love what I do and I am probably older than many of you. I run daycare from 7AM - 5:30PM, and still have time to make dinner, clean house & daycare area, set up for next day, and ride my horse. I am very active and when we have a sports day at the daycare I race the children. Children cry because they have to go home.

We as caregivers need to stick together, it is a very difficult and lonely job and we need to support each other. Newer caregivers can learn from the more experienced caregivers. Don't look at the negative actions of a caregiver, but the positive actions from a quality caregiver. :yes:

By the way, in my daycare parents may come by at anytime, but when children have said goodbye in the morning and now they have to say goodbye again the child starts to feel abandoned by their parent. When they feel this way enough they start to build walls and you will find that the child will bond with his peers over bonding with an adult. Also, the child may start crying at this feeling of being abandoned and it affects the others and they will start feeling upset. This is not fair to any of the children. That is why if a child starts crying when a parent leaves after a quick visit then they must take them with them. Caregivers should not be judged by how quickly they can stop a child from crying, but by the love, support and nurturing care that they offer.

Judy Trickett
09-19-2011, 02:03 PM
We as caregivers need to stick together, it is a very difficult and lonely job and we need to support each other. Newer caregivers can learn from the more experienced caregivers. Don't look at the negative actions of a caregiver, but the positive actions from a quality caregiver. :yes:

I completely agree with this sentiment. We need to be supportive of one another. We learn from one another if we are open to it. I have learned from newbie providers, veteran providers and all those in between with respect to experience. I have learned from quality providers and those needing to learn how to offer a better quality daycare experience. I have learned from those I agree with as well as those whose opinions and philosophy differs from my own.

If you are open to learn then every provider you encounter can and should be your teacher.;)

Momof4
12-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Eeks, I was a Mom at 19, a Grandma at 38 and I've been a grandma for a while now. I always worked outside the home, but I got sick of making other corporations rich and working with (sorry) total bitches, and I bet a lot of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I was never self-employed before but when I decided to start this home daycare business I came in cold and had a lot to learn. Thankfully, in my first year in business I found a wonderful group of co-workers (other like-minded home daycare providers) who taught me to be strong, to stand up for myself, to create an iron-clad contract and to respect myself so that my clients will respect me. I'm doing great now thanks to a wonderful support system with other HDCP's in my area. I am so lucky.

I never want to work with horrible women again or for a big company again and it looks like my daycare is a huge success so I won't have that worry now. I have a long waiting list of people in case I ever have another space open up. I keep my CPR/first aid up to date but have not bothered with a police check since I'm the only person in the house and if people can't see that I'm trustworthy and honest from day one then I don't want them here anyway.

I offer a wonderful program, field trips with medical info forms always in my possession, and I always tell the parents my plans for the day and our locations with expected times in case of any emergencies on their parts so they will know where to find their children.

Sandbox Sally
01-04-2012, 01:54 PM
I totally agree on all the points you mentioned because kids safety and their protection is the most important thing.but i always prefer that instead than keep a individual daycare its always better to keep them in daycare school because they are very professional and provides the best daycare services its the best place for kids safety.There are so many kids care who are done just the best work to grow up kids in a lovingly environment.

Sorry, who ARE you? Are you an earnest child care provider wishing to share information on this site, or are you some spammer? I ask you this because you have posted replies to a few threads here with pretty much the SAME answer - that home daycares are not favourable, and that daycare centres are safer and better. My nose is a little out of joint. I would never disrespect your business. Please don't disrespect mine.

horsegirl
01-05-2012, 10:18 AM
In British Columbia a family childcare provider looking after more than 2 children must be licensed with the Ministry of Children and Families and we must adhere to all regulations. A licensing officer will drop in unannounced to do an inspection of the daycare and provider. We need childsafe first aid, criminal record searches for all family members every 5 years, a stimulating educational program, proper sleeping arrangements, building and plumber inspections, etc etc... I know many in home (family daycare) providers and they offer safe, nurturing, quality care. I also know many daycare centres where there are allegations and investigations regarding abuse (mental, physical, emotional and neglect). Children have gone missing in centres, walking out the door without any of the many caregivers noticing. There are usually so many caregivers in a centre that the children have trouble bonding with anyone of them, there is no mother figure for them to cling to. There are so many children in the centres that many children do not get the hugs and comforting that they need because there is not enough time for all of them. There is a lot of bullying because caregivers have trouble monitoring to many children. I have had many discussions with a very well known Canadian child psychologist who sees no redeeming value in sending children under 7years old to an institutional/centre based daycare. I am sure there are some quality centres but I certainly would not have sent my boys to this sort of care. In my opinion Family (in home) daycare has much more to offer than the large institutional centres. :yes:

Skysue
01-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Sorry, who ARE you? Are you an earnest child care provider wishing to share information on this site, or are you some spammer? I ask you this because you have posted replies to a few threads here with pretty much the SAME answer - that home daycares are not favourable, and that daycare centres are safer and better. My nose is a little out of joint. I would never disrespect your business. Please don't disrespect mine.

I just thought I was reading the same post over from last night? I am very confused emmaball? I even stuck up for you? For someone who is suppose to be Christian you are extremely closed minded and if the daycare center you work for is in California like on your link then this is not the forum for you.

The members of this site are extremely professional, compassionate, loving daycare providers who work out of our homes. Our focus is safety, education, and teaching amazing core values. We care and love the children we watch. So if centers are your focus please go and find a forum for like-minded individuals.

mamaof4
01-05-2012, 01:01 PM
I think this is one area that people may have to agree to disagree on.

diapermaven
09-18-2012, 06:39 PM
I think this is one area that people may have to agree to disagree on.

Absolutely. It really comes down to what you feel is best for your child. I may weigh certain criteria more heavily such as diet and physical exercise, than others. Obviously the criteria each person uses will inform their decision.

kidlove
09-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Thats it, do "your" homework (whatever that may be credentials/no credentials) but at the end of the day, whatever is most important to each specific parent keep this in mind.....the well being of your child falls on YOU, not the provider you choose. If the person you go with is un-fit for whatever reason, it's because of you making a poor choice or a "mistake" in so many cases. Bottom line, trust your gut, do "your" homework, and trust in the Good Lord that you made the right choice. Just as you choose to work outside the home=your responsibilty, you also choose the person who takes your child=your responsibility

playfelt
07-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately what people don't see is the child that is so tired from not being put to bed on time and dragged out to daycare early in the morning they can barely walk a straight line let alone climb or run or swing, or not fed a nutritious enough breakfast to make it through or never taught by their parents that it is ok to not have a parent hold the pail while you scoop sand into it lest it tip over and spill on you. Caregivers rarely complain about a child as the child - so much of what we tolerate is not the child's fault and we don't take it out on the child but there is no way to train a parent that refuses to parent other than to terminate them and send their misguided selves on to become someone else's problem family.