PDA

View Full Version : Oddball Parents

Other Mummy
09-26-2012, 06:00 PM
I think we can all write books by now on some of the horror stories we've encountered with parents. :rolleyes:

I thought it would be fun to write about some of the Odd characters we've come across. I have one set of parents that are great...however these are the folks that send their child to daycare at least once a month with painted RED toenails. Last week the child was wearing MASCARA! And by the way....this is a daycare BOY. Not that it should matter...but who the heck puts mascara on a 2 year old??:no: They made a little joke when they dropped him off about the mascara. I must have had my mouth open in shock. As soon as I shut the door I took him into the bathroom with my trusty baby oil and washed it off as it was already starting to smear across his upper eyelid. :no:

Oh and the dad polishes his nails red as well. Not the first time either.:blink: I know cause its been flip flop season pretty much up until last week.

Any strange folks you've come across in this line of work....well I'm sure plenty:woot: but I mean what anecdotes can you share with us?

Lou
09-26-2012, 07:05 PM
You'd find me strange then! When I'm painting mine and my daughter's toenails, and if my 2 yrs old son wants some I don't refuse. There's no way he'd understand at that age that nail painting is a more socially acceptable female activity and I wouldn't want him to define genders anyways. Doesn't hurt anybody. Mascara though, that's a bit much! I'd be worried about it getting in his eye!

I had an oddball dad last summer continuously stare at my chest the entire time he spoke with me and once came in at DROP OFF, sat on my couch and stayed for 35 min!!! I put that crap to a end, and thankfully Mom did most of the pick up and drop offs *shudder*.

I had an interview with a Mom who wanted me to help her 12 month old begin tracing letters and follow the kindergarten curriculum as well as begin potty training her, LOL- think I went with her???? HA!

I have a Mom right now with a weird mannerism of constantly having her face in a pinched facial expression...like she's constipated, lol. She's very VERY sweet and awesome to deal with so I feel bad even saying that but I wish she could see how she looks when she does that!!!

mimi
09-27-2012, 11:03 AM
my very first client was a mom who would look gorgeous one morning and the next look like she'd been to hell and back. She had the most wonderful daughter who loved coming to my daycare and it turns out my home was one of the few stable places for her to be and that is why I put up with her mom's ridiculous behaviour. Every drop off came with a story about HER. In the two years she came to me she........... moved 4 times, divorced her husband, had about six boyfriends,went on about six caribbean vacations, always cried poor, always had issues with her neighbors, moved in a runaway teenage "nanny" to help her after she kicked her husband out, the nanny had a wild wild party while she was away and completely trashed the house, mom came home and dragged her down the stairs and beat her up on the front lawn - police came and arrested her and the topping on this cake of drama, she was embezzaling the company she worked for by issuing insurance claims in her boyfriends names. She cried poor to a private school and they educated her children for FREE! My husband asked me how I did it and I told him her drama was like watching a soap opera. Here's the clincher, she talked me up so much at work I have had 7 clients from the same business including the book keeper who blew the whistle on her insurance fraud. :laugh:

sunnydays
09-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Okay, Mimi, I am not sure if anyone can top that! Kudos to you for surviving that and givign the poor child some stability!!! Red toenails on a boy I would have no problem wiht, but mascara on any child would bother me...I don't think children should be wearing make-up...just my opinion!

kidlove
09-27-2012, 12:31 PM
That was awsome Mimi.....haha too funny. The "Hell and back" part made me laugh the hardest, sounds like she would win the award for "best parent EVER!" :)

kidlove
09-27-2012, 12:35 PM
I have had the "boy who wears makeup", had an older sister and loved watching Mom put her makeup on! always asked if he could wear it too. Get this....it would be the "all day 16 hour" lipstick.....so I just had to look at this poor kid all day with bright red lips!:wub:
Kids don't really understand what they are asking for, they just want everything you have,sometimes you just gotta make the right choice for them. :)

kidlove
09-27-2012, 12:38 PM
oh, I did have a Mom who , I'm almost positive, had bi-polar disorder....she was a great lady but some days was "pissed off" looking and quiet, and other days she would laugh uncontrolably when I would say something that wasn't even funny. really uncomfortable.....ju st stand there and watch her....:laugh:ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! for like a minute and just wait til she was done. very awkward!

apples and bananas
09-27-2012, 01:05 PM
I had a mom who sent me a text right around lunch time that said "don't feel XXXX milk today, i just read an article about cows and the hormones and I don't want him drinking cows milk anymore" LOL That family is no longer with me.

Albertachick
09-27-2012, 01:57 PM
I had a phone call from a potential client. I explained that at the time I was full.
They asked if there was anyone I wanted to get rid of, so that their child could come to my dayhome.

apples and bananas
09-27-2012, 04:00 PM
I had a phone call from a potential client. I explained that at the time I was full.
They asked if there was anyone I wanted to get rid of, so that their child could come to my dayhome.

Hahahaha... that made me laugh. Just thinking of a client saying that to me... I may hesiatate and think about it for a moment.

samantha3
09-27-2012, 04:11 PM
I have one parent who has the same concern or question every couple months! It is so aggravating, I have finally started to document everything so I can remind her... we talked about this on this date and this was the response... remember? lol

Sandbox Sally
09-28-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure what the issue is with nail polish and makeup on boys. If it's ok for little girls to play dress up, why not little boys?

I had a daycare parent who sought me out two weeks before going back to work (we lived in a city that had a very low supply of any type of daycare, the kind of place where you look while you're still pregnant), but I had a part time space for her son. We had a great interview, and then when they were leaving, she mentioned in passing that she'd like for me to EC her 12 mo kid, and oh by the way, we are vegan, and so is he, so nothing he eats can come into contact with animal product of any kind.

Um. No. LOL!!! :D

kidlove
09-28-2012, 01:11 PM
The ONE thing that drives me up the wall is when parents won't let their little boy play with a doll or the little girl push the truck....how sexist really? who's to say that boy won't become a great Daddy some day because his daycare provider allowed him to snuggle dollies or the little girl won't be one of the best heavy equiptment operators because she had a fixation with trucks as a little girl? Now those are the things that drive me nuts, regarding boy /girl habits. The paint? I painted my sons thumb nail when he asked when little , never pushed to do all his toes or do it all the time. And never suggested it was "pretty" would usually say "cool!" :)